Volbeat Cancel, Promoter devastated....

Uh, dude, I interview bands all over the world. To a band, without exception, they've heard of ProgPower USA. We're not just a tick on the hind end of a dog. PPUSA has a world-wide reputation.

Please don't post crap like this when you obviously don't know what you're talking about.

Uh, dude, I wasn't talking about whether or not bands you've interviewed around the world have heard of PP; I was referring to the idea that by canceling their appearance and incurring the temporary wrath of a relative handful of metal-board posters, Volbeat was somehow jeopardizing their shot at conquering the US.

And I will continue to post crap, thank you very much.

I'm not saying USA is the center of the universe, I guess I'm saying that Denmark isn't the center of the Universe. I'm sure most bands aren't saying "so what about the US", they would be stupid if they did. If they happened to stumple onto a hit, their sales could shoot through the roof unlike any other country could. I'm very interested to see what happens with Volbeat after they have 5 albums out. They are a very good band, though I don't agree they are as big (yet) as you are making them out to be.

Not sure how to reply to this other than you need to look up how the music business works haha.

I think you could go to Sweden Rock's website and see how high up the list is Volbeat, and that's about how high they should be. They've got a lot of potential to be big, they aren't there yet. I think you could probably count on one hand the amount of people that had heard of Volbeat prior to Glenn announcing them for this fest.

I think a lot of props need to go out to a band like Manticora who took on a tour with C2C/Circus Maximus, stayed with the tour when C2C dropped off, and then agreed to do another tour w/ Jon Oliva's Pain after the Circus Maximus tour was cancelled.

I think you could go to Sweden Rock's website and see how high up the list is Volbeat, and that's about how high they should be. They've got a lot of potential to be big, they aren't there yet. I think you could probably count on one hand the amount of people that had heard of Volbeat prior to Glenn announcing them for this fest.

Differs from country to country dude... It has nothing to do with what "should" or "shouldn't" be. And yeah I could count the number of people on my hand that had heard of Volbeat prior to Glenn's announcement....In the *US*, but Volbeat had been doing much touring in Germany, Denmark and a bunch others and had become a household name in those countries at the time. Once again, the US is not the center of the universe... lol

Bear in mind that I'm not saying Volbeat is on par with Whitesnake or Poison or Priest in terms of popularity (yet), and if you think that's what I said you really need to go back and re-read my comments. I did say that Volbeat is definitely more popular on the worldwide scale than most ProgPower bands, though. This is the truth.

For reference, the fact that Volbeat actually played OVER Mnemic for that Metallica gig in Denmark should be more than enough proof to you that popularity can differer from country to country, where Mnemic actually has toured in the US and has some sort of following but didn't really have much of a following in Europe whatsoever prior to their tour with Deftones last year.

Uh, dude, I wasn't talking about whether or not bands you've interviewed around the world have heard of PP; I was referring to the idea that by canceling their appearance and incurring the temporary wrath of a relative handful of metal-board posters, Volbeat was somehow jeopardizing their shot at conquering the US.

And I will continue to post crap, thank you very much.

I apologize for my response to your post. Your wording came off a little harsh, considering the circumstances. A little more tact would have helped. Perhaps for both of us. :)

Uh, dude, I interview bands all over the world. To a band, without exception, they've heard of ProgPower USA. We're not just a tick on the hind end of a dog. PPUSA has a world-wide reputation.

Please don't post crap like this when you obviously don't know what you're talking about.

He knows perfectly well what he's talking about. The failure of your argument, which you pointed out but failed to recognize, is that you interview bands all over the world. The fact of the matter is that if every band to ever play ProgPower USA, we the fans, the festival itself, and the promotor were vaporized in a fiery explosion it would go completely unnoticed in the mainstream US music scene.

ProgPower is hands down the best Metal fest in the country IMO, and no doubt most here would agree. Since there is a far bigger audience for the genres involved in the "rest of the world," and most bands to grace the stage hail from overseas, one would expect the bands over there know of ProgPower. Nevertheless, the entire event and it's history are barely a footnote in the US. Most people in Atlanta have never heard of it heard of it.

Differs from country to country dude... It has nothing to do with what "should" or "shouldn't" be. And yeah I could count the number of people on my hand that had heard of Volbeat prior to Glenn's announcement....In the *US*, but Volbeat had been doing much touring in Germany, Denmark and a bunch others and had become a household name in those countries at the time. Once again, the US is not the center of the universe... lol

I'm not dissagreeing that they aren't bigger overseas than they are here, I am disagreeing that Volbeat is bigger than most of the bands that have played ProgPower in the past. Your initial example was that they opened for Metallica, my initial posting to you was just because they opened for Metallica in their homeland, doesn't mean they are bigger than most of the bands that have played ProgPower in the past. I'm sure a Metallica/Primal Fear billing in Germany would be a lot bigger than a Metallica/Volbeat billing in Germany. Volbeat is a very good band w/ a lot of potential, I'm only saying they aren't as big as I believe you think they are. That's all.

The fact of the matter is that if every band to ever play ProgPower USA, we the fans, the festival itself, and the promotor were vaporized in a fiery explosion it would go completely unnoticed in the mainstream US music scene.

Don't give Glenn any new promotional ideas!

I'm not dissagreeing that they aren't bigger overseas than they are here, I am disagreeing that Volbeat is bigger than most of the bands that have played ProgPower in the past. Your initial example was that they opened for Metallica, my initial posting to you was just because they opened for Metallica in their homeland, doesn't mean they are bigger than most of the bands that have played ProgPower in the past. I'm sure a Metallica/Primal Fear billing in Germany would be a lot bigger than a Metallica/Volbeat billing in Germany. Volbeat is a very good band w/ a lot of potential, I'm only saying they aren't as big as I believe you think they are. That's all.

No you keep missing the point and it's turning into a back and fourth gauntlet which I will cease to continue. My advice is to do a little research.

Man Glenn - you are having a worse 2008 than me - and that takes some doing. Sorry to hear you got screwed over on this one. Volbeat was among the top 3 in the bands I wanted to see - and was really looking forward to seeing them really surprise a lot of folks who hadn't seen them or heard them before.

That said - I find it hard to believe that they are THAT big. Known? Popular in some other countries yet. On the verge of breaking into the mainstream - quite possibly. If they do, good for them. It's a cut throat business - I reckon they (and their handlers) see it much like a professional athlete views his career - possibly ending at any second - but the potential for $$$ is there so you do whatever you have to do to get it when you can get it.

I will try to give the band the benefit of the doubt on this one - and see exactly who/where they are on this big euro tour. LIke someone else pointed out - if they are not headlining then they probably have no say in the scheduling etc.

Hey Claus - question. When you say "stadiums" - I think outdoor sporting stadiums like the Stones, U2, etc play - 60,000-70,000 seats. I am guessing that you are meaning that they are going from clubs to possibly up to a basketball arena?5000 - 10,000 seaters? Up to 20,000? Just wondering because I know there is a lsight disparity in what it takes to go platinum around the world. Here its 1 million sold - whereas I think in England it's 60,000 so I'm trying to gauge how big they are now and how big they think they could be after this tour. Opening for a particular band does nothing to impress me - I've seen too many shows where the opener was especially selected to suck and make the headliner look better (Hi Van Halen in the Roth years - I'm looking at you).

Just curious, bummed out and trying to keep a positive outlook about the band - but stuff like this pisses me off and I am just a fan of their music - I didn't invest my time, money and tie part of my promotion to them like Glenn did. Man it's gonna be hard - I have been jamming the heck outta the band and trying to turn other people on to them. That will go into a holding pattern until everything is known - coz in all honesty if you're word isn't worth shit - then as far as I'm concerned the person(s) isn't worth shit.

Hope everything works out for Glenn/the Fest (this I know to be as close to a safe bet as there is - Glenn hasn't let me down yet) - maybe things will work out for the band as well - they'll put out a great new album - be "special guests" on a big tour over there and people here will get over any lingering feelings of distrust - of course, it could all go pearshaped in a hurry.

As for the whole "costs too much to come over and play progpower - I am under the impression that these bands are compensated for playing - and that things like travel & hotel are all part of the package. If this is incorrect - someone set me straight - but I sure wouldn't want to see someone using that lame cop out as a reason for not appearing at the fest. Sure - they may be able to make MORE money traveling less distance - but as far as I know - playing at PPUSA is not a money losing proposition.

Thank God JOP is from Florida :)
Jeff
Proud Sponsor of Jon Oliva's Pain at ProgPowerUSA

I agree this won't hurt their chances. However, I just don't see Volbeat becoming big over here... and I like Volbeat.

Let's face it, the number one driving force in the U.S. music scene is American Idol, which is nothing more than glorified karaoke. When is the last time this country embraced any band that displayed the slightest bit of originality?

Zod

There are no new Rock/Metal acts out there. Period. The only people making money in the music business over here are the ones who can pour shit down your throat and call it champagne.

I bought Sirius last year, got rid of it last month, and went back to regular radio. Guess what? The exact same songs are in rotation today that were in rotation when I dropped terrestrial radio.
Sigh.

Glenn: I will thank you here, for giving me the opportunity to at least buy albums and listen to two groups that I never would have heard otherwise. I will wait for Volbeat. I will hope that Serenity can make it back here.

I have and it's only proven that you couldn't be any more wrong.

Not really, because I said that the exception to my claim was some of the older, name-brand metal bands and obviously Primal Fear falls into that category. Pagan's Mind, Raintime, Vanden Plas, Freak Kitchen, Mercenary , Epica, After Forever, Communic, Jon Oliva's Pain, Circle II Circle, etc etc etc (I can keep going but It's pointless) have not and most likely never will see the worldwide numbers that Volbeat sells. In fact, pretty much EVERY PP band (even the veteran bands) didn't sell as much in 2 albums as Volbeat has worldwide. The only thing some of these bands have on Volbeat is age, and in a huge chunk of case, Volbeat is still superior in terms of sales and popularity. I never said that they are on the level of My Chemical Romance right now, but they are definitely bigger than most of the bands that play Progpower. Now I really am done with you. I really hope you don't prove your ignorance and tell me that I'm wrong when I actually know what I'm talking about.

Not really, because I said that the exception to my claim was some of the older, name-brand metal bands and obviously Primal Fear falls into that category. Pagan's Mind, Raintime, Vanden Plas, Freak Kitchen, Mercenary , Epica, After Forever, Communic, Jon Oliva's Pain, Circle II Circle, etc etc etc (I can keep going but It's pointless) have not and most likely never will see the worldwide numbers that Volbeat sells. In fact, pretty much EVERY PP band (even the veteran bands) didn't sell as much in 2 albums as Volbeat has worldwide. The only thing some of these bands have on Volbeat is age, and in a huge chunk of case, Volbeat is still superior in terms of sales and popularity. I never said that they are on the level of My Chemical Romance right now, but they are definitely bigger than most of the bands that play Progpower. Now I really am done with you. I really hope you don't prove your ignorance and tell me that I'm wrong when I actually know what I'm talking about.

Yeah, you must know what your talking about. You've filled your replies with nothing but factual data. Yeah, you're not ignorant. :lol:

Let's face it, the number one driving force in the U.S. music scene is American Idol, which is nothing more than glorified karaoke. When is the last time this country embraced any band that displayed the slightest bit of originality?

Zod

The 70s? :lol:

As far as bands with originality that have enjoyed success recently: Tool, System of a Down, Mars Volta....there's plenty more. But if Serj Tankian somehow fooled his way into the top 12 of American Idol, just how much do you think the 12-year-olds and the grandmothers (and, face it, 98% of people your age) would embrace him?

You do have a point, but the bands today doing something new only make up a modest, at best, fraction of what is currently popular.