Volbeat Cancel, Promoter devastated....

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
I normally avoid detailed explanations regarding the business. That is a positive in terms of professionalism, yet a negative in terms of dealing directly with the fans. This is one time where I believe the fans deserve the behind the scenes story.

Due to Volbeat having no North American representation back in August of last year, I contacted the band directly through a mutual friend. I was instructed to contact their Scandinavian booking agent at the time to begin negotiations. I sent several email to that person and received zero response. I notified the band that of the current problem. I was referred to their record label, Mascot Records. I explained the situation to them and received a very enthusiastic response. They asked for the terms of the offer and I gave it to them. They proceeded to tell me they would talk to the band and be back in touch.

I contacted the label representative at the beginning of September and explained that I needed a decision. I wanted to do a video announcement at the festival this year and needed time to put it together. The label confirmed the band and proceeded to tell me they planned on having Volbeat do additional dates in the U.S. around the festival. They thought it would be perfect considering the timing of the new release. Done deal. I still have that specific email on file.

I then received an email from the label after the first of the year stating they were “not sure” if the band could perform. I was obviously upset and showed him the exact email with the confirmation. Why would I have spent four months promoting the band if I did not have a confirmation? He then proceeded to say that I needed to speak with the band’s European booking agent that had taken over all booking aspects (they evidently had fired the Scandinavian booker). I contacted him with proof of the confirmation from the label. Both he and the band stated they were never notified of the confirmation of the show. I asked how that was possible considering I had been promoting the band since September. I told them that I had already given them more promotion in North America in four months than the band had ever received. I was then told the band was not sure of their schedule because of the growing demand for the band and the schedule around the new release. The would work to make it happen though (and I trust their Euro booking agent 100% as he is a good friend of mine).

No word for a few weeks.

At the first of March, I asked their booking agent if I should cancel them then. I did not want to put tickets on sale with their name of the roster if they knew they were going to pull out. I was assured they were going to do everything possible to keep the date. What could I do? I had a deal in place. I had already promoted the band for four months. There was still seven months before the show. That should be more than enough advance notice to leave my date alone and schedule around me. It was only one weekend. I had to wait it out.

I sent a few more emails and was told that a U.S.booking agent was coming over to scout them and potentially build a tour around the festival. Everything was looking like it was falling into place.

It was not.

Volbeat will be heading out on a European tour the same weekend as ProgPower USA. They have apologized for the cancellation of the show they “never confirmed.” They have said they will issue a statement if I wanted them to. I told them it didn't matter. I was going to tell the truth.

The bottom line is that I got fucked over for doing exactly as I was told to do.

I am more upset with this cancellation than I have ever been in my history as a festival promoter. Volbeat was the number one band I was looking forward to seeing this year. I know that many fans were just as excited as I was. I deeply apologize about the situation. This business sucks sometimes.

As for my plans, give me a few days. I could replace a power metal band with a power metal band. I could replace a progressive metal band with a progressive metal band. Hell, I could replace a growler with a growler. What I cannot do is replace Volbeat with anything remotely close to what they are.

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!! That sucks big time VOLBEAT was the main Band I wanted to see and I was Honored Glenn choose me as their sponsor, Oh Well. Glenn use me as a sponsor for any band you need to. I am probably as devastated as Glenn is, and now i have to work today.

:ill::zombie::erk::cry:o_O

I'm in total shock about this. I'm sorry for all the BS you've been through regarding this.

Thank you for being up front and letting the fans know what happened.

Keep us posted when you find a replacement band.

THis SUCKS beyond belief. I can;t believe this was done to you GLenn.

God dammit!!!

They were one of the bands I was looking forward to the most to see.
I'm sorry to hear about what happened Glenn. Unfair, beyond belief....

well, crap. :erk: I was really getting into this band and looking very forward to having them kick my ass all over Center Stage.

damn. I hate it for you Glenn because I know you were more excited than any of us to be bringing them here. :cry:

I appreciate the honesty and respect that you have for the fans. Sometimes i think we can take for granted how much that you do and the bullshit you have to put up with to provide everyone an all around entertaining experience. This will be my first ProgPower event this year. But I have been well informed what I can expect and am really looking forward to it. I have to admit that Volbeat was definitely one of the top 3 that I wanted to see. I am sorry that this one didn't work out. But I am sure that whoever you get to fill in will be a worthwhile replacement. I just hope that this will not affect us seeing them at a later event.

Hey Glenn,

Thank you for sharing that with us. I appreciate you giving the fans the inside scoop. I am sorry for the crap you have to deal with sometimes. I, like you, was very interested in seeing these guys. I have no doubt that the band that you choose to replace Volbeat will be excellent. I look forward to seeing you soon.

Brand

Even though Volbeat was my least favorite as far as looking forward to seeing. It upsets me that Glenn was treated that way. I was going to give them a chance anyway, the same way I did for Freak Kitchen. I was blown away with FK so I had high hopes for Volbeat. Now we have another band to wonder about and I can guarantee it will be awesome. Lets look at the facts:

1. Astral Doors out, Rob Rock in.
2. Serenity out. Saint Deamon in.

Given Glenns track record of replacing great bands with greater bands we have nothing to worry about.

Wow, Glenn. That really sucks, although I really hadn't made much effort to get into this band yet, I know you and a lot of other people were really looking forward to their performance.

The crappy thing is that it doesn't even seam like they realize how big of a break this was for them in the US market. I mean I know ProgPower isn't "mainstream popular" like say Ozzfest or even Gigantour, but it's still a pretty a big thing for any underground metal band coming over from Europe in terms of exposure to a US metal audience. Like you said, you had already give them more promotion than they had ever received in the states previously, and that (more than likely) would have really helped them with whatever additional dates they wanted to schedule for their US tour. I understand that the band is coming from the perspective of "Well, nobody told us," but I still think that they could have handled this a lot differently, with results that would have been better for everyone (you, Volbeat, their management/booking an their fans) in the long run.

I'm sure you will find a more than adequate replacement to fill the current void in the lineup, (although I have to admit, I'm pulling for a power metal band). :headbang: Either way, Glenn, we know you've worked your butt off to make this the best damn metal festival in the US and I'm sure you won't disappoint us with whomever you add to the festival roster - be it prog metal, power metal, a combination of the two, or something totally out of left field that will surprise us all.

Three post-announcement replacement bands in one festival year - Damn, Glenn! I don't know how you do it sometimes, but we're glad you do! Someone needs to give you the Ball of Platinum award this year! :worship:

I'm sorry you have to deal with this crap, Glenn.

You rock as a promoter, though -- I hadn't heard of them before and now that I've given them a listen, I think they're great.

I'm a bit torn about buying more now that I hear how they canceled the show "they never confirmed".

Man, this year must be hell on you Glenn, having to replace three bands from your lineup already. I'm as disappointed as you that Volbeat won't be there. Certainly, I wouldn't have heard about them if it wasn't for you. I wish you luck in trying to replace them.

Jason

I've got to admit I'm still more upset with Serenity cancelling as their cd to me is one of my favorite releases of 2007. Now I wish that I didn't support Volbeat as much buying both their cds and their dvd. That will teach me. Sorry Glenn, that really sucks. I guess the only replacement possible is Freak Kitchen. Good luck, I'm sure you'll find a suitable replacement.

Wow. Not fair, but I'm sure you will find a solid replacement. I just picked up a bunch of Amorphis online last night and I was this close to getting a bunch of Volbeat tracks, but I was tired and went to bed so I planned on getting them today. Now with this news. F THEM!! The $15 or so I was going to spend on them will be going elsewhere.

Wow! That's totally crazy! First, it is hard to believe that any band in this scene wouldn't be happy and honored to play this festival and work their schedule around one weekend -- a weekend that can greatly help their musical presence in this country. Second, it is hard to believe that such unprofessional behavior still exists out there and that a band, its label , and management would allow someone to promote them for 4 months (I had never even heard of these guys before that video announcement) and then turn around and say they never knew?

While I had not gotten around to really listening to these guys yet, I was still looking forward to them as I have friends that were excited about seeing them and considering that they were in that magic #3 spot, I wasn't going to miss their set.

Glenn, it really is a shame that this kind of stuff happens and you have to put up with all the crap, but I do appreciate your honesty in this situation and trust that you will find a suitable replacement. Although I do agree that it will be more difficult to find that "oddball" band then a standard power or prog metal band. Good luck!!

Sorry about the situation Glenn.

I hope things work out for you finding a replacement. I don't know how this business works well enough, but isn't there a breach of contract going on?

I find it funny how bands will find some criticism about them on some obscure forum, but when it comes to a big festival date publicized on all major metal news sites, them being friends with Claus, forum posts all over, etc... that somehow this band never heard of the announcement? Bullshit. I wonder if they go offered a bigger paying deal and are just playing ignorant. I'm a cynic.

Speaking of cynic...