Some cool tunes from 2010

does anyone realize that with half a brain and google you can download anything off of youtube in mp3 format, in a few seconds? just curious...nothing is protected anymore.

artists should start using it to their advantage rather than trying to resist the progression of technology in our world.

-btw fire breath...thanks for posting the DE youtube one. i had lost track of them after their last album...definitely gonna go check this album out on itunes and see if any songs worth buying other than the one you posted.

More vinyl (harder to upload). FLAC downloads. And above all else, CD's with GOOD (not brickwalled) MASTERING, at a reasonable price. Maybe even Hi-Res BluRay Audio for the future. No more exclusive non-jewel case releases either. These are the solution.

True music lovers will still pay for quality.

Honestly, record labels have brought the majority of their problems on themselves.

does anyone realize that with half a brain and google you can download anything off of youtube in mp3 format, in a few seconds? just curious...nothing is protected anymore.

Exactly. I posted a video for Steel Panther's new cover of Backstreet Boys "I Want It That Way", and supplied a few voiceovers in the song.

Why? To prevent people from using a flv to mp3 converter and having the song for free. IMO it was a great way to get the song out there yet not let someone have the song in its original format for free (some people don't care about compressed audio).

I wound up getting a buncha emails complaining that my "voiceover" ruined the song haha!

Last edited by a moderator:
would you tell all the bands that you "hang out with and party with" that you illegally download all thier stuff? just curious.

Yeah, I have gotten into conversations about it with them in the past. While they dont approve of it 100% they know that overall I dont mean to hurt them and would help if I could. For some of the smaller bands, I have offered my couches to them without ever really knowing people. Scale The Summit and Intronaut have both stayed at my place before free of charge. So while I hurt the industry by not buying all my records, I help where I can with promotion of local/national shows and offering them a place to crash if they dont wanna sleep in a van.

would you tell all the bands that you "hang out with and party with" that you illegally download all thier stuff? just curious.
I've done so during interviews. I enjoy hearing different musician's perspectives on this hot-button issue. During a couple of these discussions, I've mentioned to them that had it not been for file sharing, I would have never heard of them. But after downloading their MP3s, I've subsequently purchased three of their CDs, a t-shirt, and paid to see them play live twice. I suspect it pleases them to know that there's at least some upside to file sharing.

I suspect many in the industry want all the benefits of the internet without the drawbacks. All in all, I'd say it's been beneficial to the metal genre at least. I mean, how many artists were moving 100,000 units or more in 2000? I remember Stratovarius getting excited about playing in front of 2000 people: in Finland! And when I bought Dawn of Victory by Rhapsody, the liner notes proclaimed that Rhapsody had sold over 120,000 copies of their last two albums worldwide! Bands never toured the US. Most of their albums weren't released here either.

I don't think anyone can argue with a straight face that the power/progressive metal industry is worse off today than it was in 2000. And a great deal of that is exposure, from spreading around all this metal over the internet.

Ok just in case any body that is checking this thread does care about the music that firebreath wanted to talk about. He mentioned Human Temple, has any really listened to them. I have listened to their new one (had to download it cause it is hard to find, but hopefully a vendor at PP will have it, I will gladly give them money for it). But this is some good stuff, maybe I should start another thread about them, but what to yall think about them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyhow, in general he makes posts promoting new bands and releases more than just about anyone else I know on the Internet these days, which is what made this whole thread especially ironic. Many record labels would pay him good money to do what he does for free (or, for a serious tongue-lashing, as the case may be!)

Neil

This is so right. Pirage must be the guy on the net that writes the most about new bands and albums, turning people on new artists they would not have known if not by his posts. He made me discover several albums that resulted in me buying them...

G

This is so right. Pirage must be the guy on the net that writes the most about new bands and albums, turning people on new artists they would not have known if not by his posts. He made me discover several albums that resulted in me buying them...

G

so is the thief who breaks into your house and gives away your belongings then I guess. Anyone who takes something from him will hear about something they never had or heard of before I guess. Man....you guys make theft sound so good.:Smug:

Personally, my major concern with downloading and the rapid and vast access to music (e.g. streaming) is that it devalues it into a commodity, and makes people less able to recognize and be affected by art. I find that the more I listen to the less I appreciate the music that I enjoy. When I focus heavily on a few albums, I tend to enjoy them to a much higher degree.

Personally, my major concern with downloading and the rapid and vast access to music (e.g. streaming) is that it devalues it into a commodity, and makes people less able to recognize and be affected by art. I find that the more I listen to the less I appreciate the music that I enjoy. When I focus heavily on a few albums, I tend to enjoy them to a much higher degree.

See, I'm the exact opposite. I find that the more music I listen to, the more I can appreciate what I enjoy, because most albums I find are generic and boring, if not complete shit (and thankfully I learned this before purchasing!)

See, I'm the exact opposite. I find that the more music I listen to, the more I can appreciate what I enjoy, because most albums I find are generic and boring, if not complete shit (and thankfully I learned this before purchasing!)

I know what you mean. But my problem is even when I find a new band/album I enjoy I find myself always in search of the next one, instead of really appreciating and listening a lot to a single album. It is the albums I buy in physical form that tend to end up meaning the most to me.

But whats the diff, in downloading and burning a copy from a firend. We all have made mix tapes back in the day!!

I will openly admit that I have downloaded music. HOWEVER.....I do it with the intent of buying the album.

Some of us, like myself live in out of the way places or are out of work (i am both) and sometimes we need a fix...... But whem I get back on my feet, I plan to buy every album I have even downloaded a song off of.

At PP 9 I met a guy from Mexico, I met a guy that had traveled from there to attend. HE hade dropped like 400$ st the venders, and I asked him why did he bought so Much. He told me that the nearest store to where he lives is like 2-3 hours away. And if he wanted to buy online the shipping makes it so outragous that its not worth it. So he told me he downloads...and when his friends go to the store or the States, he gives them money to get the music he has downloaded, etc....

I ask you....are cases like these punishable also?

You want to know why? Really? You can't figure it out on your own?

I'll tell you why:

c.

Preach on brother!

Honestly I feel there is no way to stop it.
When the Hellrazor 'In the Wild' came out I sent out EPKs to press and some jackass kid posted the link up with the tag "to download the fukk akbum foor free", it possed me and the band off to the point the drummer wanted to ride to Oh. and find the kid. One would think the "press" would get it but they are just has bad.
I have ever only had one album downloaded and that was the first Noah Jones, had to be sure. That weekend I went and bought the CD. However most people I know who say they download it first then go buy it usually don't. It is merely a way for them to try to make themselves not look like a jackass when in the conversation about this subject.
Recently I had to call India to work on my PC. The tech asked me if I had an external hard drive and what was on it. I replied that it was all auto files. He suggesated my problems was from downloading auto files. I told him that I do not download music it is all rips from my CDs. After he saw the 5,000 + album he still did not believe me. HAHA Well they are all the really deal. I came from the last generation to appreciate hard copy music and it will always be that way for me.
Recently while on tour with Seventh Calling was the first time I had ever used a IPOD type contraption. I cannot phantom that being the only option or even the preferred way to enjoy music, sadly that is how it is done now. And when I think of all the kids out there who will never know what it is like smoke a doob with their bud after school while listening to 'The Magician's Birthday' it really brings me down. But may be moving off topic.
But I get the reason why it is wrong. Everybody who asks me where they can download my releases for free or say they will pass on purchasing the disc because they will just find it online I just want to punch them in the goddamn throat.
But I can image that it is even worse for someone like Tribunal whose audience is a younger one, at least I'm targeted towards older people who remember hard copy music and would prefer it that way.

actually since i knew a ton of labels because of my record label plenty of them rallied and helped me rebuild my collection. Props to my friends at Relapse, Trustkill, Metal Blade, Ferret, Sanctuary and a few others that are slipping my mind at the moment (it's been about 5 years since it happened). some either sent me CDs for free or charged me ridiculously low prices to replace all i had lost.

not saying i haven't had to so some reinvestment and serious collector hunting, but it's what i love to do.

but it sucked there for about a year trying to figure out what i lost and what was missing, etc.

again, life sucks sometimes, but so many great things came about from the fire that i cannot look back on it in too much negative light at the current moment.

It was impressive, hell still is. And he still hits me up for stuff like that Worldtrade, yeah glad to help;)