Solid 08 releases so far

I have checked out most of the discs everybody has mentioned to give them a listen and none of them have really hit me and I am very open-minded and open to pretty much anything. The discs I have liked this year have been Meshuggah's new one, which is a surprise really, because I have never been a huge fan of theirs. Warrel Dane's solo cd is amazing. Protest the Hero isn't bad, just still getting used to his brand of vox. The new Testament has certainly captured my attention and warrants some very thorough listen throughs. The Belphegor caught my attention because it reminds me of Bloodbath. Bloodbath's EP is mindblowingly amazing. The Arsis was alright, just too technical to where it is kind of stale, but it definately isn't bad. Warbringer sounds like Slayer Jr. The cds I am highly anticipating are Opeth's and Evergrey's. Mercenary's new cd didn't hit me like all of their previous ones. The new In Flames is very stale and boring compared to all of thir back catalogue. The new Bodom isn't bad, just doesn't hit me like their first few cds.

The best ones this year so far are Royal Hunt's, Meshuggah, Alter Bridge(well this was technically last year, but I am still listening the crap out of it), the Bloodbath, and the Warrel Dane.

Pagan's Mind - God's Equation (A lot of people did not like this one but I love the change in direction. Really digging this one.)

Avantasia - The Scarecrow (Didn't mind the less heaviness, really like the direction.)

Primal Fear - New Religion (Really good stuff on here. Aside from the kick off song there is even less Priest influence on this album which is good in my book that they are standing out more on their own.)

Brainstorm - Downburst (Really love this one. Right up there with the last two for me.)

Firewind - The Premonition (Love the power metal meets Whitesnake vibe. Truly awesome stuff here. Gus never disappoints.)

Testament - Formation of Damnation (Great follow up to the Gathering. I like the balance on this album as some songs remind me of New Order meets the Gathering while others remind me of The Ritual which is cool on my book.)

Can't wait to check out Children of Bodom, Rage, Whitesnake, and Warrel Dane.

I'm curious to see your list of 10 CDs from the 90's.

Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
Cynic - Focus
Death - Individual Thought Patterns
Death - Human
Death - Symbolic
Edge Of Sanity - Crimson
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F#A# Infinite
Gorguts - Obscura
Gorguts - The Erosion Of Sanity
Pestilence - Spheres

It's by no means definitive, but there were quite a few classics that came out.

Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
Cynic - Focus
Death - Individual Thought Patterns
Death - Human
Death - Symbolic
Edge Of Sanity - Crimson
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F#A# Infinite
Gorguts - Obscura
Gorguts - The Erosion Of Sanity
Pestilence - Spheres

Good list. I have everything but Godspeed, but might check it out. I wouldn't say they are superior to everything from the 80's, but I enjoy every era of metal.

I believe it's been mentioned in this thread, possibly even by me (too lazy to look), but the new Satriani, Professor Satchafunkilus and the Musterion of Rock, is fantastic. A certain Top 10 disc.

Zod

Has anyone listened to the new Woods of Ypres? I have like 15-20 cds in order to grab and I have heard really good things about them on this board but just wanting to know from a fan's perspective..

the new dalriada is good too, doesn't break my current top3 tho.