Does your band need a booking agent?

very interesting....I do like that they bought up working on the set list and making a good live show. So many bands seem to just get up on stage and play thier 5 to 6 songs with no plan. The worst thing that openers do is joke with thier buddies they bought to the show on stage. It drives me nuts because it is like....you have 30 minutes or less to win over the crowd and you want to joke with your freinds??? Worse is when they "think" they are winning over the crowd and play over thier time. Some of the better local acts I have seen come on and play and do little talking and are done before 30 minutes...with the shorter set it makes you just get enough where you are having the crowd hungry for more or at least be interested to see you guys again.

very good article.

That was very interesting. Sent that on to some people I know could use some advice in that arena. Thanks for posting.

Yes, great article. Anyone that knows me could ask several of the bands I've worked with around Atlanta and they'd tell you I've offered similar advice regarding the set list, the stage presence, and the 'look'. I've also mentioned more than once the importance of what Diabolik stated:

very interesting....I do like that they bought up working on the set list and making a good live show. So many bands seem to just get up on stage and play thier 5 to 6 songs with no plan...
Some of the better local acts I have seen come on and play and do little talking and are done before 30 minutes...with the shorter set it makes you just get enough where you are having the crowd hungry for more or at least be interested to see you guys again

Thanks Theli.....this article was fantastic. So many times I have said this stuff to people about being a local act. I am glad they mention also about drawing and making a certai amount in your home town and surrounding cities. Again that is super important. You dont get a true number of "fans" when you drag your co-workers and stuff in. It is interesting to see when local acts play a little farther from thier safe zone to see what thier draw actually is.

I cant say it enough....the shorter set works. I have seen some decent local acts play a couple songs to many where I got sick of them or said that was all I ever needed to hear again.

What ever happened to just writing good music?

But yes, its a good article from a fan standpoint, as I've looked forward to seeing a few of the local bands play, and then when I do, they are completely lifeless on stage, and their set-list is too long for the material they have. If they look like they'd be elsewhere, I guarantee you that I will too.

You don't have to have the uniform, of course, but your clothes do affect your stage presence (if you don't like that fact, then don't play live).

What ever happened to just writing good music?

Has that ever been sufficient?

This is a good article. Pretty spot on with just about everything. I hate when great bands don't do anything to promote themselves. There's a fantastic band from around these parts that still draws pretty consistently just because of their live show, but I hardly ever see them do any promotion. A shame, because they could really be a 'big' band in their style of music.

What do you mean? Are you saying that writing good music is enough to get a band booked? 'Cause if that's the case, you're wrong.

Sad, but true. There's a reason I spend a lot of time online, and it's not just because I work a government job and like reading Geekoligie.com..

What do you mean? Are you saying that writing good music is enough to get a band booked? 'Cause if that's the case, you're wrong.

I'm saying that most bands don't deserve to be booked, because they haven't spent enough time in the shed. It's not enough to get booked, but it helps, and the article didn't really point that out. That's the first thing that a band should stress. The other stuff doesn't take care of itself, but you build the foundation before you build house.

I'm saying that most bands don't deserve to be booked, because they haven't spent enough time in the shed. It's not enough to get booked, but it helps, and the article didn't really point that out. That's the first thing that a band should stress. The other stuff doesn't take care of itself, but you build the foundation before you build house.

What language was that?

It's entirely circular. You get tighter and more focused by playing shows more but you've gotta have a certain level of readiness to even play that first show. Everyone starts somewhere.

It's entirely circular. You get tighter and more focused by playing shows more but you've gotta have a certain level of readiness to even play that first show. Everyone starts somewhere.

Playing live helps. But so does practicing, and working really hard at writing songs. Some bands get big after a long stint of playing shitty music at small live shows, but I am willing to be that many of the bands who have 'made it' did so by spending time in the shed. The shed being wherever they spend their time to practice, write, re-write, etc. Too many bands have a facebook (was myspace) site before they can play.

Also, as with any business, if you try to create a customer base for your product, you are fighting a difficult battle. Sometimes you need to find a customer base, and create a product for them, or find the customer base to deliver your product. Jazz musicians learned this a long time ago. Some metal bands have too.

A lot of musicians do not want the nomadic lifestyle involved. That probably is one of the major limiters on the career of any musician/band. Sure you can go tour 200 days a year, but you could make more at Chic-Fil-A (and obviously at better paying careers) and still record music, and then play a few live dates. This seems to be the formula for the majority of my favorite metal bands. I realize this article was 'if you want to be booked', so I'm digressing ;)

My problem is I don't understand what you wrote ... it makes no sense to me ... Perhaps I need to get my tuition back ;)

I'll rewrite for you. Danish Pride or something ;)

Many bands who want to be booked, do not have the talent sufficient for regular bookings. These bands need to spend more time working on their music, instead of being concerned with getting on stage. Once a band has strong material and can play it well, then it is time to start playing live. It pays off this way.