NVanDyk-Best wishes to you

Nick,

I want to add my thoughts, prayers, and support to what's already poured out from our community. I was completely shocked to learn of your condition from a mutual friend on Thursday, and wish I could have done something to be supportive during the treatments, but I understand your desire for privacy at that time.

Like a few others on here, I actually teared up in reading your statement (and blog) and imagining what it's been like for you and your family. It brought me back to the first time I met you, at ProgPower 1.0, standing outside of J.J. Kelley's in Chicago with Ray, having no idea you even were a musician yourself, and then to listening to TFOT in your car outside In-and-Out Burgers and being amazed by it, then back to seeing you ON the ProgPower stage with Redemption, and finally in full circle, back to your current situation, in a mad whirlwind of thought. I'm so incredibly sorry for what you and your family have been through, with both your and your daughter's health issues.

I've dealt with cancer four different times in three different relatives in the past few years (twice being Mom), so I know all too well the emotional and physical rollercoaster of diagnosis, treatment and wondering if it's going to even work. Your treatment has obviously been even more intense and traumatic than most, so I can't imagine what you and your family have been through. Thankfully, it sounds like it's been well worth it.

I commend your bravery, openness, determination to overcome, desire to help others (ie. your blog), and positive attitude. You're truly an exceptional person in every way, and you *continue* to have my unending admiration, support, and respect. I'm beyond thrilled at the latest news that it's in remission, but even so....if there's anything whatsoever I can do, ever, please let me know. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers for continued good news.

Best always,

Craig
P.S. The new CD is beyond incredible. :) In particular, thank you for "What Will You Say"...it touched me on a very personal level as few songs ever have.

Nick, best wishes on a full recovery.

By the way .. the new disc is incredible. I've been a bit of a critic in the past, but this time it all came together for me. Excellent disc. I'm counting on many more excellent releases in the future ;)

Britt

WOW, I'm stunned...It seems in Nick's own words he is staying positive and focused on beating this....That is what WILL get him through! If you can stay strong and focused at your lowest of lows you can accomplish ANYTHING! Nick, when you are feeling your sickest and most pain think of how many people care about you and will be there no matter what! ALL MY BEST AND STAY Strong!..Tom Argo

WOW, I'm stunned...It seems in Nick's own words he is staying positive and focused on beating this....That is what WILL get him through!

Agreed. In the event that anything like this happens to me (God forbid), I hope I can face it with the courage and logic that Nick has shown.

The great friendships, music, and support surrounding this thread all came together in Lansing, IL, at a little bar called J.J. Kelley's, so I thought it would be appropriate to link in this photo. I found it in the ultimatemetal.com photo section...(Nick had uploaded it, FYI).

If nothing else, I thought Glenn, Nick, and Ray might enjoy it:

MeRayandHarvester.jpg

Take care,

Craig

The great friendships, music, and support surrounding this thread all came together in Lansing, IL, at a little bar called J.J. Kelley's, so I thought it would be appropriate to link in this photo. I found it in the ultimatemetal.com photo section...(Nick had uploaded it, FYI).

If nothing else, I thought Glenn, Nick, and Ray might enjoy it:

MeRayandHarvester.jpg

Take care,

Craig

Damn, I got fat!!! :)

One is supposed to LOSE weight during cancer treatment, except the stupid corticosteroid they put me on ensured that wouldn't happen.

I found out about your condition at PPUSA and somebody pointed me to your post (the one Glenn copied here). You've been in my prayers since that day. I didn't want to post here out of respect for your privacy, but since you've posted here, I want to add my well wishes to those of everybody else here.

It sounds like you've been able to maintain a really positive attitude, and I'm confident that more than anything, that will see you through this successfully. I'm really glad to hear that you've won the first battles. Hopefully, those will be the last and you will recover from the side effects quickly and easily, so you can live a long life.

I'm quite sure I can add nothing new to this thread. The outpouring of well wishes and heartfelt expressions of gratitude are amazing to read.

I echo them all, especially my dual appreciation for Nick's music and his genuinely-nice-guy personality. Imagine what the world would be like if more Nick van Dyks lived in it!

Nick, my wife and I hold you and your family in our thoughts and prayers. We look forward to reading a post from you (hopefully in the not-too-distant future) that tells us you have beaten the disease.

Thank you for your music. Redemption rocked my world from the first CD, and continues to do so today. But, more important, thank you for showing us what grace under pressure looks like. Truly, you are an inspiration.

Bill

Damn, I got fat!!! :)

One is supposed to LOSE weight during cancer treatment, except the stupid corticosteroid they put me on ensured that wouldn't happen.

I'd rather have a Nick with a little more meat on his bones, then to have the alternative!

A few years ago I was at the Rochester airport and ran into Lou Gramm of Foreigner. Poor Lou was the recipient of receiving an extra security wand post 9/11. He had recently fought a brain tumor and was suffering the effects of post-cancer treatment and that was one of the first things he said was something like "I'm surprised you recognized me."

It's only weight, the person we all like is still there!

Nick,

I can't say anything more than what has already been said, but I just wanted to let you know that you and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. You are an amazing human being Nick and you inspire me in ways that no other has. You are truly a hero.

Nick, my thoughts are with you. Thank you so much for surprising us all at ProgPower this year. I met you for the first time at PP2, and I know I will be seeing you there again for many years to come!

Lorraine