Volbeat Cancel, Promoter devastated....

I am more upset with this cancellation than I have ever been in my history as a festival promoter. Volbeat was the number one band I was looking forward to seeing this year. I know that many fans were just as excited as I was. I deeply apologize about the situation. This business sucks sometimes.

That sucks so hard it blows! I guess there are truly some times you are the dog and there are other times when you are the hydrant! :erk:

I was also really looking forward to checking out Volbeat, especially as I did not even know who they were before that announcement at the end of last year's festival. Still really bummed about Serenity having to bail as well (as that was one band I was really looking forward to seeing!)

I honestly don't know if I'd have the patience to put up with some the crap you obviously do to put this gig together (and I am a friggan software engineer by trade!). My hat is definitely off to you!

I hope you do find a worthy replacement (and I have a feeling you will - hell, Saint Deamon has me pretty much psyched!). I'll have to admit, I also second the Slough Feg recommendation as well.

Keep up the awesome work. I've been to three of these so far and have enjoyed every one of them. Regardless of what happens here, I am still going to be coming to this one and looking forward to it!

(I finally get here, five pages into the thread.... :oops:)

Damn, Glenn. To pretty much repeat what everyone else has said, this truly sucks. I really liked what I heard from Volbeat and was looking forward to them....and looking forward to John C. going crazy in the photo pit. :)

And of course, major kudos for your honesty. It's what separates you from soo many people in 'the biz' out there...and a big part of what makes PP the finest indoor metal festival in the world.

You don't know Glenn. There isn't a promoter on this planet you can trust more.

+ 1000

I wasn't complaining because I didn't give a rats ass about Scar Symmetry.
Sucks for the UK fest, but nope, couldn't care less...

Not only are you in the vaaaaast minority in that situation, but you missed my point entirely.

Mom will ground him from the computer soon enough. And it's quite interesting when all his posts read: "You don't know what your talking about LOL OMG!" "Do your research! LOLZ111!!" Still comes off as a mouthy punk who seldom adds anything to a conversation, more of a repeating parrot. Could you be more redundant ATB? :Smug:

wow, ouch. It appears that in my short time here I have a few "fans". Honestly it would be awesome if you just read what I said and not took everything so negatively. Just because I'm not a yes man with a log shoved up my ass doesn't mean I'm a troll, nor does it mean I'm a kid either (wonder where ya got that one from). You don't know me, I don't know you. How about we not pass judgements huh? I could just as easily whip out some e-insults at you too but you don't see me doin' that.

From what I heard, they were supposed to do a support tour in the States (I'm not gonna reveal the band they were supposed to open for... for obvious reasons), but they turned it down because of the buy-on (coupled with the other costs that come with touring such as accommodation, food, nightliner, gas...etc) being too high .It makes sense. If you're a band as big as Volbeat, you should be making money on tour, not having to spend it.

Oh and HELL YES for Meshuggah! Though... Meshuggah could probably headline PP :lol:.

It's funny how spoiled you guys (well, me too :D) are. Were any of you complaining when Scar Symmetry cancelled PPUK to do the Dark Tranquillty tour in the US? Nah... I doubt it :lol:.

So Volbeat didn't figure they could have sold enough T-shirts on that tour to cover all those touring expenses you listed above?

Man alive this stinks!
Life does that sometimes....
Sheesh, my disappointment even gets me to post one of my whopping eight posts a year! LOL! I guess just to add another name to list of saddened Americans so those responsible can get a sense for what they are potentially giving up by not coming.
What's even funnier is that I just bought the import of Rock The Rebel / Metal The Devil about, oh, 10 minutes ago. Had to do that through ebay and now I'm in a CD buying mood and using up a few gift cards so I came here to check out the news of any new releases or new bands I haven't heard of yet and see this news.
My timing, as always, is impeccable!
Oh well, I'll bet Glenn finds a way to surprise us all and find a great replacement. I have faith.
Cheers,
Xian

wow, ouch. It appears that in my short time here I have a few "fans". Honestly it would be awesome if you just read what I said and not took everything so negatively. Just because I'm not a yes man with a log shoved up my ass doesn't mean I'm a troll, nor does it mean I'm a kid either (wonder where ya got that one from). You don't know me, I don't know you. How about we not pass judgements huh? I could just as easily whip out some e-insults at you too but you don't see me doin' that.

I did read what you posted, and most of it (in this thread) was just regurgitated points from other posts, with little original input. This is one of the very few posts that wasn't filled with lulz & omg. Keep up the good work.

And if you're insinuating that I'm a "yesman with a log shoved up my ass"
then we WILL have problems. Since this thread is about the Volbeat cancellation, I'll end this discussion with you and have this thread hopefully drift back on topic.

What a band like KING DIAMOND instead of Volbeat, ok nt the same genre but KING DIAMOND is a great live act. Just an oppinion.
That would be awesome ... I'm a big fan, but the last I heard the King is still having a lot of back issues. He's already had to cancel both his US and Europe tours that were planned for this year.

Britt

So out of curiosity....why wouldn't VB have taken this opportunity to break into North America - after all, it's only a weekend, 6 months out - and just started their other tour a week later? After all, Glenn is paying them, and covering their expenses. I don't get it. To me it doesn't really look like an either/or situation. If they're that big in Europe you would think they (or their management) could pretty much do whatever they wanted, especially with that amount of lead time.

jeez... i just read all the posts on this... some of it is too silly to respond to.

in promoting ANY fest, shit happens. i wanted to see volbeat, a lot of people wanted to see volbeat, glenn wanted to see volbeat.

glenn got the fuzzy end of the lollipop on this one, but by this time he knows the vagueries of this biz, and will come up with plan b.
will plan b make everyone happy? no.
does the complete lineup EVER make everyone happy? no

so all we have to do is show up, let glenn do the dirty work, and all the bitching and moaning is just so much white noise.

oh, and to all us citizens of whoville.... mitchgx is correct....we are indeed just a speck in the great music world. why some of us think we are more than that, astounds me.

jeez... i just read all the posts on this... some of it is too silly to respond to.

in promoting ANY fest, shit happens. i wanted to see volbeat, a lot of people wanted to see volbeat, glenn wanted to see volbeat.

glenn got the fuzzy end of the lollipop on this one, but by this time he knows the vagueries of this biz, and will come up with plan b.
will plan b make everyone happy? no.
does the complete lineup EVER make everyone happy? no

so all we have to do is show up, let glenn do the dirty work, and all the bitching and moaning is just so much white noise.

I'm pretty sure that no one is blaming Glenn here. Or bitching about the lineup. So I don't really understand the relivance of your post at all. Some of us, myself included, had blamed Volbeat for being douchebags, but apparently this situation was a clusterfuck they had no control over. So with four or five other groups involved, none of which would be the promoter or the festival, bitching has been divided pretty evenly between them.

The thread, on the other hand, has been nothing but sympathy (or empathy depending) for the difficult job he has to do.

you are missing my point....
i know nobody is blaming glenn....
i am referring to the "down with volbeat... they will be missing out on the greatest show on earth that will help them in the US market", "i am not gonna buy their albums", "i wish i hadnt bought their albums" and "poor glenn, i hope he doesnt get fed up with this stuff"

my point is, glenn knows about how this stuff goes, will do what he has to do, and knew the pain-in-the-ass aspects of this job when he started. sometimes it is more of a pain and disappointment than other times, but meanwhile, our getting down on volbeat and sympathizing with glenn gets nobody anywhere.... he will do what he has to do... i am sorry he was disappointed, but it isnt the first time, and it won't be the last... he knows that better than the hand-wringers.

we are lucky.... like i said, we just have to show up.

Yes, I did. And I still say they set themselves back a few years.

Fair enough. I just think it's completely ridiculous to think that not playing one festival for a niche genre that Volbeat doesn't even belong to in a market that they have barely even started to approach is going to set them back. They've lost an opportunity to jump-start the career here, but it isn't going to completely devastate their chances.

you are missing my point....
i know nobody is blaming glenn....
i am referring to the "down with volbeat... they will be missing out on the greatest show on earth that will help them in the US market", "i am not gonna buy their albums", "i wish i hadnt bought their albums" and "poor glenn, i hope he doesnt get fed up with this stuff"

we are lucky.... like i said, we just have to show up.

Ahh, I see. In that case, I would agree with you despite my earlier statements, if indeed the band had no hand in the downfall of this gig. I still find that hard to believe though.

Fair enough. I just think it's completely ridiculous to think that not playing one festival for a niche genre that Volbeat doesn't even belong to in a market that they have barely even started to approach is going to set them back. They've lost an opportunity to jump-start the career here, but it isn't going to completely devastate their chances.

If it was a small-time unknown promoter, I would agree with you 100%. If it were Jack Koshick, I would have laughed at my own statement. They screwed over one of metal promotions biggest, and one of the most respected, gunslingers. I know there are promoters who might take a chance, but they will see this and ask "why should I?"

I would suggest Dendura! Female fronted prog metal band with an Egyptian theme and live belly dancing. I have heard them live, on Comedy Central, award winning films and they are a best seller at Sonic Cathedral, they are in the MTV2 On the Rise contest, along with so many other things. So I would think a band on the rise, like they obviously are, would be a great pick!

One word "KARMA". While we will never know the inside details, someone knows that they played dirty and things always have a way of evening out in the end. In the meantime Volbeat can reap the rewards of all the free promo they received for the U.S. and Glenn will take the short end of the stick he has been handed and wave his magic wand and come up with something even better :)