Volbeat Cancel, Promoter devastated....

So Volbeat didn't figure they could have sold enough T-shirts on that tour to cover all those touring expenses you listed above?

Since they have never played the US before, it certainly would have been a struggle to offset those costs. However, since Volbeat has high CD sales worldwide, you would think that the label would have been willing to cover those costs. So before you try to open a whole new can of worms by insinuating that merch isn't a feasible source for income, the alternative (AKA your pathetic and obsolete argument) would have proven to be just as insufficient. Volbeat is not a band that is struggling from record sales but they still encounter this problem. Interesting.

If it was a small-time unknown promoter, I would agree with you 100%. If it were Jack Koshick, I would have laughed at my own statement. They screwed over one of metal promotions biggest, and one of the most respected, gunslingers. I know there are promoters who might take a chance, but they will see this and ask "why should I?"

:lol: what the hell are you talking about? :lol: Volbeat already had an offer to tour the US that they turned down in favor of a European tour (which is why they canceled PP in the first place), and this is only after 2 albums. With another album and a few large European tours, it will be in promoters' best interest to book them. This is business, not a buddy-buddy carnival.

Also, to be honest, even if you were right and Volbeat's career in the US was "set back" a few years, it probably wouldn't matter much to them since in 5 years they will be headlining stadiums and continue to sell records in Europe. As I stated before, the US is not the center of the universe.

FYI, prior to what Jack Koshick has put on in recent years (abominations... haha), he has been responsible for bringing FAR more bands to the States than Glenn has. He may be a greedy bastard, but his festivals in the 90s were EPIC.

In other words, many of the people there are going to be waiting for them to get off the stage.

Hmmm - this is not quite the EPIC tour I was expecting to hear them ditching us for. In Flames is obviously successful in a lot of places - so playing with them will get them in front of a lot of people - maybe they can convert a few of them. Not at all what I was expecting to hear though - in terms of status or style of the band they are supporting.

I'm sorry.. but supporting In Flames doesn't strike me as something SO HUGE A BAND AS VOLBEAT, as they've been talked up, merely a year from selling out stadiums (must be ping pong stadiums not in China) should be doing. For all accounts of what I've read, In Flames should be BEGGING to support Volbeat.

I mean, unless In Flames is selling out stadiums on this tour and I'm totally misjudging their ability to draw metallica like crowds...

I'm sorry.. but supporting In Flames doesn't strike me as something SO HUGE A BAND AS VOLBEAT, as they've been talked up, merely a year from selling out stadiums (must be ping pong stadiums not in China) should be doing. For all accounts of what I've read, In Flames should be BEGGING to support Volbeat.

I mean, unless In Flames is selling out stadiums on this tour and I'm totally misjudging their ability to draw metallica like crowds...

Do you have any idea how many people In Flames brings in in Europe? lol... we're talking thousands of people per night. This tour is WAYY better for Volbeat than ProgPower.

And FYI, I can pretty much guarentee you that not a single PP band would have been offered this tour. Not even the big guys like Nightwish or Iced Earth when they had only 2 albums out (a tour of this size I mean). Even if they had been offered that tour (highly doubtful), they certainly wouldn't have had the sales/popularity to warrant the label to invest the kind of money needed to put them on.

Seriously, how dense/delusional are you guys? If they got direct support for The Beatles you probably say the same thing out of ignorance. "UHHHH HEY GUYS THIS IS NOT WHAT I WAS EXPECTING AND THEY STILL SHOULD HAvE TAKEN PROG POWER".... Jeez...

To put things into perspective... this tour is easily much bigger in size and draw than the Disturbed tour Nevermore was supposed to do in Europe that they canceled PP for.

To put things into perspective... this tour is easily much bigger in size and draw than the Disturbed tour Nevermore was supposed to do in Europe that they canceled PP for.

Yep.

Good to know that Gojira has a lot more popularity in Europe than they do here though. They're playing after Volbeat but I had thought they were still relatively unknown.

Do you have any idea how many people In Flames brings in in Europe? lol... we're talking thousands of people per night. This tour is WAYY better for Volbeat than ProgPower... Seriously, how dense/delusional are you guys? If they got direct support for The Beatles you probably say the same thing out of ignorance. "UHHHH HEY GUYS THIS IS NOT WHAT I WAS EXPECTING AND THEY STILL SHOULD HAvE TAKEN PROG POWER".... Jeez...

1. I didn't say a damned word about prog power, you'll notice.
2. In Flames draws thousands per night? ....Thousands? I looked up Razzamatazz in Spain, a venue they'll be playing on the upcoming tour, and it sure as hell doesn't look like it holds "thousands" of people.

If the statement does hold true though, I guess I thought Europeans had taste. :p

1. I didn't say a damned word about prog power, you'll notice.
2. In Flames draws thousands per night? ....Thousands? I looked up Razzamatazz in Spain, a venue they'll be playing on the upcoming tour, and it sure as hell doesn't look like it holds "thousands" of people.

If the statement does hold true though, I guess I thought Europeans had taste. :p

Yes, thousands. Spain is not a major market for metal. In Germany, Scandinavia, UK, and some other European markets like Belgium and The Netherlands, they will easily bring in 1,500-2,000 people per show at LEAST. Think about it, In Flames is doing direct support for Megadeth in the US, obviously they'd be even bigger on their home turf (than in the US I mean... not bigger than Megadeth). It's logic.

Also with respect to your "taste," opinion, while I know you're obviously being a bit tongue in cheek with that statement, never let your personal opinion get in the way of facts. There are plenty of bands like Caliban and Heaven Shall Burn, that we might think suck, that pull huge numbers in Europe.

How many people do you think will actually show up to see Volbeat though? At most shows I go to, the opening act has very few people to play to because most people show up for the mid/headlining bands.