Press Release

Glenn, you evil, evil man,
If Stratovarius isn't the big deal this year, then this has got to be (or had better be) something absolutely shit-your-pants-tastic! You have to start growing one of those Dick Dastardly styled mustaches so you can twirl it as you make these sort of announcements.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

Sautherom said:
Old school band will be the biggest new? Grave Digger? Running Wild? Accept??.. i prefer the last one :)

Grave Digger and Running Wild, and even Accept isn't as big as Strato. This has to be huge I am talking DT(that would be stupid), FW(glenn's already tried), Ayreon, Conception reunion(probably not big enough), The reunion of Hear N' Aid playing We Are Stars!

BTW, if we could get all the bands at the end to play We Are Stars :headbang:

Bigger than Strato..... Sends shivers up the spine indeed. :)

Can't think of too much that could qualify for that. Rhapsody? Arguably bigger.... Ayreon or Star One? THAT would be great!

I'm looking forward to listening to CM as soon as these downloads complete. (Slightly annoying site, though, pop-up window is kinda cramped.)

This is very exciting news!

This year's festival is gonna be like being in Europe minus the long plane ride (giggle).

I've never been a Stratovarius fan. Admittedly, I haven't listened to their music a great deal, but the vocalist always struck me as not very powerful (could have been the mix) and the guitar player sounds like he should be paying Yngwie royalties. That being said, I'm not complaining. Glenn puts on the best damn show on the planet, and I'd still be coming even if Stratovarius was the only band playing the festival.

So as I always do, on the rare occasions when Glenn picks a band I don't care for, I revisit their material and give them a second chance to win me over. So, to all you Strat fans out there, which CDs would you recommend? Thanks.

Zod

General Zod said:
I've never been a Stratovarius fan. Admittedly, I haven't listened to their music a great deal, but the vocalist always struck me as not very powerful (could have been the mix) and the guitar player sounds like he should be paying Yngwie royalties. That being said, I'm not complaining. Glenn puts on the best damn show on the planet, and I'd still be coming even if Stratovarius was the only band playing the festival.

So as I always do, on the rare occasions when Glenn picks a band I don't care for, I revisit their material and give them a second chance to win me over. So, to all you Strat fans out there, which CDs would you recommend? Thanks.

Zod

I would try Destiny or Infinite..........

General Zod said:

Zod, I definitely recommend their "middle era" cd's - 4th Dimension, Episode and Visions (with Visions being my absolute favorite). (Episode and Visions contain some of my favorite power metal songs of all time - Father Time, Visions and Black Diamond among others).

The title track off of the Destiny album also rules - but I don't feel the album as a whole has the staying power of the above mentioned platters.

Let me know if you need some uploads as I have them all except Elements Part 2. And for the record - I'm definitely STOKED about Stratovarius.

Dark One said:
Let me know if you need some uploads as I have them all except Elements Part 2. And for the record - I'm definitely STOKED about Stratovarius.
Thanks. I'm actually set, as a friend hooked me up with a bunch of Strat stuff to check out. I'm listening to "Destiny" as I type this.

Zod

General Zod said:
Thanks. I'm actually set, as a friend hooked me up with a bunch of Strat stuff to check out. I'm listening to "Destiny" as I type this.

Zod

Visions is also my favorite from Stratovarius. I'm thinking you might like about half of it. They do have some top cuts, so I'm guessing they will be pretty tolerable live. We'll have to be sure to get good and drunk by the time they hit the stage.

Britt

DarkTide said:
Visions is also my favorite from Stratovarius. I'm thinking you might like about half of it. They do have some top cuts, so I'm guessing they will be pretty tolerable live. We'll have to be sure to get good and drunk by the time they hit the stage.

Britt
I like the way you think.:kickass:

I'm thinking Strat should be fun live. The problem I seem to have with them, is that their music doesn't hit me as powerfull. However, in a live setting, volume alone should take care of that. I also imagine that the energy in the building for Strat should be such that it makes for a fun show.

The band I'm kind of curious about is Therion. I'm curious to see how they do, what they do, live.

By the way, I've seriously got my fingers crossed for Pyramaze.

Zod

I see them as very powerful. I'll be getting some more albums for the fest, as right now I only have 'Infinite' and 'Elements Pt. 1.' I especially love the epic songs on the latter, Fantasia especially seems very powerful to me, and Elements.

Oh.....I've read that their old stuff (Fright Night, etc.) is Sabbathy sounding. Is this true? That would be quite a contrast, going from blues to neo-classical.

General Zod said:
I like the way you think.:kickass:

I'm thinking Strat should be fun live. The problem I seem to have with them, is that their music doesn't hit me as powerfull. However, in a live setting, volume alone should take care of that. I also imagine that the energy in the building for Strat should be such that it makes for a fun show.

The band I'm kind of curious about is Therion. I'm curious to see how they do, what they do, live.

By the way, I've seriously got my fingers crossed for Pyramaze.

Zod
I expect similar from Strat. I think the energy level in the house will be good. I've heard that Strat is kind of boring on stage, but maybe with it being a US debut and a possible rowdy crowd it will liven them up some.

I don't like Therion's music much at all, but the 6 peice choir thing should be interesting. I've heard the band is really into what they do, so it should be energized.

Pyramaze would be totally killer in that other opening spot. I think they would go over big.

The one band I am totally craving, but probably will not be there is Mercenary. Did you ever really warm up to 11 Dreams? Judging by the talk in this forum a lot of people are really hot to see them.

Mystic Prophecy in a #2 or #3 role would also be pretty damn rocking.

We shall see.

Britt

Barking Pumpkin said:
I see them as very powerful. I'll be getting some more albums for the fest, as right now I only have 'Infinite' and 'Elements Pt. 1.' I especially love the epic songs on the latter, Fantasia especially seems very powerful to me, and Elements.

You want epic? You want powerful? You simply NEED to hear the song "Visions".

DarkTide said:
The one band I am totally craving, but probably will not be there is Mercenary. Did you ever really warm up to 11 Dreams? Judging by the talk in this forum a lot of people are really hot to see them.
I like it, just not as much everone else seems to.

DarkTide said:
Mystic Prophecy in a #2 or #3 role would also be pretty damn rocking.
Agreed. I'd love to see them.

Zod

The only thing I feel that could top Stratovarius is having Shadow Gallery perform their first and last show at PP. Now that would truly be something spectacular...

My other hope is for a Conception reunion!!! I would go for that and that alone!
Rhapsody would be sick as well.