There should be a Prog Power Texas

WHY ARE ALL THESE GREAT BANDS WANTING TO DO THIS? WHAT THE HELL IS THE MATTER WITH ALL OF YOU? STOP LISTENING TO MY CRAZY IDEAS!! I'M JUST AN IDIOT FROM DETROIT!!!

Just kidding, guys. You all know this response is wonderfully appreciated.

Oh man... I just realised... this is snowballing like crazy... awesome...

Tammy, OF COURSE I'm on the committee. I'll do as much work as I can from 2000 miles away, and like I told John, I'll help out with graphics, logos, flyers, posters, web banners, anything I can. If it turns out I can schedule the trip down, I'll be stage crew and roadie like I always am.

But if any of you drummers bitch about me tightening your cymbal stands too damn tight, I'll slap ya silly! Gawd, Saturday night, drummer from Flophouse had his cymbal pointed directly at his face after two hits. I did this goofy 45-degree-angle reverse stage dive onto the drum riser and fixed his shit WITHOUT spilling one beverage OR unplugging a guitar! That was the side of his drumkit I wasn't helping him set up, so it's
NOT MY FAULT!
130450322.jpg

HOLY SH*T this monster has taken on a life of it's own. This amazes me that so many people want this to happen, and I DO also. Thanks to everyone especially all the people from Texas and to Bryan you rule Brother.

But there is one big thing, i don't want to in anyway form or fashion to step on either Glenn's or Shane's toes in doing this. So Glenn, Shane if you read this, please advise us if you have the time. Your advise is most welcome.

metropolisimages said:
As a member of Stride, I can say we would definitely love to be a part of any prog show in Texas!!! Another great venue in Houston is Warehouse Live. It holds about 1600. Here is the link:

http://www.warehouselive.com/

Sounds like some great ideas!!!
WHOAAAAAAA i just checked out the Warehouse, man i think we have found the place, please everyone go to their website and check it out. Now if Metropolisimages can tell us, Are there suitable hotels in the area, and eatries.:headbang:

1600 people seems a bit ambitious. Honestly. Don't forget, we're a buncha n00bs with no real clout or pull. Just cuz we're all from here, doesn't really mean a lot, just means we're not getting a buncha high-school level bands.

Keep things realistic, guys. Compare the turnout Shane had for his Pre-Party in The Loft, two years ago. What was that? 400-500? Maybe 600 even seems like a lofty goal.

I don't wanna burst bubbles. I don't wanna bring everyone down. I DON'T WANT TO SOUND LIKE A COWARD. I'm setting my ideas and my expectations and my goals low, and so should you guys. That way, if we actually meet and/or exceed our goals, it'll feel a lot better than going into debt and only half-filling a venue.

1600 would be a badass goal to meet. And considering it's all Texas-based bands being able to pull in their familiar crowds, with some out-of-town/state bands coming in as incentive, I think we'd be fuckin pimps if we can get a solid 500-600 turnout.

ONCE AGAIN, I AM NOT SHOOTING THIS IDEA DOWN!!! If you guys think that a big-ass venue like the Warehouse would be ideal, and the bands think they can really do some bad-ass promoting and flyer-passing and get that place filled, then let's do it. If we all feel that it's not too ambitious, cool by me. If you approach the venue and convince them that this is a really cool idea and they aren't expecting a sell-out from us, and a half-capacity show would be considered good enough for them, then we're on the right track.

Feedback?

I agree, I think Warehouse or maybe even The Meridian are too big for the first time. I'd much rather see a sold out smaller club than a big venue with 100 people in it! These venues are something to strive for in the future! Not to mention the $$$ involved in bigger venues like that! (Yes someone had to mention money!)

You know, i think you may be right, but on the other hand if and these are big IF's we can get the likes of STRIDE, OUTWORLD, MEYVN, and other popular Texas band and maybe on internationally know band we might be able to pull it off, then again that is a big if on the internationally known act. This is a real scarry plan, yes i am scared but i am also so excited about doing it. And Bryan your right, maybe we should step back reflect, take a long look, have a few conference calls talk to some one in the know(like Glenn or Shane or maybe even the guys from STRIDE and OUTWORLD) get some more insight into what we need to do. How does that sound,

I applaud everyone for their enthusiasm and wish you the best of luck. That said, I think you need to be realistic in your assessement. I only drew 300 people at the first show (with SX, Egrey, PoS, etc) and only do 1,300 now. Look at the Chicago Powerfest recently as well. They had a rather strong lineup and had lower than anticipated attendance. Thus, they can no longer rely on it just power metal bands as one of the promoters posted and that is *if* the festival continues.

I would think a safe thing to do is to take the draw of your biggest local band and then double it. In other words, if Band X draws 100 people, then you do your budget based on 200 people max. You have to remember that you are a small segement with crossover sales. In other words, you will find that many of the same people attend the same shows and there are only so many family/girlfriends that are going to attend.

If you keep it local, then all of your bands will know what to expect and what problems you will face. They will be able to help you with the production/backline/crew aspect and not be disappointed if things fail. You also get a taste of how things work.

If you bring in a big band, then everything changes. I assume that everyone is prepared to take the financial loss if that happens.

I totally agree with Glenn. We need to think smaller and local for a first go! As I mentioned on one of these forums, $$$ is an issue and it doesn't grow on trees! We need to consider what it will cost us and whatnot, which is better to discuss in person in any case.

Already sent you my info.

And as for money... heh heh.

WHO ARE WE KIDDING???

I'm looking at this as a kinda "free" gig. If we get local yokels, then logicstics and expenses considered, it's another local gig. Right? Then, you consider the other bands that are playing on the bill and the amount of promotion we're all ready to put forth, it's no longer a "local" show, is it?

We come up with a list of bands that are ready to do a local club show, that has a kickass roster. We maybe get a few out-of-towners who wouldn't mind the travel for a really specialized audience and a fun gig.

As for money? Well, we charge more than the usual $5 cover band bar night. I'd think a $15 ticket seems a reasonable start. We'll see. We MAAAYYYBE print up 50-100 shirts and charge a couple dollars over cost. If anyone has connections at a printing shop, cool beans. We make sure we have APPROPRIATE vendor space to let a cd shop bring their wares, and let bands set up good tables for their merch and maybe hang their banner behind them there before/after their performances (cuz I always like seeing people pose for photos right in front of their big-ass band logo!). If there are bands that don't have a decent banner, I can help out by printing up a paper banner and coloring it in. Even if it's basic and monotone, it always looks better.

Just refreshed and read Glenn's input before posting all of this.
THE MAN KNOWS HIS SHIT!

When I say money I am talking about what will be spent before the show...some bands require retainers, food and drink allowances, will the venue we want want anything upfront, etc. These are things that just need to be consider and hammered out.

Your biggest decision is to figure out if you have a club to sponsor/host the event as a local show vs. a rental situation where you are in charge of everything.

If you rent, then you have additional costs such as rental fee, security, & insurance .

On top of that, you have crew (stage/lights/sound), backline, catering, backstage riders.

Plus the band fee itself. Normal policy is 50% deposit in advance.

Harvester said:
Your biggest decision is to figure out if you have a club to sponsor/host the event as a local show vs. a rental situation where you are in charge of everything.

If you rent, then you have additional costs such as rental fee, security, & insurance .

On top of that, you have crew (stage/lights/sound), backline, catering, backstage riders.

Plus the band fee itself. Normal policy is 50% deposit in advance.

Certainly right, I think renting is not even an option for us! Been there done that and it sucked!!! Getting a venue that already has that set up is less of a headache!! Glenn mentioned catering as well, the new FBI has a BBQ place inside the club.

Keep in mind that if you do a local show with no big acts, local bands should not expect catering, backstage riders, etc. It's a nice thing to do, but it is above and beyond the norm.

Harvester said:
Keep in mind that if you do a local show with no big acts, local bands should not expect catering, backstage riders, etc. It's a nice thing to do, but it is above and beyond the norm.

Well we just may take a lesson from the book of Glenn's Show Promotion 101 and have quality too!!:worship:

Thank god Glenn has chimed in. I think we need to, as he said step back and take a closer look at what we need, and the audience, and other things. I surely don't want anyone involved to lose money, and for our little show to go the way of other festivals that have bite off more than they can chew. So with that said, Glenn thanks for the input my man, and if there is any more info that you can share pleaase do.

Okay I'm jumping back in. I pulled off a sucessful two-day metal festival in June with very little cost to me.

I had built a good relationship with a club in Lansing and was hosting shows there monthly. When we set the schedule in January, I said I wanted to do a two-day metal fest in June. Even with so little time, I managed to pull it off.

I'm already developing relationships with the two venues I've mentioned, and I'm certain some of you who have lived here longer or are in bands, have connections as well. We do not need to even consider the option of renting unless we find the perfect venue that refuses to host the event.

We should utilize our local bands, and no more than 1 or 2 regional bands. For Madfest 2006 (the one I put together) I did a lot of research, and by virtue of knowning the scene already, put together a bitchin' lineup of bands from all across the state that would appeal to a similar crowd and had never played together before. Lansing was a great mid-point for bands from all around the state to meet, thus the appeal of the fest was the chance to see the best Michigan extreme metal bands playing on one stage together. Anytime I bring in a regional or national, it also seems they draw the least.

Doing a local show, the bands will not require guarantees. However if the band is fairly well-known and usually requires a guarantee, then we can have someone sponsor the band. Otherwise, forget it and move on.

Unless they are a national act, the bands had better not expect catering! :lol: I bought $50 worth of snack and water for the bands at Madfest and even set up a green room. They were delighted and had never been treated so well! Just like Glenn said, it's an extra cost that isn't necessary, but it does help you establish a good reputation of taking care of your bands.

As for t-shirts, the venue may be interested in sponsoring them if they get to showcase their logo big and proud; something that would end up happening anyway! If the venue doesn't want to, then we can approach local merchants that want to advertize to the music-loving crowd. For instance, independant music retailers, mom &pop restuarants in art/music districts, vintage clothing stores, tattoo & piercing parlors, smoke shops, skate shops, radio stations (tricky!), independant instrument retailers, leathercrafters, specialty jewelry shoppes, gaming stores, independant video shoppes, local music promotion companies, etc...

Also, any of those sponsors can be utilized for various expenses. T-shirts, banners, writsbands, tickets, flyer cards, etc...