Now Annette out of Nightwish

Sorry, I forgot they are platinum in Finland...what is that like 10 albums? I'm sure they have huge gross proceeds but extract the label cut and the expenses of their touring machine, agents, crew, etc., and split up the remainder of what's left between the band members. Don't know what your idea of wealthy is but if I had to guess I'd say these guys do about as well as your dentist. (Which is to say they probably do fine, but aren't diving into a money bin like Scrooge McDuck.)

Sorry, I forgot they are platinum in Finland...what is that like 10 albums? I'm sure they have huge gross proceeds but extract the label cut and the expenses of their touring machine, agents, crew, etc., and split up the remainder of what's left between the band members. Don't know what your idea of wealthy is but if I had to guess I'd say these guys do about as well as your dentist. (Which is to say they probably do fine, but aren't diving into a money bin like Scrooge McDuck.)

Merchandise is how bands get wealthy.

According to Wiki they have over 9 million album sales worldwide.

They also tour to 600+ people, which means they are making as a group probably close to $40k a week touring (including merchandise). I'm guessing that on average, a member of Nightwish makes around $120k a year. Yet, due to licensing, and other things in Europe, I could be way off and they might be making a lot more than this.

A band that sells 5000+ tickets in LA @ $75 a pop, and 13,000 + in Zurich with tickets STARTING at @ $70, selling as many albums as they do, and making enough money to finance a movie that has spawned a musical album, and has seen profits big enough for 2 seperate singers to see the need for hiring their own personal managers probably are doing just a little bit better than a down the street dentist.

I don't think anyone in this band is ever going to be in danger of having to move back home.

By the way, Platinum in Finland is 20,000 album sales. But that's small potatoes considering they've sold over 7 million copies of Imaginarium.

You seem to be completely unaware of the magnitude of the Nightwish "brand". While I don't have exact numbers, I have been told how much a Nightwish show costs a promoter. I've seen many times how much merchandise they sell at a show (the NYC show a few weeks ago was a great example - 2,800 people present and an unbelievable amount of merch sold). I am pretty damn sure they're doing pretty well.

Also, my dentist makes around 200,000/year. Sorry, but to me that's pretty fucking good.

I'm guessing that on average, a member of Nightwish makes around $120k a year. Yet, due to licensing, and other things in Europe, I could be way off and they might be making a lot more than this.

That's a pretty good living! It's about how much my husband and I make at our day-jobs, comparable to a lot of college grads and such. I wouldn't want to lose that job either, but I think the disconnect is whether or not Anette thought it was a job, or a partnership. I'm sure everyone here might think she knew she was just an employee, a hired gun if you will.. but by the way she spoke, that may not have been the case.

All this being said, none of us know the truth. All we can do is speculate based on what happened publicly.

I don't think anyone in this band is ever going to be in danger of having to move back home.

I doubt this is the case with Nightwish, but this kind of stuff always makes me think of Joey DeMaio...

Merchandise is how bands get wealthy.

According to Wiki they have over 9 million album sales worldwide.

They also tour to 600+ people, which means they are making as a group probably close to $40k a week touring (including merchandise). I'm guessing that on average, a member of Nightwish makes around $120k a year. Yet, due to licensing, and other things in Europe, I could be way off and they might be making a lot more than this.

Yeah, that's somewhere in the range I was guessing too...a good living, upper middle class by US standards but not wealthy. Definitely not enough for me to put up with someone I really don't like if I'm spending a ton of time with them in the studio and on the road AND am supposed to be creative with them AND put off a good vibe on stage. That's all I'm saying. There are 7 billion people out there, you'd think they could find the right person.

On the other hand, maybe my logic is completely flipped and they won't let the singer be a partner because they can't afford to split the profits that way.

If floor was performing at PPUSA, I woulda bought tickets for Wednesday AND Thursday.

Floor = Awesomest female singer I've seen at PPUSA. Sorry Simone!!!

This.

I saw this thread first and immediately thought Floor should be the next singer for them before reading the blabbercrap link (as she should have after Tarja). She is already doing the tour if at personal level she is a good fit, there is no better singer for Nightwish than Floor out there period!

Also, my dentist makes around 200,000/year. Sorry, but to me that's pretty fucking good.

I guess the question is, if you're a musician, is that enough money to make you work and spend a lot of time with someone you really don't like or consider an equal? That's the mental hurdle I'm having a hard time getting over. I'm sure the 4 guys in Nightwish started off in a garage just like everyone else and had all the idealistic notions about what a band is that everyone of us has or at least had at one point. Nobody starts out in the garage with their buddies and says "man, some day we're gonna hire a singer and make her an employee and we'll conquer the world!"

I'd just like to point out that Josh has a very romantic ideal concerning music creation, and that for the most part, believes in a My Little Pony-esque "power of friendship" way of living that allows us all to tour together without the desire to murder eachother.

I guess the question is, if you're a musician, is that enough money to make you work and spend a lot of time with someone you really don't like or consider an equal? That's the mental hurdle I'm having a hard time getting over. I'm sure the 4 guys in Nightwish started off in a garage just like everyone else and had all the idealistic notions about what a band is that everyone of us has or at least had at one point. Nobody starts out in the garage with their buddies and says "man, some day we're gonna hire a singer and make her an employee and we'll conquer the world!"

No, it's not enough for me and you've said it isn't enough for you, but it's obviously enough for them. Nightwish may have started with friends and an acoustic guitar around a campfire, but the current band (even though it contains some of the same members) has nothing to do with that. It's a mobile, money-printing juggernaut, the members know it, and they're okay with it. Annette couldn't keep up, and she's gone, there isn't anything more to it.

No, it's not enough for me and you've said it isn't enough for you, but it's obviously enough for them. Nightwish may have started with friends and an acoustic guitar around a campfire, but the current band (even though it contains some of the same members) has nothing to do with that. It's a mobile, money-printing juggernaut, the members know it, and they're okay with it. Annette couldn't keep up, and she's gone, there isn't anything more to it.

Can't argue with any of that. Kind of makes it hard to be a fan though.

I guess I can start paying attention to Nightwish again. Floor would definitely be a great replacement, but if NW is looking for an "employee" rather than a partner she might not fit. Xandria's new singer, on the other hand, would be perfect for the job.

Floor is amazing, GO! I can't say I ever expected to see her in any form performing in New Orleans!

Yes indeed. I hoped that she was available back in 2006 when Nightwish was looking for a new singer.

Just for a taster to those attending the gigs on the rest of the US tour, here's Floor covering "She Is My Sin" with After Forever back in 2006.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me its never been the singer, so that's why its easier to stay as a fan with these shake-ups. It's not a branding monster, its a person writing lyrics and concepts that continue to intrigue me.
They do make a crap ton of money though...that is no secret

Sick video!

That was quick! I don't think there will be mudslinging like their was under previous circumstances, though.

"Tarja rejoining the band..." et all, ad naseam, ad infinitum...

"Wish"ful thinking. That (hopefully) will not and will never happen. Of course, the Tarja fanboys are going to be harping on this news story and getting their tightie whities in a bunch over speculation that that will indeed happen.

This is like the Arch and Di'Anno fanboys venting their continuous hopes over 20+ years that their respective bands will get their original vocalists back... :) That said, Nightwish the band is far better (and more successful) with a vocalist who isn't showing off their operatic vocal chops, piercing eardrums and shattering glasses at all stops. If you like Tarja - listen to her solo CD's. All the interested parties have moved on.

Regardless, the 2 shows I've seen of Nightwish this year were great, their last 2 CD's were great, and hopefully they'll work this stuff out behind the scenes, away from the trolls and drama-loving Blabbermouth and Tarja fanatics.

Regardless, this sucks. Should be interesting to see where they go and how Floor fits into the band... Back to the musical drawing board!