Car Thread

Replaced my old truck with a slightly less older truck today. Went from a 2005 Ram 3500 regular cab to a 2009 Ram 3500 regular cab. Kind of funny. Same interior. Same color. Same everything, except the newer one is a dually with like 100,000 less miles on it. What's great is that the previous owner didn't do anything to it like a DPF delete or chipped it so I don't need to worry about that bullshit.

Keeping the older truck for hunting/camping trips so now I won't worry so much about beating the shit out of it in the bush. My driveway is fucking packed now though with these two trucks, plus the GTR and bike in the garage.

Geez I don't know too many people in this country who would consider a second hand diesel with the DPF still attached a bonus. Most who even know what DPF stands for don't even understand how it works but they still think it should be removed.

Anyone who get a DPF delete in this area usually does it in conjunction with a chip which only means the engine has been driven to shit. I'd rather take a well maintained engine with a DPF than deal with that bullshit.

I do my own DPF delete anyways, but I don't trust other people and their maintenance of vehicles when I see a bunch of extra stuff done to their vehicles.

Deleted DPF's not done properly cause more issues in this country than actual DPF's. Too many think all they have to do is add a delete pipe and the job is done. DPF failures aren't as common as some people like to make them out to be. Sure they can be expensive if they do fail but something like a timing belt failure is expensive too. Yet so many in this country consider the DPF more of a danger than the timing belt.

Most Euro and some Jap trucks over about 5 tonne in this country have had DPF's, and other forms of emission control, for years, whereas the majority of consumer diesel vehicles, (passenger cars and utes etc) have only started getting them in about the last 10 or so years. I don't know one trucking company, from those running small 5 tonners to those running large fleets of semis and road trains who have gone to the trouble of removing any emission controls. Yet the first thing weekend four wheel drivers do it remove emission controls because they know more about diesel engines than the manufacturers who make them by the thousands. When it comes to DPF's, emission control, or any advancement aimed to make engines run cleaner most people in this country are shit scared of them and react as if their vehicles will blow up if they keep such things on their engines.

DPF's in 4WD's here are also often used as a 'big man little dick' thing. "Oh you just bought a diesel with a DPF, well you'll enjoy watching that get towed back the dealer every weekend" are the sorts of comments the smart people without DPF's sprout on a regular basis.

The company I work for ends up deleting the dpfs in most of their trucks. Because it's an oilfield company many of the trucks will sit idle for hours at a time and when the filter needs to regen it cant properly. It will eventually let out a disgusting sweet smelling belch of smoke then be okay for a while. The guys here will set the parking brake and leave the truck in neutral so that doesnt happen. Not sure what that does exactly, just some jerry rig they came up with because its such a rancid smell.

Reactions: King Richard
Most of the trucking companies I know are long haul, the rigs are running up to 18 hours a day for the majority of the week, even the small 5 tonners are running 10-12 hours a day so idling only really happens in traffic. I've seen a few in the yard that have idled too long, built up and struggled to regen but it's not often. It does seem like cars, utes, vans etc with DPF's do cause more issues than trucks here, but those sorts of daily drivers are driven different to long haul trucks.

One of the worst DPF burn procedures I've seen was in a 24 seater Toyota bus. It clearly stated that regens should happen automatically and without operator interaction, but if the light on the dash came on the driver was to pull over, put it in neutral and run the engine at 2500rpm for a period of 20 minutes. Most manufactures of smaller engines, like mini buses, in this country don't specify that the vehicle needs to be stopped, just that the engine needs to run at high revs until the light goes off and that can be done on the road even if the driver doesn't use top gear, but Toyota were adamant. It was also one of the worst engines for DPF regens and we couldn't remove it because of government regulations on school buses they subsidise. Many a time school kids were late on that bus for the two years the bus company I worked for had it. Yet in the 60 seat buses that were bringing in DPF fitted engines they were having little to no issues.

Most Australian car enthusiast's said good bye to Holden the day GM pissed on the name and closed local plants. Everything since then has been a formality and despite what GM say planned down to a tee. The only ones who claim they didn't see this coming is the fuckwits in government who refused to give GM the money they asked for to keep the plants in Australia running. Not that money would have bought GM's loyalty to local production, they just didn't want to pay the entitlements and figured the Australian government would 'rescue' them to 'save jobs' just like they had years before.

Fuckwits always be fuckwits.
TBH I don't know what the fuck else they thought would happen.

Yesterday's adventure. Thought I could make it a couple more towns but it was not to be. Maybe driving on puncture repairs not such a great idea, although the tyre was worn unevenly too.

MUh64Nu.jpg

7cwF15r.jpg

Plenty more rubber there, just drive faster and the flappy bits will come off eventually