Advice for a PPUSA first-timer?

Here's a n00b question: how far in advance do you start saving money for the fest, generally?

I have to imagine the answer to that depends heavily on each person's financial situation. From discussions on this board it seems some people start saving for next year the day they get home from the current year's fest and for a small number others it's a typical weekend so no biggie. Most are somewhere in the vast middle.

The tickets are paid for way ahead of time. If you're flying you'll have to pay for that ahead of time. The cost of lodging will be known before you get there. So you just need to determine what you need/want/can spend on sundries which is basically food, booze, and stuff. Food near the venue ranges from fast food to moderate to fine dining, so you can spend as little or as much as you want. You can easily spend hundreds on merch or with a bit more dedication (it takes time to dig through all those CDs) you could spend thousands. Or you could spend nothing at all. So figure out the have to costs and the want to costs so you have a number to shoot for. Then figure out what you can set aside each month, and then you'll know how early you need to start setting money aside. Since I fly in from the west coast, most of my expenses are paid for six months ahead of time which is kind of handy.

Here's an interesting cost comparison. I was in Los Angeles to see Black Sabbath just a few days before ProgPower last year. We went out for a couple fine dining meals in LA and one in Atlanta. The least expensive fine dining meal in LA was exactly double the cost of a similar meal in Atlanta.

And just like retirement, or anything else worth saving for, the earlier you start the better. Nothing more annoying than seeing that "must have" hard-to-find CD and not having the cash on hand to make the purchase.

Basically, I know of four. I am quite sure there are others. But these leap to mind. And all are within easy walking distance of the venue.

Artmore Hotel
Marriott Atlanta Suites Midtown
Residence Inn Atlanta Midtown
Hilton Garden Inn and Homewood Suites Midtown

If you want to get into one of these, book as soon as possible. They will fill up. If you DO get into one of these places, then park your car in the hotel garage when you arrive and forget about it. You won't be needing it - unless of course you want to take in some other sights while in Atlanta...or ATL as all my gangsta dawg wigster homies like to say...shout out to my posse yo!

Thanks for all the tips Metalhed. Thats exactly what I needed. I wanted the Artmore, but of course its fully booked now. Ended up going with they Hyatt Atlanta Midtown. Its only an extra tenth of a mile further than the Hilton Garden Inn Midtown on the same street, and I tend to like Hyatt a little bit better. It was also a little bit cheaper than the Hilton or Mariott. FYI I was told the Hyatt, which used to be the Wyndham, was fully gutted and been completely renovated. So everything is pretty much new in it. Again, many thanks for your tips as they helped me A LOT. Your tips should be a sticky.

FYI: the Residence Inn Midtown has shown up on the bedbug registry: http://bit.ly/1d27sDA

Welcome aboard to all the n00bs! You're in for a helluva time and one of the most unforgettable concert experiences the world can offer!

Not sure if you are looking to save funds on hotel or you are trying to get the "hotel experience" from the fest, but Justin Gaines and I stay out of town every year just north west of the city (I think) and save money. We just kick in the extra money to park in the garage below the venue which is like $10 a night but is mighty convenient to drop off merch purchases through out the day and to snack on food we bring in a cooler. We just have to drive usually 20 minutes out and back a day and pay 50 cents toll either way.

Not anymore! The politicians here did something unusual: they actually kept a promise and ended the tolls on GA 400 about six weeks ago, after the construction bonds were paid off. The tollbooths are in the process of becoming...phantom tollbooths. :)

However, a car full of PPUSA attendees on a train would be about the most awesome fest travel method I can imagine.

A group of us actually rented out an entire Amtrak coach for a ride down to New Orleans for a convention, many years ago now. It required 46 people so it probably wouldn't work for any individual city along the route to PPUSA, but it was hella fun. Amtrak coupled our coach right behind the locomotives so no-one else on the train would wander through on the way anywhere, and we even got to bring on some of our own potables in a cooler.

According to Amtrak's site, a train takes 11 hours and will get there at 7. The show Wednesday night starts at 7:30, so I think it will be cutting it a little too close for my comfort. I wouldn't want to miss part of a band if I can drive and get there earlier. Still though, it's still an idea that's being considered.

Thanks for all the tips Metalhed. Thats exactly what I needed. I wanted the Artmore, but of course its fully booked now. Ended up going with they Hyatt Atlanta Midtown. Its only an extra tenth of a mile further than the Hilton Garden Inn Midtown on the same street, and I tend to like Hyatt a little bit better. It was also a little bit cheaper than the Hilton or Mariott. FYI I was told the Hyatt, which used to be the Wyndham, was fully gutted and been completely renovated. So everything is pretty much new in it. Again, many thanks for your tips as they helped me A LOT. Your tips should be a sticky.

FYI: the Residence Inn Midtown has shown up on the bedbug registry: http://bit.ly/1d27sDA

No problem. Glad I could help.

The hotel you are in is a mile and a quarter from the venue...about six blocks give or take. The Artmore is between your hotel and the venue...you will pass it on the walk in. I only say that because The Artmore is PPUSA's quasi-official Party Central. The inside courtyard will be packed with fans, crew and band members every night. If you have any desire to "get social" as part of your PPUSA experience, that is the place to be after the show.

Yes, the Hyatt/Wyndham has been turned into an art deco showpiece. If you like the brightest and glitziest with a touch of that new hotel smell, then you should be happy.

As far as Residence Inn making the bed bug list, I would take that with a large grain of salt. What hotel doesn't struggle with pests? Ask anyone in the hospitality industry and they will tell you that fighting bed bugs is a 24/7 365 day-a-year battle. Every hotel gets them. The best hotels are the one's who can successfully suppress them 99% of the time. Trust me. Lots of PPUSA regulars stay at the Residence Inn, and I have yet to hear of any who have been eaten. :-D I'm sure it has had it's share. But from my observation, the place is clean and the customers are happy. It's a nice hotel. So if you were considering it, don't let that stop you. Besides...it's VERY close to the venue. Less that 2/10th of a mile. Your feet will thank you for that. *hint hint*