ProgPower VI line-up preview (not really)...

General Zod said:
According to Jon, Matt's heart just wasn't in it, and the vocals sounded like crap.

Zod

I have a hard time thinking that Barlow's vocals sounded like crap though!

Granted, Tim does a fantastic job on The Glorius Burden. I'm jealous that you were able to see it live! It didn't work out for me to see them. :confused:

Emerald Sword said:
So? Why do they have to be the topic of everyone's conversation? Please, I'm not trying to be surly.
No problem. My only point was this, bands that headline ProgPower are headliners because they will allow Glenn to sell out Earthlink. A band that no one talks to, isn't going to drive up ticket sales. Might they be a good fit for PP? Yes. Does their popularity warrant a #5 slot? I wouldn't think so. Once again, this is only my opinion.

Emerald Sword said:
I'm just making a case for a band that is respected highly in Europe, but needs more exposure here. I believe they did tour here briefly in '85 with Motley Crue, but they got kicked off the tour because they upstaged the Crue too often.
Every opening band that's ever been kicked off a tour, has claimed that the reason they were kicked off the tour, was bcause they were upstaging the headliner. I've seen Motley Crue a number of times. Trust me, opening bands do not steal the show from them. They've had everyone from Guns n Roses, to Whitesnake, to the Scorpions, etc. etc. open for them. Crue didn't boot RW off the tour because thet were getting blown off the stage.

Emerald Sword said:
That's one of the main reasons for getting them on PPVII. Because they haven't been here forever. Check out some of their albums. Blazon Stone, Under Jolly Roger, Masquerade, The Rivalry. They are a great band and deserve a shot!
What is the one CD I should listen to?

Zod

Dolamite S. Biffle said:
I dont think that it was because his vocals sounded bad on the recording...
edgeofthorns said:
I have a hard time thinking that Barlow's vocals sounded like crap though!
I had a chance to interview Schaffer. Hopefully, the web site I did the interview for will have it's site rebuilt shortly, and I can post a link to it. During our conversation, when discussing Matt's sessions for "The Glorious Burden", he said the following:

If I would have put it out with Matt, it was sub-standard. He did a piss-poor job and that’s just a fact, and I had to stop the sessions. It was just that bad. We were in the middle of mixing the record and I’m looking at Jim like, “I can’t release this album.” There was not enough electronic surgery that we could do to make it sound like it was the real deal. Matt lost heart. He’s done. He’s moving on and doing things in his life. Matt is my brother-in-law. I wish him all… the… best… in the world. I want him to have a good, happy life, and he was not (happy).

Zod

General Zod said:
I had a chance to interview Schaffer. Hopefully, the web site I did the interview for will have it's site rebuilt shortly, and I can post a link to it. During our conversation, when discussing Matt's sessions for "The Glorious Burden", he said the following:

If I would have put it out with Matt, it was sub-standard. He did a piss-poor job and that’s just a fact, and I had to stop the sessions. It was just that bad. We were in the middle of mixing the record and I’m looking at Jim like, “I can’t release this album.” There was not enough electronic surgery that we could do to make it sound like it was the real deal. Matt lost heart. He’s done. He’s moving on and doing things in his life. Matt is my brother-in-law. I wish him all… the… best… in the world. I want him to have a good, happy life, and he was not (happy).

Zod

I didn't realize that they were kin! Zod, you taught me something today! I would like to hear a follow up on how Matt is doing with his career move. When the breakup first happened, I had read where Matt was going to pursue a college education, with a concentration in Criminal Justice or Police Science. Do you know anything about that?

General Zod said:
No problem. My only point was this, bands that headline ProgPower are headliners because they will allow Glenn to sell out Earthlink. A band that no one talks to, isn't going to drive up ticket sales. Might they be a good fit for PP? Yes. Does their popularity warrant a #5 slot? I wouldn't think so. Once again, this is only my opinion.

Every opening band that's ever been kicked off a tour, has claimed that the reason they were kicked off the tour, was bcause they were upstaging the headliner. I've seen Motley Crue a number of times. Trust me, opening bands do not steal the show from them. They've had everyone from Guns n Roses, to Whitesnake, to the Scorpions, etc. etc. open for them. Crue didn't boot RW off the tour because thet were getting blown off the stage.

Zod
I'd have to go with two. Blazon Stone and Masquerade.

General Zod said:

Zod
I'd have to go with two. Blazon Stone and Masquerade. Also, one of my buddies has been a huge fan of Running Wild for many many years and what I told you about their tour with Motley Crue is true. He got the inside info from friends of his in the business in Europe years ago.

Harvester said:
I do think RHunt are a perfect fit for the festival. However, they do not come near a 90 minute consideration for the following reason:

1. Draw. You can break this down into two parts: album sales and touring. Their album sales have dropped since the days of "Paradox" and have stagnated for the most part in the West era. They do tour, but on a much smaller venue basis and a smaller date range.

2. Buzz. I visit a *lot* of forums looking for the band that people are talking about. There has barely been a whimper over their most recent disc. If I'm wrong, please direct me to where I should be reading. I'm not trying to be negative at all as I really am missing it.
Glenn H.

I snagged Paper Blood, and I really really like it. Its an awesome album. I agree though, its sad no one talks about them/the new album at all.

edgeofthorns said:
I had read where Matt was going to pursue a college education, with a concentration in Criminal Justice or Police Science. Do you know anything about that?
That's what I read as well. When I interviewed Jon, I didn't ask about Matt (though I'm curious), as it didn't seem pertinent to the interview.

Zod

Emerald Sword said:
Emerald Sword said:
I'll check that out.

Emerald Sword said:
Also, one of my buddies has been a huge fan of Running Wild for many many years and what I told you about their tour with Motley Crue is true. He got the inside info from friends of his in the business in Europe years ago.
I have no doubt that's the "official" word out of the Running Wild camp. However, I don't buy it. For starters, Motley Crue's audience is an audinece who RW wouldn't have a great deal of appeal to. Second, an opening band, with a small portion of the stage, playing to a half-full crowd, playing songs the audience has never heard, isn't going to steal the show from a band using the full stage, with pyro, lights, strippers, midgets, who crank out nothing but hit after hit after hit. It just aint gonna happen. I've seen Motley Crue live three times. Trust me when I tell you, that audience is there to see the Crue, and nobody is stealing them, regardless of what kind of performance they give. Running Wild could be the greatest band that ever walked the earth, and they wouldn't steal the show from Motley Cure, at a Motley Crue concert.

Zod

General Zod said:
Emerald Sword said:
Emerald Sword said:
I'll check that out.

I have no doubt that's the "official" word out of the Running Wild camp. However, I don't buy it. For starters, Motley Crue's audience is an audinece who RW wouldn't have a great deal of appeal to. Second, an opening band, with a small portion of the stage, playing to a half-full crowd, playing songs the audience has never heard, isn't going to steal the show from a band using the full stage, with pyro, lights, strippers, midgets, who crank out nothing but hit after hit after hit. It just aint gonna happen. I've seen Motley Crue live three times. Trust me when I tell you, that audience is there to see the Crue, and nobody is stealing them, regardless of what kind of performance they give. Running Wild could be the greatest band that ever walked the earth, and they wouldn't steal the show from Motley Cure, at a Motley Crue concert.

Zod
I've seen Motley Crue four times myself, but then again, this was the Theatre of Pain tour in 1985 and Noise Records bands then had a good advantage here with the Bay Area thrash thing going on. RW leaned a little more in that direction in the early days. So, I'm going by what I was told. Also Zod, the word didn't come from the RW people, either. It's been some yearssince I heard the story, but I know that much. Manowar was also kicked off Nugent's tour in 1982 for the same thing. That's a fact.

Emerald Sword said:
Manowar was also kicked off Nugent's tour in 1982 for the same thing. That's a fact.
That may be. But like I said, I'm always suspicous when an opening band says, "We were kicked off the tour for being too good." If you're kicked off a tour, what else are you going to say?

Zod

General Zod said:
Emerald Sword said:
Emerald Sword said:
I'll check that out.

Zod

I agree. I was huge into the 80's hard rock/metal scene, and I've never heard of Running Wild until this thread! I don't see any unknown band upstaging Motley Crue during the Girls and Feelgood era! I'm not a big Crue fan at all, but they were 80's hard rock.

I know very well how long Running Wild has been around and all, and I also don't think they're headliner material for ProgPower. For one thing, they're the "AC/DC" of power metal (meaning, everything they do sounds exactly the same), and, for another thing, they've never been at, or even near, the top of their genre. Running Wild will always be eclipsed by bands like Helloween, Gamma Ray, Angra, Edguy, etc., unless they do something different. (And they haven't done anything "different" for 15+ years; one wonders if they ever will.)

For those who haven't heard Running Wild, I'd recommend Black Hand Inn. That's the one and only RW album you need.