Bands you've tried, but just can't dig

schenkadere

Obey my dog!
Apr 24, 2005
NY
www.soundclick.com
Here's a few for me...

Nevermore, Opeth, Fates Warning

I don't know...I tried thinking I was missing something and it would eventually click...but it just never did.

Marillion (New and old.)
Riverside (Sort of. They where hyped so much with SLS and I never got that into it.)
Pain of Salvation
Queensryche
Pink Floyd
Genesis
Kaipa
Sigur Ros
AC DC

Probably a few more.

I just can't get into schlock like Stratovarius

Now Opeth, Nevermore and Fates Warning? I love those bands..hehe.. Fates is probably in my top 5 bands of all time.

Nightwish
anything with death growls or wailings
also most thrash, once again due to the vocals

Marillion (New and old.)
Riverside (Sort of. They where hyped so much with SLS and I never got that into it.)
Pain of Salvation
Queensryche
Pink Floyd
Genesis
Kaipa
Sigur Ros
AC DC

Probably a few more.

Damn! I love all those bands. :lol:

Uhh. Nightwish. Horrid stuff.
Redemption post-debut. Loved by all, boring to me.
Nevermore. Communic owns you, Loomis.
Yngwie. Yawn.
Mars Volta. Overrated.
Almost all Power Metal, with few exceptions.
Almost all proggy prog stuff (think odd time changes every measure, senseless guitar... I'd list bands but there are too many. Every time I try to like one of them, I just can't.)
Disillusion. Back To The Time Of Splendour. I don't get it.
Green Carnation.
The Gathering. Boring
Dragonforce post-debut.

As far as Nevermore goes...I can't listen to that Warrell Dane's howling for more than a few songs before getting nauseous. I think that the first 4 songs on This Godless Endeavor are the only thing I can actually listen to...I've tried about 5 albums and can't get through any of them.

Same with Opeth...so fucking repetitive and boring.

I like the Opeth progressions and mood but again the vocals just dont draw me back for more. Nevermore, had the vocal problem as well. Only Nevermore song I kept was "Believe in Nothing" and I like it alot, that was out of about 5 songs though, they must have more I would like.

I like the Evergrey I have heard but thats not enough to hear what Matt is talking about.

Fates is a finer, deeper taste

Noble is as finiky about music as I am vocals... lol

Progressive music rules for heavy/light stuff(yes both can go hand in hand), prog doesnt exist (thanks to some of you guys), guitar always makes sense unless they only do that thing where every trick and fret is used in every solo and everynote is a dry machinegun action. I dont get this from my progressive bands, I honestly get the point of it all, every little twist, just like a nice curved road in a fast car on a sunny summers day, or a mogul field on a steep mountain, I love the ones that trip me up.

Queensryche
Stratovarius
The Mars Volta (I liked them at first, and then I realised they're actually terrible, except the drummer)

Opeth are one of those bands that have that "something" about them, and it either hits you or it doesn't. If it doesn't hit you then you'll probably think they suck or that they're "just alright". But if it does hit you then you'll probably think they're one of the best and most unique bands out there, and that anyone who disagrees is an uncultured philistine. Similiar to a lot of so called "Doom Metal" bands like Katatonia and Daylight Dies, their music has that feel of being more about provoking thought and emotion than being "fun", very pretentious but hey thats how it works.

Warrell Dane's vocals grew on me just like Death and Black Metal vocals did, hated at first, then grew to appreciate it and enjoy it.

I forgot, I don't like Epica either. Every time I try listening to them all I can seriously think of is Zach's review of The Divine Conspiracy. "Just because you have a set of tits on stage doesn't make you any good." Haha:lol: