Bands you've tried, but just can't dig

Jesus Canto....you're worse than Harris.

Rayy-welcome to the forum. Hopefully you wont be scared off like so many others have been!

Thanks!

and its alright... the first time I saw Symphony X the guy behind me had a boner almost the whole show. Nothing could be more awkward than that... :lol:

Canto, thanks for the link! but I already posted a pic here- http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/7546401-post7702.html

I'm just a metalhead with boobs, nothing too special :)

I'm just playing around lol.

But yeah, welcome. Not many women here.. theres this one from australia, Jax, and Beezlebub but thats about it as active women posters.

Have fun, we're cool, don't talk about religion/politics and you'll be fine.

I'm just playing around lol.

But yeah, welcome. Not many women here.. theres this one from australia, Jax, and Beezlebub but thats about it as active women posters.

Have fun, we're cool, don't talk about religion/politics and you'll be fine.

Hahahaa thanks and nice to meet you two :headbang:

Ok...I'm trying Scar Symmetry's Holographic Universe. I like it...it's what I would call "cute". It is a very accessible, over produced, bubble gum, euro-melo-death...almost along the lines of Bodom in the bubble gum, accessible way. I'm not feeling it, nor the hype. Again...I find it a pleasant listen, but all the songs are very similar and the hooks don't catch deep enough. The vocal melodies are rather pop-ish...it almost has a screamo feel to it with the growls and clean vocals. Great guitar work, but it sounds lab sterile. I'd be willing to try Pitch Black Progress, but don't want to pay for it. I guess I was expecting too much. There's a lot of potential there.

Ok...go ahead...shred me...I'm not a hater, just being honest.

.it almost has a screamo feel to it with the growls and clean vocals.

Considering that in screamo they simply scream, with no technique or skill and that "Death Metal growls" are very far from screaming in terms of sound, and actually do require some knowledge of how to do it (without destroying your vocal chords) and technique. That's a pretty inaccurate comparison.

But I will agree that the guys clean singing voice does sound very American and quite similiar to the singing found in emo/screamo music.

Considering that in screamo they simply scream, with no technique or skill and that "Death Metal growls" are very far from screaming in terms of sound, and actually do require some knowledge of how to do it (without destroying your vocal chords) and technique. That's a pretty inaccurate comparison.

But I will agree that the guys clean singing voice does sound very American and quite similiar to the singing found in emo/screamo music.

That's what I meant. My kid plays in a screamo band, so I'm subjected to the music quite often. There's growling in a lot of it too. I also mean the format, as well...the way the screams or growls are structured with the clean within the context of the song.

I'm not catching any of the "prog" elements either. What makes them "progressive"?

I really wanted to dig this band...I'm still trying.

I'm curious of other folk's impressions of the band and their personal analysis.

Ok...I'm trying Scar Symmetry's Holographic Universe. I like it...it's what I would call "cute". It is a very accessible, over produced, bubble gum, euro-melo-death...almost along the lines of Bodom in the bubble gum, accessible way. I'm not feeling it, nor the hype. Again...I find it a pleasant listen, but all the songs are very similar and the hooks don't catch deep enough. The vocal melodies are rather pop-ish...it almost has a screamo feel to it with the growls and clean vocals. Great guitar work, but it sounds lab sterile. I'd be willing to try Pitch Black Progress, but don't want to pay for it. I guess I was expecting too much. There's a lot of potential there.

Ok...go ahead...shred me...I'm not a hater, just being honest.

They actually want to sound like a boyband with the clean vox. I love the accessibility, the punchy hooks. If you were looking for "death metal" you had the wrong impression. Don't knock it for what it never claimed to be. They wish they were Soilwork, but then, they've lept ahead of that which they emulated.

They actually want to sound like a boyband with the clean vox. I love the accessibility, the punchy hooks. If you were looking for "death metal" you had the wrong impression. Don't knock it for what it never claimed to be. They wish they were Soilwork, but then, they've lept ahead of that which they emulated.

Gotcha...I wasn't knocking it, but I did get a different impression being that it was discussed in this forum and referred to as prog.

Didn't want death metal, but I didn't want pop either.

Again...to each his own.

I guess you wouldn't suggest trying Pitch Black Progress instead?

No, Pitch Black Progress is even moreso what you dislike. Which for me, makes it better. They're a gothenburg band, like soilwork and dark tranquillity. They're not of the same ilk as say, Edge of Sanity or Death. That's not to say they're bad. Just another kind of band. Personally I love Scar Symmetry. Punchy, heavy, and catchy as hell.

I really like the song "The Illusionist". Even with the growls.

I did say that it's an enjoyable listen...it's just not at all what I expected...I'm not diving in and saying "oh, I love this band", but I am listening to the album and finding things I like...I just haven't embraced it in the way i thought i would based on all I've read.

I was curious of other opinions.

After reading your dislikes it's safe to claim we are opposites in the music listening world....:lol:

It's cool to have a thread without all the insults....

Ha...well...I'm sure there's a common thread somewhere.

I do like Buried In Oblivion....I just couldn't get into the others...I did try them though...just couldn't latch on.

On the Scar Symmetry thing....I don't dislike them...I just can't really get into them...I like a lot of what they are doing...hell, I'm a closet Bullet For My Valentine fan...I actually see similarities.

I dig the open discussions...to each his own.