Car Thread

What's everyone's thoughts on Tesla? I went to California a couple weeks ago and my uncle got a new Tesla which seemed pretty badass, though lots of people in Cali seem to have one. I still don't trust electric cars, but a few years down the line when/ if I have kids I think it would be a great speedy family sedan if it proves to be reliable in the long run.

i dont have much experience with electric cars but most people i know that own one are pretty happy with 'em. And one of the guys is a gearheard who drives a GT500KR.

They just seem so "souless" to me. Boring and uninspired aesthetics(inside and out) and driving the car is just no fun at all imo. I do know they're fast as fuck when launching and can embarrass a lot of people off the line if they're not paying attention. I think one of the guys who used to post here got a job with Tesla and moved out to Cali so maybe he can help you out. I think it was King Richard but im not sure

i dont have much experience with electric cars but most people i know that own one are pretty happy with 'em. And one of the guys is a gearheard who drives a GT500KR.

They just seem so "souless" to me. Boring and uninspired aesthetics(inside and out) and driving the car is just no fun at all imo. I do know they're fast as fuck when launching and can embarrass a lot of people off the line if they're not paying attention. I think one of the guys who used to post here got a job with Tesla and moved out to Cali so maybe he can help you out. I think it was King Richard but im not sure

@King Richard works for Tesla.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
LDi6mkY.jpg

Reactions: CiG
Lots of Tesla talk now, I like...

Yeah, I work at Tesla. Feel free to ask any questions you guys have.

A couple things I wanted to address since it was mentioned on this page.

1) Quality - Definitely used to be a major issue but has improved tremendously the past couple years and continues to get better as time goes on. The vehicles have minor issues now and then, but the powertrain is amazing and rock solid. I've driven every model new and old, and even the vehicles that most people would consider shitboxes (lemons or engineering cars), bt every one of them perform well from a powertrain standpoint. Anything produced nowadays is engineered to last with a target of one million miles, which is insane.

2) Personality - As mentioned, there isn't one, or their personality is that of a robot. They're like smartphones on wheels, appliances to travel from point A to B in comfort with as little stress or driver input as possible. Autopilot, especially the unreleased engineering versions, is fucking AMAZING. But if you're a car fan who really likes personality and real driving dynamics, these cars will disappoint you. But if you're looking for someone that is fast as fuck, extremely efficient, and very practical, they're great. Having said all of that, there's definitely some shit missing/stuff I'd want if I were going to dump that much money on a car these cars don't have, but that's a separate topic.

The short: I would definitely own one, but I'd never buy a new one. Go used. Also, that truck is fucking insane, don't write it off just yet. And the glass broke because the engineers were being idiots and kept throwing shit at it before the reveal. They're probably fired btw.

The short: I would definitely own one, but I'd never buy a new one. Go used. Also, that truck is fucking insane, don't write it off just yet. And the glass broke because the engineers were being idiots and kept throwing shit at it before the reveal. They're probably fired btw.

I'm a future truck buyer. Most of it is performance and function, but part of it is aesthetic. The tesla truck looks like a 90s PC lifted need for speed lambo, eg isn't big enough nor does it look very truck-ish. So it fails on function and aesthetic, unless I need a small caliber bulletproof function......

I'm a future truck buyer. Most of it is performance and function, but part of it is aesthetic. The tesla truck looks like a 90s PC lifted need for speed lambo, eg isn't big enough nor does it look very truck-ish. So it fails on function and aesthetic, unless I need a small caliber bulletproof function......

What do you mean not big enough?

edit: Link to specs comparison between Cybertruck, F150, Silverado, Ram, and Rivian R1T

https://www.thedrive.com/news/31167...8BB7HsDe6E72Q1HLDDIN9_nqG_roHup5egjTVkFq-5U1s

Last edited:
Reactions: Dak
What about this show of power?

Looks half decent until you spot the big flaw in the test.
Makes one wonder how many other tests have flaws in them to make the vehicle look better.
(Although to be fair Musk might well be the King of showing only one side of things but he's far from the only one who does)

What do you mean not big enough?

edit: Link to specs comparison between Cybertruck, F150, Silverado, Ram, and Rivian R1T

https://www.thedrive.com/news/31167...8BB7HsDe6E72Q1HLDDIN9_nqG_roHup5egjTVkFq-5U1s

Close enough, but I also should have clarified I'd be looking at 3/4 ton trucks, so not quite a fair comparison. However, it does still look like a turd, and the back seat looks like it wouldn't exactly be headroom friendly. I saw where Musk posted on Twitter something about basically needing flat panels because of the steel, but I still don't see why it needed to have the triangular shape.

Close enough, but I also should have clarified I'd be looking at 3/4 ton trucks, so not quite a fair comparison. However, it does still look like a turd, and the back seat looks like it wouldn't exactly be headroom friendly. I saw where Musk posted on Twitter something about basically needing flat panels because of the steel, but I still don't see why it needed to have the triangular shape.

What are you going to be hauling?

I should be in the market soon for a new vehicle and the wife wants a Tesla, but I don't think that will happen unless she gets a promotion and hefty raise!

@King Richard, any thoughts or advice on Mid size SUV's? I have a 2017 Hyundai Tucson which I liked before the transmission crapped out at 30,000 miles. I like the looks of Mazda's CX 5.

But if you're looking for someone that is fast as fuck.
hate to be that guy but teslas are quick, not fast. Yeah they come jumping out of the gate, but the average tesla will get embarrassed by most cars on the highway/freeway/track.

And the glass broke because the engineers were being idiots and kept throwing shit at it before the reveal. They're probably fired btw.
Didnt Musk say they were trying to test something out and were hammering on the doors and that caused the glass to get weak or someshit?