What are your favourite live albums ?

Alice in chains - Unplugged
Sarah Mclachlan - Afterglow
Opeth - Lamentations
Metallica - Live shit binge and purge

......thats i for now......by the way who here has teh biggest musical DVD colllection.....!!!!...i heva lik 20....i know thats not even close to what some music fanatics have...ahahah...!!!...PEAC EOUT

Probably Coma Divine by Porcupine Tree, despite the fact that the original pressing of it was broken (it is so long that my CD player couldn't read the last track properly). I'm not normally a fan of live albums, but what I like about this album is that a lot of their studio stuff really comes alive when played live. Especially the bits from the albums when Steven still used a drum machine instead of a live drummer.

Off the top of my head the only other live album I own is Live After Death, which is really good too.

Iron Maiden - Live After Death
Candlemass - Live (although it's weird to hear M.M. talking in english in his homeland)
Dream Theater - Scenes From NY

Another favourite is Iron Maiden - A Real Live One, but mostly because I'm actually in the audience screaming my head off on Afraid To Shoot Strangers. That was a GREAT show. :) Too bad they didn't release the whole Stockholm gig on CD, but only took one song from each show on the tour or whatever.

allman bros fillmore east

you win...

unlike many people here, I live for the live albums. especially from bands that actually change up their song from show to show...

anything by Phish and Gov't Mule... especially "It" and "The Deepest End" are the best live dvd/cd's money can buy...

anything by the Grateful Dead us also deserving of mention. I;ve been listening to Europe '72 a lot...

so basically, jam bands rule live music

so basically, jam bands rule live music

I think you're probably right. I get annoyed when the live version is the same as the album version except for maybe a looser performance, shoddier production, and crowd noise. I used to go to see Phish a lot around '91-'97 or so, and it was always worth it, musically, because you never knew what they were going to do (not sure they did, either, aside from a basic setlist). No show was the same by a long shot. I had to stop going, though, because I was pretty much the oldest and soberest person there. Got sick of seeing the Trustafarians begging for shit outside the show and then hopping into their beemers. Very odd scene.

Live jazz is great, too.

Maceo Parker - Life on Planet Groove
Miles Davis - Live at the Fillmore East

Iced Earth - Alive in Athens
Bill Evans - Sunday at the Village Vanguard

thats really the only ones I have. but they own extremely hard.

I'm actually a fan of live albums. Some of my favourites:

Metallica - S&M, Live Shit
Dream Theater - Live Scenes
Dave Matthews - Weekend On The Rocks, Unplugged with Tim Reynolds
Iced Earth - Alive In Athens
Tom Waits - Nighthawks At The Diner
Pink Floyd - PULSE
Evergrey - A Night To Remember
Maiden - Rio
Porcupine Tree - Coma Divine, Warzawa

The Dark Tranquillity live album was actually a bit of a let down, since Stanne wasnt on his best performance and the crowd sucked. I hated the Death Live In LA's sound, so I'm not a fan of that one. And of course, the In Flames live album is probably the only live album I refused to listen to more than once.