Would you still go to PP IX if...

I also think that "natural change" with people's taste are a definite factor to consider when reading various posts on this forum expressing disappointment, nothing exciting, attend because it's "family" instead of the music, etc. For example, there are always a handful of people that start off loving the normal type progressive & power metal bands. Over time, their taste changes and they tend to get tired of the sound. They move on to other styles either more challenging to their ears or just something "different." They quit following or searching out the newer bands in the prog/power scene that are out there because they just don't excite them. They rely on their comformtable shoes so to speak and that means "name" bands.

That said, they are a part of a community and maintain their status here for various reasons (including enjoying a prog/power band every now & then). However, they simply do not get "excited" about the same things they did 4-5 years ago. These are the ones that need to have certain things on their checklist marked off before they attend a festival. These are the veterans of past festivals and active posters on this forum.

The harsh reality is that I do not cater to them regardless of how vocal they are. I don't see the point as you are the hardest ticket to sell to because you aren't coming if you have to check out new bands of a genre you don't enjoy as much any longer. Thankfully, you are the vocal minority. Once ticket sales drop, then I will know you are the vocal majority. I must cater to the hardcore prog/power fan including younger ones that haven't really experienced what the scene has to offer to thrive in the future. To the younger audience, Sonata Arctica is a bonafied headliner. To the veterans around here, they are a "meh" headliner as you have already been listening to Stratovarius for years. You cannot be expected to make a trip across the country & spend a ton of cash when you won't even do that in your home town for these same type of bands any longer.

Everything about selecting a roster is walking a razor's edge. I have to pick established bands, elevate new stars, throw a few curves, and find new talent you don't know. The ratio of those selections will change every year. I do what I think is right for the long term success of the festival. Unfortunately, that means losing some of those that have supported me in the past.

I will be there regardless of who is playing. I don't go out and buy every album that comes out so i like knowing there are new bands to listen to and hopefully i click with. I have not been to a PP that i have not enjoyed. This year i do not have a clue about many of the bands. I do have high hopes for most of them due to the soundclips i have heard. I can't wait to see what they do live. As for who Glenn chooses to play or who he does not choose, i will be there. So far, he has not disappointed at all. I have loved them all. Glenn, count on two more gold badges this year from me regardless of who the headliners are.

Brand

oh yeah. The two headliners are still missing. I forgot all about it. I guess that's an extra bonus then.
That's an excellent way to look at the situation. It's already gonna be a great festival as it stands now. I've been a faithful festival attendee since PPUSA IV and I plan to keep on going! Way to go, Glenn & the boys.:headbang:

I would attend PPUSA no matter what. Every year I know there will be 5 to 6 bands that I will enjoy,even if I am not familar with them at first. It comes down to simply loving the music and trusting Glenn's taste that he will bring the best to the fans.

I also think that "natural change" with people's taste are a definite factor to consider when reading various posts on this forum expressing disappointment, nothing exciting, attend because it's "family" instead of the music, etc. For example, there are always a handful of people that start off loving the normal type progressive & power metal bands. Over time, their taste changes and they tend to get tired of the sound. They move on to other styles either more challenging to their ears or just something "different." They quit following or searching out the newer bands in the prog/power scene that are out there because they just don't excite them. They rely on their comformtable shoes so to speak and that means "name" bands.

That said, they are a part of a community and maintain their status here for various reasons (including enjoying a prog/power band every now & then). However, they simply do not get "excited" about the same things they did 4-5 years ago. These are the ones that need to have certain things on their checklist marked off before they attend a festival. These are the veterans of past festivals and active posters on this forum.

That's me right there :p

I would attend PPUSA no matter what. Every year I know there will be 5 to 6 bands that I will enjoy,even if I am not familar with them at first. It comes down to simply loving the music and trusting Glenn's taste that he will bring the best to the fans.
I enjoyed every band I saw and heard at PPUSA VIII. It was my favorite PPUSA so far. If you liked Firewind's performance this year, check out Astral Doors next year. Also, I've been hearing nothing but glowing reviews of bands such as Riverside and Andromeda. SUE are good, as well. All hail to the good times ahead!:headbang::kickass:

Many bands I like are already touring the US, so I actually prefer when Glenn announces a roster full of bands I've never heard of or listened to very much. Sometimes I get lazy and complacent with what I'm listening to and don't actively seek out much of the unknown. Glenn's rosters always give me that kick in the ass I need to do exactly that.

So yes, I'd come no matter what.

I'd go without a second thought about it. PPVIII was my first ProgPower USA festival and even then there were bands with which I was almost totally unfamiliar. I am even less familiar with the bulk of the line-up at PPIX. I enjoyed PPVIII immensely and expect to do the same at PPIX. As has been pointed out we do have almost a year to acquaint ourselves with these bands if we feel the need/desire to do so. I'll certainly try to use this time to my advantage so I at least have some semblance of familiarity with the music. In my case I know there is a lot of great, undiscovered metal out there and when I have a chance to hear it, and even better to experience live, I try to take advantage of it. I like to be challenged by new bands and new music and while I get a great deal of enjoyment from seeing bands I already know and love live it is also a great pleasure to see a group perform that I either don't know or only marginally know. More often than not I find myself thinking "wow, this is pretty good stuff." Raintime, Freak Kitchen (yes, technically they were part of the Showcase), and After Forever did that for me last year at PPVIII. If Glenn froze the line-up as is for PPIX I'd still be right there ready to enjoy it to the fullest. And if he throws us some curves for the headliners well then that suits me just fine, too. :headbang:

Ok I'm gonna say it. This lineup would not make me travel from Australia again. Glenn would have to announce Watchtower and Helloween w/Hansen and Kiske onboard as headliners to make me consider it.

My hubby and I will go for as many years as we can afford to go, and we are healthy enough to make it. Every progpower there is at least ONE new band that I listened to on the board or bought a CD to check them out and they are just "okay" on CD, but we see them live and they blow my doors off. THAT's why I go.

If I ever start going JUST for the social event, I will be sad that my mind has closed too much to the new or less familiar stuff. Not saying that's not a good enough reason to go, just that it is not a good enough reason for ME to go. My girls even tried to miss this years fest to save money to go to the PP Scandanavia and I FORCED them to go. That's probably child abuse in some minds, but it is a necessary evil to me.

I enjoyed every band I saw and hears at PPUSA XIII. It was my favorite PPUSA so far.
That's so interesting. Can you tell us who plays PPUSA XIII or is that information priviledged for only those who can attend FUTURE PPUSA festivals in the present? :p (I think you meant VIII)

My hubby and I will go for as many years as we can afford to go, and we are healthy enough to make it. Every progpower there is at least ONE new band that I listened to on the board or bought a CD to check them out and they are just "okay" on CD, but we see them live and they blow my doors off. THAT's why I go.

If I ever start going JUST for the social event, I will be sad that my mind has closed too much to the new or less familiar stuff. Not saying that's not a good enough reason to go, just that it is not a good enough reason for ME to go. My girls even tried to miss this years fest to save money to go to the PP Scandanavia and I FORCED them to go. That's probably child abuse in some minds, but it is a necessary evil to me.
Yes, who can ACTUALLY say "my mom forced me to go to progpower" and mean it? :lol:

I've been dying to see Riverside for a long time and I was excited about S.U.E. but I just saw them in DK. I am also very excited to see a few other bands on the roster and I think the headliners will only make it that much more appealing for me. This is probably the year where I have been least familiar with many of the bands but I look at it as an opportunity to get to know more music. There is SOO much out there and so little time so this gives me a few to focus on and if I don't like them and decide I don't want to go well, I'll go anyway because my mom and future husband will make me. I CAN say I haven't found a band on the line up so far that I don't like but I have found a few that I LOOOOVE so that's neat. Whatever that means..... :headbang:

If JOP and Riverside were the headliners, no I would not go, and no it would not sell out. And it wouldn't miss by 6 tickets either.

That being said, I'm pretty confident that the headliners will be outstanding, as there are too many curveballs and oddballs and new bands here. It's an obviously incomplete roster and will probably look a heck of a lot better when it is complete. I remember PPVI, which had the fastest sellout time, saw a lot of bitching as the bands were announced, but once the whole picture was painted in everyone was like "Best lineup ever!" and it showed in the ticket sales.