Poll: Which bands should return?

Select 3 Bands to Return

• Total voters
Brainstorm, Silent Force, and Wuthering Heights (people don't like them, for some reason). The best performance of them all was Tad Morose, but without Urban Breed, I don't know how good can they be.

One Orphaned Land was one too many...

Sentinel said:
One Orphaned Land was one too many...

Not to most people in this forum, apparently. I find much easier to see Orphaned Land returning than Silent Force, Tad Morose or Wuthering Heights that you mentioned...

In fact, Orphaned Land alone as of right now has more votes than those three combined together.

Seriously, if Valden Pas and Pagan's mind end up on the bill in the same year, I may have to kill myself harder than I did when Piece Of Shit played the same song for 3 hours.

nailz said:
Seriously, if Valden Pas and Pagan's mind end up on the bill in the same year, I may have to kill myself harder than I did when Piece Of Shit played the same song for 3 hours.
They were on the same bill @ PPIV, which seemed to work out pretty well. Pagan's Mind slew the crowd leaving corpses for Secret Sphere to pick over.

Devin Townsend Band, Therion and Orphaned Land. I'd have cheated and voted for Superior (and possibly Adagio :)) had they been on the list.

Glenn, I think more than two returning bands would be okay in the future if they are drop-dead GREAT, popular choices. The ProgPower 'stable' of past performers has too many great bands now. :headbang:

nailz said:
Sorry, that wasn't a corpse, I just fell asleep for their set. :p
Quite all right. Everybody else slept through Secret Sphere's :p

Return bands are a wash. If I like them sure 4-5 would be fine, but I'd hate 4-5 bands I didn't like.

nailz said:

nailz - I couldn't agree with you more on the PoS comment. And I have no comment on VP, since the couple of songs I've ever heard are less than memorable for me. But have you listened to Pagans Mind lately? I never gave them much thought either until I checked out the latest album enigmatic: calling. There's plenty of raw energy to be had balanced well with their progressive talent. One thing I hate is a band who relies too much on keyboards. And this is not one of those bands. You should really give them half a chance. I did, and speaking as a long time Power-Headed music fan, I do not regret it.

Otherwise, I'm right there with ya bro - carrying the Power Metal flag! :headbang:

All I remember is hearing "Through Osiris' Eyes", loving it, buying a Pagan's Mind CD in good faith, popping it in the CD player on the drive down to progpower, and nearly choking on my own puke. I have never been more tempted to throw a CD out the window of a moving car. They were, like I said, "meh" live.

So, in all fairness, I have not listened to them since then, nor do I really care to, and unless they've revamped everything about themselves, I'm quite sure I will continue to be an asshole about them coming back, but due to their obvious popularity, it seems I will be suffering through another set. I just pray they're not a 4th slot.

Vanden Plas seemed to be doing just fine in the voting, so I threw my three to:

Pagan's Mind - quickly has become one of my faves after seeing them live
Threshold - ditto
Nightingale - because I wasn't there the first time around, and I seem to spin these cd's ALL the time.

:Smokin:

IMO Any future ProgPower that does not include the possibility of SymphX is just sad.

(Still hoping for a surprise appearance by Sir Russel this September)

Three out of the four "qualifying" bands in this poll are from the PPIV show--in many ways that was the best of the 5 shows I have seen...

I voted Brainstorm, Vanden Plas, and Silent Force. BrainStorm simply put on one of the best crowd pleasing performances I have witnessed in the 4 progpowers I have been to. VandenPlas with the OUTSTANDING new cd, and Silent Force because I missed them.
I think limiting repeat performers is fine with me for now simply because there are many bands I would love to see at progpower that have yet to appear. I.E. Nocturnal Rites, Mob Rules, Hammerfall, AT Vance, Doro, Altaria....etc...

The only 2 bands I would really like to see on that list are Jag Panzer and Tad Morose.

I also chose Pagan's Mind. They're ok.