WHAT METAL IS TO YA!!!!

dbluntman

May 3, 2005
I have a couple of friends of mine that have been into metal for sometime now. I've been into metal which feels like forever..and will remain so till the end of my days. at any-rate, my friends and I are always in dispute what metal really is and how it helps when you had a shitty day etc..
I have one friend who is into death and black metal and says that's thee antidote for your problems or whatever you are going through in life.
I have to disagree...I say that's cool to listen to that kind of type of metal I dig the synth and the drums and guitar bits they sound awesome but once you put what your beliefs are in metal music to me at least does not sound like metal anymore. Metal in my opinion is how it relates to you or anybody in your everyday life.

It's not to say hey, I had a sucky satanist day so now I'm gonna go and listen to gorgaroth or something. That's just not what metal is to me.
My life can be shitty from things happening at my work place to family members not communicating with me for no reason or etc....
and if that happens I'll listen to bands to get me through like OVERKILL's song-(where it hurts) to Suicidal Tendency's song (You can't bring me down)
or even Iron Maiden's (The apparition) and (I live MY way)... songs about staying true to yourself and not letting anybody get in your way.
Metal has always been there for me and will continue so till i'm dead.

Well... we still do have those dispute converstions and I just say to my friends whatever dude..whatever pops you butt cherry...

what do you all think metal is to you????

METAL on..................:headbang:

Wow... this is harder than I thought!! :lol:
Hm...
Well, I think metal is a form of music meant to break the boundaries of popular music and expand people's views of music and performances. I was very surprised the first time I watched live shows of bands like Metallica, Anthrax, and iron Maiden on youtube. It was loose, it was fun, everyone was having a good time. The band had fun WITH the people. There was a feeling of UNITY, and thus I believe to some extend metal is about bringing people TOGETHER in a crazy and fun environment. Very different from the music I was brought up on; classical, church music, etc. (Hey, I was a pretty sheltered kid!)

To ME, metal lessens the stress of my typical day and also makes me think. Actually, music in general does that to me; ha! So... I guess the top definition is more comprehensive. :D

Wow... this is harder than I thought!! :lol:
Hm...
Well, I think metal is a form of music meant to break the boundaries of popular music and expand people's views of music and performances. I was very surprised the first time I watched live shows of bands like Metallica, Anthrax, and iron Maiden on youtube. It was loose, it was fun, everyone was having a good time. The band had fun WITH the people. There was a feeling of UNITY, and thus I believe to some extend metal is about bringing people TOGETHER in a crazy and fun environment. Very different from the music I was brought up on; classical, church music, etc. (Hey, I was a pretty sheltered kid!)

To ME, metal lessens the stress of my typical day and also makes me think. Actually, music in general does that to me; ha! So... I guess the top definition is more comprehensive. :D

On that other aspect on what metal is to ya I agree with your point of view and you are right it is a very different kind of music maybe that's what drawed my attentioned at age 8...:)

what do you all think metal is to you????

To me, metal is an attitude. I feel differently when I listen to metal than when I don't. I feel stronger, more alive. It wakes something up in me.

I also agree with meep about it bringing it's fanbase together. You do feel like you're part of something bigger than yourself when you're at a metal concert. You get a sense of belonging.

To me, metal is an attitude. I feel differently when I listen to metal than when I don't. I feel stronger, more alive. It wakes something up in me.

I also agree with meep about it bringing it's fanbase together. You do feel like you're part of something bigger than yourself when you're at a metal concert. You get a sense of belonging.

Since when are you an anthropologist :D anyway :kickass:

Metal is just music - yes it's great to give me a kick in the ass at times and yes it's helped through some tough times (and good too!) but it's not a lifestyle, mantra or attitude to me. It's just music at the end of the day but dammit I love it and haved loved it since the late 80s. And it's very cool to be part of the Metal family but I hate being pigeonholed. Like most things in life I don't adopt anyone's opinions or attitudes but rather make my own.

I don't necessarily wear black all the time and I have never had long hair (except one sad attempt to grow it when I was 18 - very sad indeed - looked gaytarded).

It's an escape for me at the end of the day - a release and a form of entertainment. It doesn't dictate who I am or what I decide to do in life though.

But heck that's just me - for those that think differently I salute you! And that's the beauty of Metal, you are family forever regardless who you are and even your own opinions. Dare I say that there is more tolerance and acceptance from metal heads than most other `groups' I know of.

\m/

Metal doesn't do anything for me in terms of making me feel better after a shitty day. It doesn't satisfy my clients, bring back my dead uncle or lower my insurance rates.
I just really dig music

Arg has a point. I think thats the whole thing with a lot of metal bands - the band image you see on stage isn't necessarily the real people off stage. Heard a fantastic interview with Tom Araya earlier this year on local station Triple J. He basically said that the Slayer on stage are like cartoon characters but the real guys off stage are just normal family guys who all have the same attitudes like most people out there.

I mean the only person in Metal who really lives that life is Ronnie Dio as every day he is riding rainbows and chasing dragons whilst looking in the eyes of the tiger.

Arg has a point. I think thats the whole thing with a lot of metal bands - the band image you see on stage isn't necessarily the real people off stage. Heard a fantastic interview with Tom Araya earlier this year on local station Triple J. He basically said that the Slayer on stage are like cartoon characters but the real guys off stage are just normal family guys who all have the same attitudes like most people out there.

I mean the only person in Metal who really lives that life is Ronnie Dio as every day he is riding rainbows and chasing dragons whilst looking in the eyes of the tiger.

Yeah, I mean... ALL performers use a bit of acting and pretending or go up with some kind of attitude. Even when you play a rock in a schoolplay you do it. I have never met a metalhead that don´t drop the act when they get down from the stage. Peter Dolving is one of those guys, just a normal, but very funny, dad.

They say Phil is a very nice guy off stage when he isn´t acting the whole gay macho thing. I can´t take his rants seriously.