Volbeat Cancel, Promoter devastated....

WOW - initially I was unsure about these guys in a major way

And then I somehow did a 180 and really got into what I heard - so I was definitely looking forward to them in a big way

Hate that it came down the way it did too Glenn - totally lame:mad:

Man I have taken two hits so far - Serenity and now Volbeat

I sure hope that's the extent of scheduling issues (fingers crossed)

<cause if something happens to Riverside I seriously might wind up on a COPS episodeo_O>

Wow! That's totally crazy! First, it is hard to believe that any band in this scene wouldn't be happy and honored to play this festival and work their schedule around one weekend -- a weekend that can greatly help their musical presence in this country.

I can think of a few reasons why they might not. One, not having a US record deal. Second, trying to come over to the US, even for a festival gig, can be very costly. Then there is the fact that they seem to have already made plans for europe.

I agree with you that a slamming performance here would do nothing but good for them, but I can also see the risks. Course, we don't know quite who to blame here. The record label? It seems like they made promises that they couldn't keep. Course, there could be more than what is on the surface.

In any case, I'm not going to hold this against the band if they really didn't know about it. It wouldn't be the first time...

Jason

The crappy thing is that it doesn't even seam like they realize how big of a break this was for them in the US market. I mean I know ProgPower isn't "mainstream popular" like say Ozzfest or even Gigantour, but it's still a pretty a big thing for any underground metal band coming over from Europe in terms of exposure to a US metal audience.

Before anyone loses the perspective on this, let's put a few things straight.

Yes, it is incredibly sad that VB won't be at ProgPower USA this year. Glenn did everything right, and noone deserves (least of all Glenn) to be treated this way by any management/booking-agent/label/whatever. Having been talking to the band on and off, I know they wanted to do the show.

HOWEVER, the band is not "an underground metal band from Europe". They are HUGE over here. Really huge. Their next album can not only provide them with a bigger audience, it can MAKE them in the European mainstream scene. We're talking stadium-big, not a club-band.

In Denmark alone, VB is the first metal band EVER to sell double-platinum of their album.

No matter what, seen from a marketing perspective, cancelling PPUSA and doing their own Euro tour is not only a logic conclusion, but the only one they can make at this stage of their career.

That said, I do wish we still lived in a time where bands (or in this case, their representatives) honoured their first obligations, rather than going for the marketing value.

c.

PS: This situation reminds me so much of something that happened half a year ago, although on a much smaller scale. And, just like Glenn is devastated now, so was I back then ... and I still am sad/upset about it, so I'm sure this situation now will be haunting Glenn for a long time.

Claus,

If they could break into the US they'd stand to make a lot of money. But now they have given up on that. Unless they plan to push their single onto radio stations in the US, and then do a normal tour that isn't relying on the US metal community.

Claus .. I was writing a post similar to yours in some ways, but decided to delete it because I think your thoughts sum the situations up real well.

Britt

PS I don't think I could be a promoter. I would tell too many bands to go fuck themselves.

MAJOR bummer! Although it looks like things will most definately keep me away from Atlanta this year (personal stuff, NOTHING to do with the lineup itself), Volbeat was going to be one of, if not THE highlight for me this year.
Never heard of them before your announcement at the end of the fest last year, busted my butt to acquire their cds and really enjoyed what I heard.
We always have faith in you, and we'll see what you can pull off for a suitable replacement. Shit happens, and I hope everybody understands.

Brother John C - I guess we'll have to stow our Elvis wigs & jumpsuits for another time...:cry:

Sorry to hear the bad news Glenn.
It was very cool how you wanted to gear up the excitement for this years show with the line-up announcement at the end of last years show. As great as it was, maybe you should go back to how you used to announce the line-ups...... a few bands every few weeks when you had everything nailed down absolutely ( I know that there's always a chance you'll get screwed anyway). I think that we ProgPower USA fans can show a little patience if it means that you can keep your sanity. I'd hate to see you promoting and organizing this festival from a padded room! :loco: Just a thought........
Take care Glenn......you're still the best!

Definitely was looking forward to Volbeat as was a good majority of the ProgPower community. I am greatly disappointed by this change and feel for you Glenn. I have the utmost faith in you though, as I'm sure everyone else here does; if there ever was a such thing as a Miracle Man I'd say you would take the title with the things you pull off each year no matter how severe the turn of events might be.

That sucks Glenn, realy hope you can get this situation figured out.

Claus,

If they could break into the US they'd stand to make a lot of money. But now they have given up on that. Unless they plan to push their single onto radio stations in the US, and then do a normal tour that isn't relying on the US metal community.

As much as it sucks and as bit a part of this festival is to a lot of people, please don't have any dillusions that this will effect them in the grand scheme of things. Maybe they won't get the chance to play progpower again, maybe it's put a bad taste in the mouths of a lot of folks on this forum, but (no offense to Glenn, but i'm sure he is realistic enough to know this) Progpower alone is in no way going to make or break a band in the metal scene.

I mean, look at Freak Kitchen. They got huge positive response from the progpower crowd... aaaaaaand their headlining US tour is where? That doesn't mean they're not a great band, but the point stands.

Just thought it was a really silly and overly dramatic thing to say.

You know, honestly, I can't fault the band at all here. They handled this very reasonably and it's just a really unfortunate situation. They were the band I was looking forward to the MOST this year but I hope that next they get invited to and are confirmed for the NEXT ProgPower.

Volbeat is already big in Europe though. So breaking into the US was more possible than FK (the band makes cash, thus labels are more likely to spend cash on them).

FK got a good response, but they don't have the label to push them into US markets (such as on the radio), nor to get them on the right tours, etc.

Volbeat could come over here and go on various tours with more popular metal/alt metal bands. For example, they could fit onto a tour like Rockstar Mayhem, or hell even just do Warp Tour.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO oh well. I was looking forward to them the most behind Elvenking and Iron Savior, but if they're too busy to take one weekend out of their schedule, then fuck 'em. I understand they're "huge in Europe" and that "this tour could push them into the mainstream" and all of that, but they couldn't do a one off in the States? I think that’s kind of sad. Especially for a Festival like this. Do your big bad stadium tours in Europe. Become "THE BAND", and keep yourself isolated and alienated in the US by skipping out on a date scheduled a YEAR in advance and snubbing the most highly touted Metal Festival stateside? Where's the smart business practice there?

I find that some bands in Europe like to complain that there’s no metal market in the US, and when given a chance to help build and promote the scene in a situation where they can count on an audience, they tend to be quiet, or make excuses as to why they can’t participate.

I also have a problem with Volbeat’s claim that they weren’t told about the date. I find that impossible to be so out of touch with your fanbase, your promoter, your manager, AND your record label that you have no idea that you’re booked internationally for four months.

Let me put things into perspective about Volbeat (if Claus already didn't haha). Last year (or maybe it was 2006) they did DIRECT SUPPORT for Metallica in Denmark (Over Mnemic, much less). They are bigger than pretty much every band that has ever played Prog Power save for Nightwish in some countries. I am actually not shocked about this at all because it is a relatively small spot for a band that big, who could be doing much bigger gigs. It sucks, and it would have been awesome for a band like Volbeat to show a little modesty but it's not the case I guess. :D

The sad thing is Mascot USA and their PR, behind the scenes, are building up the whole Volbeat thing to start breaking them in the States. This is a nice black eye towards that.

Since l'm not attending this year & Volbeat are a non factor anyway as far as l'm concerned...l really don't have a dog on this hunt. But considering the devalueing US dollar versus the Euro, costs of transportation (i.e. fuel), and differences in metal popularity between Europe & the US...breaking into the US is probably not much of a concern for the band.

The sad thing is Mascot USA and their PR, behind the scenes, are building up the whole Volbeat thing to start breaking them in the States. This is a nice black eye towards that.

It's not Mascot's fault that Volbeat cancelled though. They don't book shows.

Damn Damn Dammity Damn Damn Damn

I wish there was a way to return the CD and DVD I bought from Ken... this definitely leaves a sour taste in the mouth. In fact, I *just* watched the Volbeat DVD yesterday for the first time and was definitely looking forward to what they'd bring to ProgPower this year. Now all I want to do is run over the CD and DVD in my car a few times and mail the busted up pieces back to Volbeat and their management/record label/promoter. Perhaps that would send an adequate message.

Now all I want to do is run over the CD and DVD in my car a few times and mail the busted up pieces back to Volbeat and their management/record label/promoter. Perhaps that would send an adequate message.

Yawn ... how ignorant can one be?

As I mentioned further up, the band wanted to do this show. I've spoken to Michael about it on several occasions, and he was looking forward to it.

Blame all those fans in Europe who has built them up to a place in their career where they HAVE to do the Euro tour. Blame the label that demands them to stay in Europe for that time period and for choosing that time for release of the next time. Blame the booking agent for booking a tour at the same time as the US show. But don't blame the band on this.

c.