Solid 08 releases so far

"Solid".

The absolute worst adjective someone can use to describe music to me. "Solid" is what happens when inspiration dies. "Solid" is what you get when the paycheck becomes more important than the passion. "Solid" is safe. "Solid" sucks.

Tell me about something amazing! Something inspiring! Hell, tell me about something you HATE! At least it inspired an emotion in you, which is more than "solid" can do. If I want "solid", I'll go find a bricklayer or a tax accountant, not an artist.

:kickass:

Zod

cd isn't leaked yet but theres a youtube of a new tune they played off of it. And why the hell are you bringing some useless semantics debate in this thread..

cd isn't leaked yet but theres a youtube of a new tune they played off of it. And why the hell are you bringing some useless semantics debate in this thread..

Jesus christ, talk about the inappropriate overreaction of the thread :rolleyes:

Nothing i've heard this year is really blowing my mind. Looks like i have to check out the new Manilla Road though.

I'm sure I could think of others if I gave myself a little more time (and if I was home and could actually look at my CDs), but this is the only one that coming to mind right away:

Benedictum - Seasons of Tragedy (Love this one almost as much as their debut, Uncreation)

I'll be picking up a copy of Shadowside's Theater of Shadows today on my way home from work. I have high expectations that will eventually make it onto my top releases for this year as well.

I've been diggin' on Warbringer's - War Without End and Black Tide's - A Light From Above lately.

I'm awaiting new releases from Whitesnake, Testament, Jon Oliva's Pain and Circle II Circle though.

~Brian~

Alestorm- Captain Morgan's Revenge
Eluveitie- Slania
Lana Lane- Red PLanet Blvd.

I have no idea why I'm drawing a blank. With as many new releases as I buy each week, I shouldn't be having this kind of brainfart...

just bought the new Rage today while I'm at work. Can't fuckin wait to get out of here and into my car to give it a listen. I'm sure it's gonna blow me away. Everything they do is amazing.

Have you heard the new Opeth? Or are you merely stating your love for it before the fact?

If you have heard it, what direction did they go?

Zod

I have heard it but you're right to question that since my Opeth fanboyness knows no boundaries :heh:

Not sure how to describe the direction they've gone because like any of their albums, they keep progressing and this one certainly is different. I'll just make a few quick notes about it, and I can expand later if you want more :p

• when it's heavy, it's brutal - the album has some of their heaviest music to date (note that this doesn't mean the whole album is like that)
  • it's a bit proggier than what they've been doing lately
  • there are female vocals in one track
  • there are actually a couple guitar solos (and by that I mean, a "regular" guitar solo instead of their usual Pink Floyd-esque type solo)

There's my teaser for ya...I personally think the album is phenomenal :)

You have to go back to 1982 to 1985 for amazing and inspiring :)

"Solid".

The absolute worst adjective someone can use to describe music to me. "Solid" is what happens when inspiration dies. "Solid" is what you get when the paycheck becomes more important than the passion. "Solid" is safe. "Solid" sucks.

Tell me about something amazing! Something inspiring! Hell, tell me about something you HATE! At least it inspired an emotion in you, which is more than "solid" can do. If I want "solid", I'll go find a bricklayer or a tax accountant, not an artist.

(ok, I know that's not what you meant, sorry about the rant in your thread! I'd contribute something, but I haven't actually heard any '08 releases yet that I know are greater-than-solid.)

Neil

I'm really enjoying Ayreon's "01011001"......simply amazing!
Rage's "Carved in Stone", in my opinion, is as good, if not better, than "Unity".
On my list for other faves this year, so far, are the new ones from Royal Hunt, Brainstorm, Benedictum (wow.....they did NOT suffer from the sophomore slump!), and the band VindictiV. Order of Nine's new cd is great too!

Just grabbed Origin's release and Textures. Origin's is pretty solid but I like Brain Drill's release for the brutal/heavy tech death so far and textures was to metalcore-y for me.

Excellent:
Warrel Dane - Praises To The Warmachine

Very Good:
Draconian - Turning Season Within
Malpractice - Triangular

Good:
Brainstorm - Downburst
Mercenary - Architect Of Lies
Circle II Circle - Delusions Of Grandeur
Firewind - The Premonition
Kiuas - The New Dark Age
Pharaoh - Be Gone