Albums everyone loves but you find lacking?

Crazy Booduh

May 19, 2009
I was listening to Symphony X - Paradise Lost the other day, and it got me thinking about their last album, The Iconoclast, and how disappointed I was with it.

I'm a HUGE Symphony X fan and this album seemed to get universally great reviews, but it just didn't do it for me. I feel like they leaned a little too much towards blues/hard rock versus metal. It just couldn't sink its teeth into me like Paradise Lost. I think the opening track is the only one that really stood out to me.

Another issue is I think it's dumb they made it a double disc. If they removed one track, they could have fit the whole thing on one disc. So instead of having one monster disc, they split it into two discs at 50 min and 33 min. The first disc ends uneventfully on a mellow track and the second disc just feels really short.

So I guess this leads into either a discussion on this album, or if there is another album you just couldn't get into but everyone else seemed to love.

Heh, sorry Ken. I'm usually not much of a discussion starter but this was bugging me the other day :)

I feel like the crowd here is pretty friendly but I have no problem closing this up here and now.

I can sort of agree about Iconoclast. My issue with new Sym-X is that they've gone too far into the pounding power metal direction. It gives me a headache to listen to it. I miss the days of their neo-classical metal glory, like The Divine Wings of Tragedy.

One album I know a lot of people like that I don't generally is Melodramus - 30 Silver Pieces. There are a couple of awesome songs on it, but in general the material is pretty weak.

This is kind of an inside out compliment to Symphony X because it proves each of their many albums has it's own identity and I think it's totally fair to share an opinion to your personal tastes. I think all of their stuff is great but I would have to say "Odyssey" is my fave. And the members are some of the coolest guys ever and they truly cherish their fans, so that's a bonus in my eyes.

Tool - 10,000 days is one of them. This band is capable of amazing highs (Vicarious and the pot) and then the useless fillers. The same goes with their previous albums.

Symphony X - Im a fan too and I agree that Iconoclast is unfortunately their weakest album.

Well, one album pops into my head very quickly, and that is The Flower Kings 'Banks Of Eden'. It eventually joined 'Adam & Eve' as my least favorite FK albums. I tried and tried to get into it, but there didn't seem to be any melodies that I could sink my teeth into. I'm really starting to figure out my musical tastes as I get older, and I've learned that there has to be some melody and hooks, or I'm lost. In other words, there has to be a little pop mixed in with my prog. Even 'Close To The Edge' has hooks. The '...seasons will pass you by, I get up...' part is an awesome hook. Ok, off the soapbox now.

As much as I enjoy the latest Symphony X cd 'Iconoclast", I have to admit that it's probably their weakest album.....the songs sound very similar from one to the next and the vocals are increasingly rough. Russell Allen has one of the best voices in metal.....it's a shame to waste it like this.....but that's my own opinion, of course.

I suppose the best example of an album that most people highly tout, but I find lacking is the last Opeth cd (Heritage). The potential and ideas coming out of that cd are phenomenal but I find it lacking in structure. Many songs start out well but simply go nowhere or get lost toward the middle or end. I am VERY anxious to hear a new cd by Opeth, however.

I remember when I first listen the song Devil's orchard from the Heritage / Opeth album. I was very excited about this album and I thought that it would be the next master piece LOL!!!! I was so disappointed to listen the rest of this album. What a let down for me !!!!!

I would have to say most of the albums by The Flower Kings. I can not get into these guys at all.

I'm a big Opeth fan and just couldn't get into Heritage...
The new disc better be a lot better or they'll be the new Pain of Salvation for me...

Judging from Akerfeldt's comments on the new album, anyone who didn't like Heritage will likely have the same issues with their next album.