Volbeat Cancel, Promoter devastated....

So basically... Me falling down the stairs yesterday was a precursor to a really shitty week? :(
Volbeat was THE band we were looking forward to seeing. I still have no problem attending but man does this suck.

Doesn't change my thinking about going one bit. While I was looking forward to seeing them, they were down on my list if for only because I know little about the band and have only heard a couple of songs. The way it was handled by the band is pretty shitty regardless. I know that they won't be replaced by the same thing, but I know that Glenn will find something else kick ass to put in their place. In fact, I have tickets for all four nights of festivities and can't effin wait.

Wow. This sucks as I was totally expecting them to pull a "Freak Kitchen" energy out and blow the lid off the venue.

I agree that something doesn't sound right and I can bet that since the annoucement, their record sales went up a bit.

Regardless, we all have faith in you.

The crappy thing is that it doesn't even seam like they realize how big of a break this was for them in the US market. I mean I know ProgPower isn't "mainstream popular" like say Ozzfest or even Gigantour, but it's still a pretty a big thing for any underground metal band coming over from Europe in terms of exposure to a US metal audience.

True. Every band I've talked to "after the fact" has had NOTHING but good to great things to say about ProgPower. I've even had a few tell me that after they got off stage, they cried....

Even bands that no one :knows: are still playing to a damn near full house.

It sucks that they had to walk past this opportunity.

-Metal

A big ugly UGH to this news.

Sorry for all this ordeal Glenn. Nothing sucks like having the rug pulled out from under you......after you have done everything you were asked to do.

But...moving forward....I'm excited to hear who will replace Volbeat.

No sense in me repeating things that have already been said over and over again. Im more curious as to whether or not Glenn is going to try to get another fourth tier band, or possibly bump the bands up and get a lesser known act. Could get interesting for a band(s) bumped up and a smaller addition be put into the roster I think. It's obviously a hard predicament trying to find a suitable replacement to a band that seems irreplaceable. food for thought I suppose.

I could think of a couple I'd like to see, but those are just thoughts. :)

Hey, tickets are in hand, hotel reservations are made, and I don't care who Glenn books. We are going to have an awesome time in Atlanta that weekend regardless of who fills the slot!

I read the news at Blabbermouth and have been following this thread.

First of all, I am from Denmark (hej Claus-Jürgen, er du flyttet?) and Volbeat are indeed huge here. Opened for Metallica, played a show with Megadeth (Dave Mustaine asked Volbeat to be co-headlining with Megadeth), played main stage at Roskilde Festival, Wacken Open Air and countless other shows.

Now, the talk has been going on Volbeat cancelling this festival (and thereby being the badguys), however there has been no mention whatsoever of a signed contract for them to play at ProgPower - a contract they should have broken. A conformation from someone at the label is not an agreement (and yes, I have been working in the music-industry for many years, in management, at labels, stores, magazines, etc so I know how things work in this business). To me this looks like PP being a little to anxious to present the band before the deal is closed.

I just wonder if stuff like this, causes ProgPowers demise. I mean with all these cancellations and other crap happening all the time it has to get really old. If I was Glenn i would probably be close to saying fuck this.

I just wonder if stuff like this, causes ProgPowers demise. I mean with all these cancellations and other crap happening all the time it has to get really old. If I was Glenn i would probably be close to saying fuck this.

While no one ever wants to deal with the headaches these types of situations cause, as long as the festival continues to be both a profitable and enjoyable enterprise for Glenn, I doubt he'll pack up the moving boxes anytime soon.

Jason

That sucks Glenn! So sorry to hear that. I remember talking to Michael about getting on last years bill...and was psyched to see you book them this year. BUT, you have pulled out more from less. Remember the first couple years? :)

I'd say just go for unique. Devin would rule again, but that's a LOOOONG shot. Wishing you the best...

Peace.

Thanks for sharing the details with us. Volbeat was a band that did grow on me. I was looking forward to seeing them. It's a shame. I'm sure that you'll come up with a different good band. I know that there are lots that could fill that slot.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, from what I've read, it seems that it was the label's (for not keeping on top of the situation and not having the integrity to honor a confirmed booking for possibly more $$$ and less travel expenses for the European tour) and the booking agent's (not honoring a commitment made before he took over) fault, but possibly not the band's fault (I guess they don't have any say where they play anyways right?). Even though I read that this will not hurt how well the do in America, I can't help thinking that they still missed a HUGE opportunity. What other U.S. date could they play that would have such a high percentage of people who not only from all over the country but around the world? I'd think that whatever tour they end up doing here, short of a tour most of North America, they will have missed some exposure, especially with the people that come from areas that usually or sometimes get passed over on tours.

First of all, I am from Denmark (hej Claus-Jürgen, er du flyttet?) and Volbeat are indeed huge here. Opened for Metallica, played a show with Megadeth (Dave Mustaine asked Volbeat to be co-headlining with Megadeth), played main stage at Roskilde Festival, Wacken Open Air and countless other shows.

Now, the talk has been going on Volbeat cancelling this festival (and thereby being the badguys), however there has been no mention whatsoever of a signed contract for them to play at ProgPower - a contract they should have broken. A conformation from someone at the label is not an agreement (and yes, I have been working in the music-industry for many years, in management, at labels, stores, magazines, etc so I know how things work in this business). To me this looks like PP being a little to anxious to present the band before the deal is closed.

Thank you! However I will say that this cancellation wasn't Glenn's fault in the slightest either. He's a pro.

Helrunar, its good to know that you know more about the business than Glenn.

If a Band says 'talk to our label' and a promoter talks to the label and confirms something, that's a done deal imo.

Dammit... I knew I shouldn't get out of bed this morning. This is a crushing blow to the remnants of an already battered day...

Glenn, at least you spread some love for a truly great band. If the band was as interested as they said, they'll be back. Give em two albums and let them headline. Then we'll come out winners in this deal.

They didn't play the main stage at Wacken .. they played the 3rd largest stage (Party stage). I didn't notice people going nuts over them, so to hear how popular they are over there was kind of suprising to me.

Britt

I mean, look at Freak Kitchen. They got huge positive response from the progpower crowd... aaaaaaand their headlining US tour is where? That doesn't mean they're not a great band, but the point stands.

:heh: Lots of stuff coming in 2009, couple of cds (3 if you want to be exact), DVD... You never know... Their popularity is growing from Prog Power, but also from other vehicles as well (NAMM, finally getting some press in US guitar rags, etc.) :saint:

I agree this won't hurt their chances. However, I just don't see Volbeat becoming big over here... and I like Volbeat.

I never would have thought you'd be a Volbeat fan... That's cool though! :headbang:

It's funny how spoiled you guys (well, me too :D) are. Were any of you complaining when Scar Symmetry cancelled PPUK to do the Dark Tranquillty tour in the US? Nah... I doubt it :lol:.

I wasn't complaining because I didn't give a rats ass about Scar Symmetry.
Sucks for the UK fest, but nope, couldn't care less...

Yeah, you must know what your talking about. You've filled your replies with nothing but factual data. Yeah, you're not ignorant. :lol:

Mom will ground him from the computer soon enough. And it's quite interesting when all his posts read: "You don't know what your talking about LOL OMG!" "Do your research! LOLZ111!!" Still comes off as a mouthy punk who seldom adds anything to a conversation, more of a repeating parrot. Could you be more redundant ATB? :Smug: