Why does the media ignore power metal in the States?

Okay, so I came up with the most awesome idea to get power and prog metal more of the attention it deserves... Get ready.... Guitar Hero: Progpower! Just think of the awesomeness! It could include everything from 70s prog all the way up to modern prog and power metal! Or at least get a Progpower set on a future game. THAT would be cool as Hell!

Okay, so I came up with the most awesome idea to get power and prog metal more of the attention it deserves... Get ready.... Guitar Hero: Progpower! Just think of the awesomeness! It could include everything from 70s prog all the way up to modern prog and power metal! Or at least get a Progpower set on a future game. THAT would be cool as Hell!

No doubt,I'd buy it.

How about we just show the kids the music and teach them to play the actual instruments on these cool Prog and Power songs? :lol:

It should be said that while I don't like what the over-saturation of glam did to metal, I love many glam bands. Dokken, Skid Row, Def Leppard, White Lion, Steelheart, etc. were all great bands who wrote great songs. I just think that they started to see their music as a formula rather than an art form and began releasing crap just to fit with their image. However, Skid Row tried to evolve with the times on their Subhuman Race album, which in my opinion is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY underrated. There are some really, really good songs on that album. But you could see their metamorphosis. Slave to the Grind really wasn't glam insofar as it was just ass-kicking metal. I still get excited when I hear Monkey Business, whereas anything on their first album I could take or leave. It was cool when I was 10, but I swear if I have to hear Youth Gone Wild one more time I'm gonna start punching walls.

To each his own I guess. I just found that whole movement way too blah I guess. I didn't like really any of the vocalists. They may have had talent but like you said, they were formulaic. Skid Row on the other hand, at least from what I've heard are not glam to me. Them and Guns 'N' Roses just don't seem to fit that category. They're not as irritating to listen to and actually have balls. :lol:

To each his own I guess. I just found that whole movement way too blah I guess. I didn't like really any of the vocalists. They may have had talent but like you said, they were formulaic. Skid Row on the other hand, at least from what I've heard are not glam to me. Them and Guns 'N' Roses just don't seem to fit that category. They're not as irritating to listen to and actually have balls. :lol:

Axl Rose sounds like a pissed off screeching rat to me.Sebastian Bach IMO is one of the best Hard Rock vocalists of all time.There again though,I know people who think the opposite.Oh well,if we all thought the same,it would be a boring world.

What killed 80's metal was the constant effort to reach the top of the charts, rather than make good music. Look at Warrant, they wanted to release am album entitled "Uncle Tom's Cabin". Well, the label said, "There is no ballad on it. Go make one." So, they made "Cherry Pie". Wellllll, the single was "Cherry Pie", the album was renamed "Cherry Pie", and that became Warrant's bane. Look at Michael Schenker. He was a GOD with UFO. Then, came up with his solo effort, then he tried to reach the top of the charts. It was a never ending cycle. Many great bands released power ballads just to reach stardom, burying the real hard stuff where people could not find. So, do you want to know why 80's metal died? It is because they threw their credibility away.

Now, do you want to know why power metal get the shitty end of the stick? Well, Summarizing from what Dusty from Katagory V said on the old Utah Metal site. "Are you a cover band that plays crappy versions of 80's music? You will draw a crowd. Are you a band that pretends to be angry on stage? You will draw a crowd. Do you scream on stage and jump around like a madman while banging on your instruments? You will have people going, "Man, that's cool, Dude!" However, do you have a guy that can actually sing? What??? Do you worry about time signatures? Time signatures?!? Are you nuts?!? You can actually play your instruments? Sorry, not interested."

Sorry for the rant.

What killed 80's metal was the constant effort to reach the top of the charts, rather than make good music. Look at Warrant, they wanted to release am album entitled "Uncle Tom's Cabin". Well, the label said, "There is no ballad on it. Go make one." So, they made "Cherry Pie". Wellllll, the single was "Cherry Pie", the album was renamed "Cherry Pie", and that became Warrant's bane. Look at Michael Schenker. He was a GOD with UFO. Then, came up with his solo effort, then he tried to reach the top of the charts. It was a never ending cycle. Many great bands released power ballads just to reach stardom, burying the real hard stuff where people could not find. So, do you want to know why 80's metal died? It is because they threw their credibility away.

Now, do you want to know why power metal get the shitty end of the stick? Well, Summarizing from what Dusty from Katagory V said on the old Utah Metal site. "Are you a cover band that plays crappy versions of 80's music? You will draw a crowd. Are you a band that pretends to be angry on stage? You will draw a crowd. Do you scream on stage and jump around like a madman while banging on your instruments? You will have people going, "Man, that's cool, Dude!" However, do you have a guy that can actually sing? What??? Do you worry about time signatures? Time signatures?!? Are you nuts?!? You can actually play your instruments? Sorry, not interested."

Sorry for the rant.

Sadly, this is pretty much true.

Yeah,

People rarely reward actually talent in the music industry.
The way I look at it is, if you are going to have someone fix the roof on your house...you want the best roofer you can get.
It's kind of the same way with acting. I pay money to watch actors do what they get paid to do, so I expect them to do their best.
The majority today are interested in big CGI, but in the past actors held a film together because there was no eye candy.
If you have a singer in a band, why wouldn't you want the best singer you could get?
No, I would rather the singer sound like an everyman you drag off the street...cuz he's just like me.
Then what are you paying them for?
It's a shame that Nickleback that plays arena rock can fill auditoriums and someone with talented musicians like Dream Theater can barely fill The Tabernacle.
What's with the double standard in quality. Do you want someone who doesn't know what they are doing to fix your car?
The majority just doesn't award talent and it's sad.
Or they are too afraid to think for themselves or worried what others will think about thier musical tastes. :p

mtaffer

Talent does not equal success in the music industry, and along those lines... the young kids aren't so much into power metal as they are other kinds of metal (nu-metal etc.), so that's where the money goes/is. And like Claus said, Europe is somewhat bigger for power metal, but not as much as many people think. We hear about the festivals over there, and assume that's the norm. Not so.