Primal Fear North American 2010 Tour

That list definitely needs Nightwish. Probably Blind Guardian too. But I would agree with you aside from that.

I thought about those two too, after I posted. I simply forgot them. In the Blind Guardian case, it's been so long since they were here I also forgot how many people they drew. After thinking about it for a second, I remembered how packed BB King's was when they last played in NYC. You couldn't walk in there, but it was so damn worth it!

living on the gulf coast sucks, almost everything i want to see doesn't come even remotely close.

You're right. It's rare to see power metal tour with solid support and/or co-headliners. Edguy/Hammerfall/Into Eternity was a rare example back in 2005. That packed BB King's in NYC. Primal Fear probably won't draw much, especially with Luna Mortis as an opener.

Alot of it has do to with the fact lineups like Edguy and Hammerfall probably split the guarantee between them so each band gets less than if they were both headlining separate tours. The bands together would draw more peeps and would be better exposure longterm and would be better for sales, but alot of these big Euro power metal bands aren't all that deadset on becoming huge in the US because they know Europe is their bread and butter. They'll take the biggest guarantee they can get here and do as little "work" as possible. I don't really blame them since they already busted ass in one territory, why bother doing it again unless they absolutely wanted to?

Seems like Century Media dropped Luna Mortis too, if you look at their past artists page on their section. Weird, but not surprised.

Oh look! They're playing in NYC! Opening night of the tour! How nice. ;)
Seriously, I think the Gramercy is the right size for them, but it probably won't sell out. They really do need a stronger support band or co-headliner. I too, will be interested to see how Edguy does the next time around. I've been to multiple shows on their tours and it really seemed to depend on the market. NYC was about 400 I think. NH - like 80? Evil can correct me on that.

I think a packed house in NYC this time around is highly possible for Primal Fear. The show this past September was fairly full (probably at 80% capacity, at least that's how it looked to me), and I don't really have any reason to believe they won't do just as well, if not likely better this time around.
I'll be there again, hope to be front row again. I'm just kinda pissed that they're doing VIP tickets. I hate this garbage because it's screws people on a tight budget. All shows should be first-come, first-serve for entry, period - no special privileges. Just because I can't shell out an extra $35 on top of the ticket cost doesn't mean I should have to let 50 people in before me. It's just a slap in the face when you just want to get on the rail but you're broke. I've been screwed by it many, many times, especially at BB Kings. I might be able to convince myself to go for it (since it does include a meet and greet), but it's not a good chance.

And damn you Californians for getting Redemption!!! I swear, in about 80 shows I've been to in my life, I don't think I've seen more than 5 good tour support bands. Edguy for Kamelot, Tad Morose for Edguy, Pagan's Mind for Stratovarius, not too many others I can think of.

That list definitely needs Nightwish. Probably Blind Guardian too. But I would agree with you aside from that.

Yeah, I'd say in terms of drawing power, the top bands are:

Nightwish, Blind Guardian, Kamelot, Sonata Arctica, Dragonforce (even though they've become so popular and liked by other people it's not really fair to judge them on this scale), and to a lesser extent, Edguy and Hammerfall - though it's hard to really tell for how little Hammerfall comes here and how much Edguy does. I've seen Edguy four times, all the shows have had good turnouts. That's 4 times in 5 years, and if anything the crowds have been growing.

Gamma Ray is another band that I think actually has a decent chunk of drawing power, but it's hard to say because they so rarely come over. NYC in '06 on the Majestic tour was packed as I recall.

Oh yes, and though not truly power metal (though about as Power Metal as Nightwish is, to be fair), Symphony X has a good drawing power here as well (well, they are FROM here). Again, seen them 4 times and all the shows have been packed.

On a related note, Firewind's headlining off-date in Reading, PA in September '07 was one of the saddest things I've ever seen. There had to have been less than 50 people at the show. It was so bad that my friend and I stood outside until the final support band went on, and just walked in and stood front "row". It was basically just a loose cluster of people, most of which weren't even knowledgeable about the band's music. After the show the guys just came out and hung out with us since there were so few people there, it was really cool of them. I've just never felt so bad, because it was an absolutely fantastic performance, but all it wound up being was a testament to how amazing bands go overlooked.
Honestly Stratovarius/Pagan's Mind in Baltimore this past September was dismal. Again, I almost felt bad. Not as much for Pagan's Mind as Strato. PM got a fantastic response from the crowd that was there, but Strato performed to a sluggish, tired, somewhat unenthusiastic crowd of under 150 people.

It's weird with power metal, at least in Chicago.
That HammerFall / Edguy tour did so-so in Chicago, maybe 60% fill.
Then a couple years later, Sonata Arctica practically sold out a headlining show at HOB with NO touring support band (Reckoning Night tour)

Helloween / Gamma Ray did TERRIBLE in Chicago.

Kamelot / Edguy filled about 85% of the Pearl Room, if not more.

Never saw Nightwish, but I have never heard of an empty show of theirs.

So yeah, I guess anything is possible.

Though DragonForce and sonata both have fans outside of underground metal, so those might not be fair benchmarks.

I think Primal Fear may have some trouble drawing. I hope they don't have trouble, but I think they might.

Then a couple years later, Sonata Arctica practically sold out a headlining show at HOB with NO touring support band (Reckoning Night tour)

Helloween / Gamma Ray did TERRIBLE in Chicago.

Kamelot / Edguy filled about 85% of the Pearl Room, if not more.

Never saw Nightwish, but I have never heard of an empty show of theirs.

So yeah, I guess anything is possible.

Though DragonForce and sonata both have fans outside of underground metal, so those might not be fair benchmarks.

I think Primal Fear may have some trouble drawing. I hope they don't have trouble, but I think they might.

No question that Nightwish also has that outside-of-underground-metal appeal. I've met numerous girls in my age bracket and even younger who listen to practically no other metal of the prog/power variety but absolutely adore Nightwish. It's weird, really.

There's no question in my mind that this Primal Fear tour will do badly in some cities. It's just inevitable - they're not that popular. A few of the shows will do very well, a few of them will do so/so, and a few will probably bomb. This tour is a bit strangely routed, skipping some popular cities and playing a few usually skipped - so either they know something others don't, or they're just being silly.

No question that Nightwish also has that outside-of-underground-metal appeal. I've met numerous girls in my age bracket and even younger who listen to practically no other metal of the prog/power variety but absolutely adore Nightwish. It's weird, really.

There's no question in my mind that this Primal Fear tour will do badly in some cities. It's just inevitable - they're not that popular. A few of the shows will do very well, a few of them will do so/so, and a few will probably bomb. This tour is a bit strangely routed, skipping some popular cities and playing a few usually skipped - so either they know something others don't, or they're just being silly.

I think its probably too much of a financial risk to have Primal Fear go out with another Euro band (IE - Dream Evil, HammerFall, etc, etc). Personally, I think, in this day and age where there are SO many tours, shows need to stand out.

I know for next year, based on other tours with amazing packages (IE - Kreator/Voivod, Overkill/Vader, etc, etc) I am skipping HammerFall, Sonata, and Primal Fear, simply because them alone for the zillionth time is rather meh..........

I think its probably too much of a financial risk to have Primal Fear go out with another Euro band (IE - Dream Evil, HammerFall, etc, etc). Personally, I think, in this day and age where there are SO many tours, shows need to stand out.

Yeah I pretty much explained why there are no (or very little) tours like this.

I know for next year, based on other tours with amazing packages (IE - Kreator/Voivod, Overkill/Vader, etc, etc) I am skipping HammerFall, Sonata, and Primal Fear, simply because them alone for the zillionth time is rather meh..........

Incidentally, all of these tours you mentioned are booked by the same agent, which even furthers what I said in my previous post! hehe

:mad: Figures! WTF is wrong with Florida that these bands don't want to play here?! Korpiklaani is coming to Tampa, why can't Primal Fear?! I just don't get it!!! :mad:

Yeah... I don't know what's going on!
Tampa at least gets a few shows... But lately absolutely NO tours are coming to the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area... ZERO! ahhaha h

It's been really weird... It's been almost a year since I went to a underground metal show down here. We used to be a regular stop on at least 50% of the tours... I wonder why that changed.
The very last show I attended was Soilwork/Swallow the Sun, I think... that was in February.

Yeah... I don't know what's going on!
Tampa at least gets a few shows... But lately absolutely NO tours are coming to the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area... ZERO! ahhaha h

It's been really weird... It's been almost a year since I went to a underground metal show down here. We used to be a regular stop on at least 50% of the tours... I wonder why that changed.
The very last show I attended was Soilwork/Swallow the Sun, I think... that was in February.
Um, well, I'm not speaking on authority at all, but I've heard through the grapevine that FL and some other areas, have been considered by some to be more costly than viable, temporarily at least, during a time of spiraling costs for touring and diminished revenues in the music world. Don't quote me as truth, but that's what I heard, yea, just about a year ago.

I was amazed how well SA drew on that tour. It was pretty packed and rocking. Probably one of the best live shows I've been to. The next time around they didn't do as well.

Gothic Metal band get exposure elsewhere. I know from going to many anime cons that Nightwish gets used a lot in anime music videos, along with bands like Within Temptation. I also think with bands like Evanescence and Lacuna Coil getting some big exposure, it opens some opportunities to some of these bands. So far, Epica hasn't been able to capture that crowd yet, but others have.

Um, well, I'm not speaking on authority at all, but I've heard through the grapevine that FL and some other areas, have been considered by some to be more costly than viable, temporarily at least, during a time of spiraling costs for touring and diminished revenues in the music world. Don't quote me as truth, but that's what I heard, yea, just about a year ago.

Yeah... It makes sense, I always thought of that. The closest big market from here (other than Tampa, obviously) is Atlanta...And it's a good 10 hour drive (probably more by bus)..

BUT... if you are making the drive down to Tampa anyway... I'd think Ft. Lauderdale would not be too bad, it's only 4 hours... And Tampa still gets SOME shows (not many).

I'd think, on top of the argument you made, something else must be going on... Maybe the main metal promoter from the area went out of business or something (wild guess).