The camera at PPVII issue.

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
If nothing happens before I'll fly to Atlanta on September for the festival. It'll be my first and I hope not only to enjoy the music but to share the experience with wonderful people I managed to met via UM in the last 4 years.

For me the whole affair goes beyond a concert it is a vacation/experience like none I have before, and like that I hope to get some pics as mementos from that experience.

My main purpose is to take pictures of me and my buddies at the event not of the bands.

I know they have been discussions in the past regarding dispositions about the use of photographic cameras in the vent, so I want to know for sure what will be the official position of the festival administration:

1. are standard cameras allowed?
  2. are digital cameras allowed?
Thanks.

I could be wrong, but I think all standard cameras are allowed. After last year's bootlegging fiasco, all digital cameras were going to be banned for this year, but Glenn decided to let people bring them for a $10 charge. However, there will be a list of cameras you can't bring.

Unless something has changed, this is it, in a nutshell.

All "regular" (35 mm) cameras are allowed.

Digital cameras that cannot take more than 30 s of video are allowed for a $10 charge.

Digital cameras capable of recording more than 30 s of video are banned.

These bootlegging assholes really screwed a lot of people.

Man, I'd say something about bootlegers, but I love my Demons and Wizards live bootleges (Audio only, but bootleges nonetheless) :kickass:

Jurakan said:
Unless something has changed, this is it, in a nutshell.

All "regular" (35 mm) cameras are allowed.

Digital cameras that cannot take more than 30 s of video are allowed for a $10 charge.

Digital cameras capable of recording more than 30 s of video are banned.

These bootlegging assholes really screwed a lot of people.

Gracias bro! Me and my small Pentax are going to make Kodak (or Fuji) rich :lol:

BlindPanzer said:
Pentax kicks ass... film is still better than digital anyway

I think so too, that's why I hadn't jump in the digital wagon yet (or iPod, or Palm, or so).

I used to have a big 35 mm Pentax K2 with interchangeable lenses but was too cumbersome, so now I have a small one (can't recall the model right now). It cost me $35 bucks or so in 2001 and takes very good pics IMO.

NP: Megadeth - 'Anarchy In The U.K.'

BlindPanzer said:
film is still better than digital anyway
I am not convinced either way... There's pros and cons to each. The only reason I went digital was long term economy. I was completely pissed when I developed my PPV pics only to find only a handful of decent pictures. That was $ down the drain. With digital I took a whopping 185 pictures in PPVI (around 100 of those on Therion alone) and erased almost that many that turned out awful. I got my investment back on the film and developing cost savings!!!

Any doubt why I'm so pissed with the friggin bootleggers?

Used film in PP III, V and VI. First time sucked. The other 2 many of them were all right. I will probably jump into digital this year. Other friends have taken their shots on digital and they were pretty much the same. Jurakan is right. Is cheaper in the long run. Besides, finally I own one of this cybergalactic monsters (which I'm writing in it at this moment)...

well any decent slr these days brings a good metering system, and besides, concert photography takes time to "get" since you need to get fast film (800 ISO and above) and pretty fast shutter speeds. I trust film, but I have a digital one too =)

urayoan said:
I will probably jump into digital this year.

Tipo, if you're buying it primarily for PP, I'd advise you wait til the "banned" camera list is posted. Don't get screwed like I did.:hotjump:

Jurakan said:
Tipo, if you're buying it primarily for PP, I'd advise you wait til the "banned" camera list is posted. Don't get screwed like I did.:hotjump:
Tipo, thanks for the tip. I'm not using it ONLY for PP, I'm not that DEE, DEE, DEE...:lol: well... sometimes

I find film to be only as good as the developing process. Now that I no longer have access to a dark room, I don't like to use it.

I am bringing a box of 64 crayola crayons, i suck when it comes to taking pictures, so i guess my best bet is to draw them. No really i am going to bring both a digital and a SLR. SLR for the pre party and shots with friends and such, and digital for the show Friday and Saturday night. My digital is an older model Sony Cybershot(4 years old) and i don't think it even has a movie mode, if it does it is only 10 or 15 seconds.