Why does Metal Blade the label suck so bad?

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
booB's post in the other thread had me thinking. I've known him for like 6 years now and remember way back, when the Savatage boards were still up and running, he used to call them Metal Suck for reasons I can't remember.

Now I'm not a fan of the label either, even though they have had some killer bands on their roster. I kinda hate the fact that Jim Matheos won't just leave these fuckers behind to sign for Inside Out or some other decent label that'd give the one of greatest prog bands a decent promo.

Anyway, that said, I still need to be filled in on why MB really sucks so bad. It just occured to me, all these years I've never asked booB or you guys but keep reading about it. Do they screw their bands over? Do they screw over the customers? Are they just a pathetic bunch of losers here to cash in on the money when they can? Or are they actually wrongly judged and doing a fairly good job?

Go ahead and tell me.

I don't think that's the case, their highest selling band isn't even a "metal" band. It's the Goo Goo Dolls. Yes, you read that right. With the exception of a few shining stars, Metal Blade has usually been a label that takes chances on bands or something new & extreme (Goo Goo Dolls notwithstanding). If it weren't for Metal Blade, we wouldn't have a lot of the bands we love today.

If you're interested and got the extra bucks, pick up the Metal Blade box set. The booklet inside is almost like a history of metal. It's a great read and a great box set covering the label's entire career.

It's funny how most people don't even remember (but probably don't care about) the Goo Goo Dolls being on Metal Blade. Metal Blade is like any record label, they are going to sign and push the bands that are popular. Their main interest is metalcore currently, with a slew of terrible bands being marketed on metal tours. Give or take for the most part it is a decent label, and have had some great bands on their roster over the years. A good amount of metal bands had their start with Metal Blade. And at least they sign bands on the bandwagon, instead of making their roster change their sounds for the times (Roadrunner). Not too bad for a label that made their name with Gwar and Cannibal Corpse.

1. Metal Blade's marketing sucks
2. Metal Blade picks bands that have nothing to offer in most cases in terms of song arrangement and quality
3. I hear their contracts suck for the bands

I remember at metalfest back around 1998-2000 when In Extremo played in NJ. It was their first appearance in the USA and most people had never heard of them. In Extremo proceeded to rock the damn place down and everyone wanted to check them out. Metal Blade had no cds. They had no pictures. They had no shirts. In Extremo had to stand at the table and just look at people because there was no support for them. They could have moved about 50 cds that night, but instead, they moved 0. Not long after, In Extremo was gone for the label and we lose the chance to get their stuff now in the USA. I wrote a detailed and extensive hate letter to Metal Blade and they didn't even have the decency to defend themselves in a response.

Today, They have Amon Amarth, Falconer, and some other good ones signed, but again, where is the press? The Amon video I saw looked cheap as dirt. Falconer is unknown. The bullshit continues. I, for one, hate that label.

BlackenedDawn said:
And at least they sign bands on the bandwagon, instead of making their roster change their sounds for the times (Roadrunner). Not too bad for a label that made their name with Gwar and Cannibal Corpse.

Have to disagree on this last part, they've had some great bands prior to CC and GWAH.

How about... umm Slayer for one? hehehe I'm not being rude, but that's a big one to overlook. Here's som others;

Armored Saint, Lizzy Borden, Fates Warning, Trouble, Flotsam & Jetsam, Candlemass, Helstar, Sacred Reich, Mercyful Fate, King Diamond, Riot, Spock's Beard, BRAINSTORM, Galactic Cowboys.

Those are just some that I've seen people mention here on this forum.

Creeps said:
Here's som others;

Armored Saint, Lizzy Borden, Fates Warning, Trouble, Flotsam & Jetsam, Candlemass, Helstar, Sacred Reich, Mercyful Fate, King Diamond, Riot, Spock's Beard, BRAINSTORM, Galactic Cowboys.

Those are just some that I've seen people mention here on this forum.

Yea, sure, WE all know them, but you name all those bands to ANYONE, and you're gonna get 1/10 that recognize ANY of those names. In the grand scheme of things, these bands have done NOTHING in America. That REALLY is a bad example for your thesis. Sure they have a small underground following, but selling a few thousand copies in such a large country really isn't saying much.

And why WOULDN'T labels push bands that are popular? Thats how labels make their money to put bands out on tour. Sure labels are greedy, but realize its a business, and they have to maintain operations.

Like any other label, Metal Blade finds a current trend, picks up every band they can find that caters to said trend (which, in their case, is mainly third-tier bands), and then leaves it up to those bands to promote themselves. Of course, they offer tour support to those bands who have managed to stay on their roster for over a decade, or should I say those bands who have had the most sales over the past decade. How could they not put Fates Warning, a band that has been signed with them from the start of their career some 22 years ago, on a tour for their latest album? Perhaps Matheos is being a whiny bitch, but I'm sure he'd go out and play if there was a decent offer. I understand that Metal Blade doesn't have nearly as much money as Atlantic, but I think they've established themselves well enough over the years to put out a little more effort towards promoting their bands. If you think about it, only three bands (four if Symphony X was still signed to Metal Blade for the first ProgPower) from the entire label have ever played this fest, and I sincerely doubt that Metal Blade did anything to help them get to the show. 'Tis a shame.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

Yngvai X said:
Symphony X got royally screwed by them. They offered no promotion or tour support for the band when V came out. SymX had to book and pay for all the US shows in support of V themselves.

ill totally buy that!!! when i saw SX on the V tour they were breaking down their own equipment onstage. unacceptable for a band of their calibur.

Metal Blade is well known for shafting a lot of their smaller bands, both financially and through marketing. They only support the bands on their roster which are ALREADY the highest selling. And, up until recently, they were refusing to sponsor any of their bands for a lot of US metal festivals. I can't remember all of the details, but one of the somewhat "big" fests here in the US either was trying to get a Metal Blade band, or actually had one -- and Metal Blade either refused to send them, or they came, but MB refused to sponsor the appearance and they came using their own money.

It's stories like this, plus the myriad of band members I've talked to that say they've been screwed my MB out of royalties and such, that make me hate them. Plus, I know more about the metal scene than Brian Slagel. He's out of touch, he doesn't know what's going on, and I suspect he doesn't really even like metal at all.

They're like Century Media, but on a more extreme level, and they don't do nearly as much for the distribution of metal in general.

EDIT: I meant to say, they're like MAGNA CARTA, but on a more extreme level. Not CM.

booB said:
They're like Century Media, but on a more extreme level, and they don't do nearly as much for the distribution of metal in general.

WhileI agree with your Metal Blade assessment, I have to disagree strongly on the Century Media comparison. Yes, CM is a label and the bottom line is to make money. However, they have been nothing but great when I deal with them on all levels. They support their artist to a reasonable extent and really go the extra mile for me at times in terms of goodwill and behind the scenes politics.

It's a shame they are gravitating towards the trendy stuff, but that is what sells. I look at their roster now and I really don't have much to chose from currently. It was different just a few years ago.

Glenn H.

Century Media have a decent number of good bands (not speaking prog/power here), but this year they've done an absolute shit job of putting together good metal tour lineups. I've been to two Century Media tours this year, and both of them I arrived late (or wanted to) and only had interest in seeing the headlining band. There is a certain thing called "putting bands that are actually RELATED TO EACH OTHER SOMEWHAT on tours together." Cryptopsy with The Autumn Offering when Dan Mongrain is Cryptopsy's session touring man? I don't think so. :yuk:

oh shit! I meant Magna Carta (or, as I like to call them, Magna Farta), not CM. Apologies to any CM execs who might be reading this; I'd hate to compare them to MB. ;) The comment I made about distribution applies to CM, though. I must have gotten really confused there for a minute.

CM regularly sends their bands on tour both here and in Europe, and ALWAYS sponsors a band or two for festivals. Their contracts might not always be the greatest, but then, a lot of bands who have label contracts would do better on their own, IMO.

urinalcakemix said:
Yea, sure, WE all know them, but you name all those bands to ANYONE, and you're gonna get 1/10 that recognize ANY of those names. In the grand scheme of things, these bands have done NOTHING in America. That REALLY is a bad example for your thesis. Sure they have a small underground following, but selling a few thousand copies in such a large country really isn't saying much.

And why WOULDN'T labels push bands that are popular? Thats how labels make their money to put bands out on tour. Sure labels are greedy, but realize its a business, and they have to maintain operations.

You can't sit there and tell me that Slayer has done nothing in the states can you? C'mon. Slayer has successful tours, sure they're not selling out arenas, but everytime they play Tampa/Orlando they're to packed houses. Not to mention the sheer influence of Slayer hundreds of bands. After that statement I suppose mentioning King's X & King Diamond wouldn't do me any good either (note sarcasm).

Business is business though. You can't not promote your best selling artists who pay the bills for you. If you didn't, your bills would never get paid. If you're running a label you can't put all your eggs in one basket when it comes to marketing a new band. The internet and word of mouth sells more metal albums than any poster in some corporate music store.

Remember these labels are budgeting for their entire signed roster when it comes to touring & promotions. Some bands will have more perks than others and that will always happen.

Sometimes you have to take a risk. Most times you gotta make payroll and overhead.

booB said:
oh shit! I meant Magna Carta (or, as I like to call them, Magna Farta), not CM. Apologies to any CM execs who might be reading this; I'd hate to compare them to MB. ;) The comment I made about distribution applies to CM, though. I must have gotten really confused there for a minute.

CM regularly sends their bands on tour both here and in Europe, and ALWAYS sponsors a band or two for festivals. Their contracts might not always be the greatest, but then, a lot of bands who have label contracts would do better on their own, IMO.

I've heard lots of bad stuff about Magna Carta alot, I know they have shit promotion and the distribution is lame but could you give me some more insight on it?

For one example......Magna Carta just released 'The Essential Mike Portnoy' or something as a compilation, with songs from what he's done on Magna Carta. Mike was not consulted an any way, and he found out about it like the day before the release through people talking about it on his forum or something.

Barking Pumpkin said:
For one example......Magna Carta just released 'The Essential Mike Portnoy' or something as a compilation, with songs from what he's done on Magna Carta. Mike was not consulted an any way, and he found out about it like the day before the release through people talking about it on his forum or something.

That is the case with alot of record companies, in the case of bigger bands. Can you imagine how many Deep Purple best of's there are that they are unaware of.

I was just looking at Metal Blade's roster. Looks to me like some killer artists call Metal Blade home. I have no idea what sort of contracts they offer bands, or what kind of tour support is available, but it looks like they're doing a pretty good job of putting out quality music:

Amon Amarth
Beyond the Embrace
Brainstorm
Cradle of Filth
The Crown
Falconer
Fates Warning
God Dethroned
King Diamond
King's X
Lamb of God
Primordial