spacestation '76film
Apr 11, 2004
hell
YOUR Top Ten Live Albums

* Print
* Normal font
* Large font

live-big%20%28Custom%29.gif

Never short for an opinion passionately held, the Noise Pollution commenters agreed with most of mine but had a few of their own.

t was only after I compiled my Top Ten that I realised that the majority of them were from the 70s. And so were a lot of yours. As a person who spends most of his time listening to now rather than then, it made me wonder whether the nature of live performance has changed since then or whether recording techniques have simply become intrinsically less live. Digital silence has a different quality than acoustic silence. Certainly Daft Punk's latest, Underworld and The Orb's live albums prove that electronica live can be incredibly powerful and dynamic, rap is really the only modern genre that so far hasn't produced a great live album.

There was certainly some debate as to what actually denotes a true live album, overdubs and post-production are common place, aside from those albums as raw as Metallic KO or Velvet Underground Live At Max's Kansas City that are an out of focus black and white audio photo of a particular night, not necessarily a good one, there are many "live" albums that are tweaked in such a way that none of us has noticed or cared. A synthetic live.

So here's a rough guide as to which albums got your multiple thumbs up.

418S0AS2T0L%20%28Custom%29.jpg

The Who / Live At Leeds 1970
Certainly the album that was most nominated by far, an album that has been released in three different formats and is perhaps proof that in their prime they were the first punk band, although the heavy can sometimes become leaden.

thin-lizzy%20%28Custom%29.jpg

Thin Lizzy / Live And Dangerous 1978
Surprisingly popular, it is better than all of their studio albums put together and stands the test of time by dent of Phil's personality.

And then there were:

DP_LiveInJapan1%20%28Custom%29.jpg

Deep Purple / Made In Japan 1972
A music that they invented in the English Midlands takes on the world.

1419352%20%28Custom%29.jpg

The Allman Brothers Band / Live At The Fillmore East 1971
It sounds so denim.

Tom_Petty_-_Pack_up_the_Plantation_Live%21%20%28Custom%29.jpg

Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers / Pack Up The Plantation 1986
The audience is as much part of the sound of the record as the band. Singalong!

517496J6FXL%20%28Custom%29.jpg

Led Zeppelin / How The West Was Won 1972
The pomp for the circumstances.

1412095%20%28Custom%29.jpg

Pink Floyd / Pulse 1995
Has it stopped blinking yet?

200px-Stop_Making_Sense%20%28Custom%29.jpg

Talking Heads / Stop Making Sense 1984
Chris' drums were replaced by electronics on the first version and restored for the re-issue.

200px-CheapTrick_Live_atBudokan%20%28Custom%29.jpg

Cheap Trick / Live At Budokan 1979
The shrill sound of thousands of screaming Japanese girls.

if_you_want%20%28Custom%29.jpg

AC/DC / If You Want Blood You've Got It 1978
I bet your neighbours love you!

Australian live albums mentioned affectionately included:

You Am I / Saturday Night 'Round Ten'
Midnight Oil / Scream In Blue
Chris Wilson / Live At The Continental
Paul Kelly / Live At The Continental

And without a trace of irony we also had nominations for:

B000026E0J.02._SCLZZZZZZZ_%20%28Custom%29.jpg
What is he doing?!?!

Frampton.comes.alive%20%28Custom%29.jpg

Yessongs%20%28Custom%29.jpg
Sorry, I dozed off!

So, a pretty old and rockist list.
Certainly the current global live performance boom may indicate that there is an audience for a live document of what they paid to see and hear that will perhaps mean the renaissance of the live album, although the DVD format bringing the sights and sounds in surround sound has probably made them sadly redundant.

1. Iced Earth - Alive In Athens
2. Iron Maiden - Live After Death
3. Halford - Live Insurrection
4. Iron Maiden - Rock In Rio
5. Dream Theater - Master of Puppets (Official Bootleg)
6. Metallica - S&M
7. Megadeth - Rude Awakening
8. Gamma Ray - Alive '95
9. Gamma Ray - Skeletons In The Closet
10. Kreator - Live Kreation

I was at the show and it was horrible. Labrie was reading the lyrics off a teleprompter and sucked horrible. Ruddess was reading sheet music because i don't think he's listened to the album ever. And everyone else just played the album like it sounds originally, nothing special.

Live at the Marquee is a better recording than this.

doesn't Ruddess typically read the music anyway? He has that niftynifty automatic music reader thing on his keyboard

I don't listen to many live albums due to the fact that there are often overdubs and that pisses me off.

I've enjoyed Live in LA, just about everything that was in Live Shit. other than that, there aren't any that stood out

if I want to hear exactly how it sounds on the CD, i'll listen to the cd. If I want to hear awesome performances with studio overdubs, i'll listen to the cd. I want mistakes! I WANT FUCKUPS!

I agree, I haven't listened to a live album in years because of that. Also I think Christy ruins Live in LA with his sloppy playing.

My favorite live album of all time is Sam Cooke - Live at the Harlem Square Club 1963

This is just off the top of my head and in no particular order:

Judas Priest - Unleashed in the East
Iron Maiden - Beast Over Hammersmith
King Diamond - Deadly Lullabyes
Blind Guardian - Live
Porcupine Tree - Warsawa
Kreator - Live Kreation
Grave Digger - 25 to Live
Halford - Live Insurrection
Sodom - One Night in Bangkok
Pain of Salvation - 12:5

nah i dont listen to live albums either... you dont get the experience there was at the concert so...

sometimes i watch live dvd's, or if i want live i wait for a concert to come near

yanni.jpg

and he's quite the stud too.