Albums that you *LOVE*...and everyone else hates...

Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings.

well, not so much that 'everyone' hates this album, but I know Jon Schaffer hates it. He told me himself. But this has got to be my absolute favorite of the Iced Earth catalog. Nothing else touches it.

Angrafan said:
I also love Tate's solo Album!

Rock on brother...or sister??? Anyway, I thought it was awesome for what it was, which was NOT a Queensryche Album. I was a little skepticle until I saw his band perform at the Experience Music Project, in the best city in the USA, Seattle, and they were awesome! Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Rycher, but I just didn't want to hear a Queensryche album from the Geoff Tate Band. By the way...Angra rules!:headbang:

etherealsoul said:
Rock on brother...or sister??? Anyway, I thought it was awesome for what it was, which was NOT a Queensryche Album. I was a little skepticle until I saw his band perform at the Experience Music Project, in the best city in the USA, Seattle, and they were awesome! Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Rycher, but I just didn't want to hear a Queensryche album from the Geoff Tate Band. By the way...Angra rules!:headbang:
Add me to that list that loves that CD
Love the song Helpless

Angra--"Fireworks"--I don't know why everybody says that "Angels Cry" is such a masterpiece. I like it, but compared to this album, it doesn't come close. The production on "Fireworks" is better, the songs aren't nearly as cheesy, the guitar work smokes, and Andre Matos never sounded better. Granted, "Holy Land" is better (though not production-wise), and the band has improved even more with the new lineup, but this album really deserves more praise than it received.

Black Sabbath--"The Eternal Idol," "Headless Cross," "Tyr," and "Cross Purposes"--I totally agree with Dustin on the Tony Martin era of Black Sabbath. That guy has a killer voice. He just put out a solo album that's supposed to be within the vein of this material. I'll have to check that out soon. Has he ever been asked to play the festival, and if not, then why not?

Crimson Glory--"Strange And Beautiful"--I have to admit that it took a while for this album to grow on me, but I absolutely love it now. It has a real funky feel to it while still rocking out. "Starchamber" could have easily fit on "Transcendence."

Dokken--"Shadowlife"--It's not a typical Dokken album by any means, but it shows Jeff Pilson and Mick Brown at their best as a rhythm section. George Lynch's solos are strangely different as well, but I like how their short and to the point.

Dream Theater--"Falling Into Infinity"--With the exception of "You Not Me," this album is very solid. It shows that Dream Theater can write catchy tunes while still being all widdly widdly when it's appropriate.

Fates Warning--"Disconnected"--Yes, there are a couple of fairly long songs. No, the songs aren't all widdly widdly. Yes, Jim Matheos plays the same note over and over for the title tracks. Yes, there's plenty of electronic stuff going on. However, there's a reason for all of it. I don't know how to explain it in any other way than this: sometimes, you can tell when musicians are playing repetitive or simpler pieces because they're out of ideas, and sometimes you can tell when they're doing it to convey their deepest emotions. This albums takes the latter approach.

Helloween--"Pink Bubbles Go Ape" and "Chameleon"--Though they weren't exactly the speedy power metal albums we were used to by them (especially "Chameleon"), the music is solid, the vocals are awesome, and they both showed the band's diversity.

Iron Maiden--"Dance Of Death"--In my opinion, this album only expands upon the sound they had with "Brave New World." It really picks up in the second half.

Journey--"Arrival"--Fuck Steve Perry! Steve Augeri sings more like Steve Perry than Steve Perry does in a live situation. Besides, this album is just as good as any of the most popular albums from the Steve Perry era. People don't give it a chance because it's doesn't have the famous name they're used to. It's the same deal with Black Sabbath.

Mullmuzzler--"Keep It To Yourself" and "Mullmuzzler 2"--I don't understand why everyone gives James LaBrie such a hard time. He's an incredible vocalist, and these albums show that he can (co-)write some awesome tunes. It's kind of like what you would get if Peter Gabriel was a metalhead.

Nelson--"Because They Can"--Glenn, I think I win the trophy with this one. I don't give a shit what anybody says about Nelson. No, they aren't metal. However, they wrote some of the catchiest and slickest pop tunes ever. Their voices worked perfectly together, and they always used a natural backing vocal sound, as opposed to all of the multi-tracked bullshit that the Def Leppards and Blind Guardians of the world use. I challenge anyone to listen to this album and not spend the rest of the day with one of the choruses stuck in their head.

Joe Satriani--"Engines Of Creation"--I hated this album when I first heard it, as I thought electronic music and guitar heros had no business being together. After seeing him on tour for the album, however, I went back and listened to it. All of a sudden, I kept liking it more and more, and I think it's because it's so different from everything else he's ever done. It was a bold experiment for him, and an awesome album for anyone with a more open mind.

Symphony X--"Symphony X"--Everybody gives Rod Tyler flack, but I thought he was a pretty good vocalist. This album is much like Dream Theater's "When Dream And Day Unite:" a debut for a band with lots of potential. Like Dream Theater, Symphony X only got better with each album, but that's not to say that this album was bad. "The Raging Season," "Masquerade," "Absinthe And Rue," and "Taunting The Notorious" are all great songs that Symphony X should perform live, as they would sound even more wicked awesome with Russell Allen.

Steve Vai--"Flex-Able"--What would you expect one of Zappa's musicians to make after being such a huge fan for years and then playing for him for a number of years? It's such a weird and wonderful mess of an album.

Winger--"Pull"--Add me to the growing list of those who loved this album. I think everybody else said what I would have about this album, so I'll move on.

Yes--"90125"--Obviously, somebody had to like this album if it sold as much as it did. However, it gets a lot of crap these days, especially from old Yes fans. I think Trevor Rabin is an underrated talent. He wasn't trying to be Steve Howe, and why would he bother trying? There can be only one. Though the band was going for a mondernized sound (which is kind of funny to say now), they still kept the strong sense of melody and musicianship for which they're known.

Start casting the stones, folks!

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

Ooh, I forgot about Strange & Beautiful - I was always one of the few people who actually liked that disc. Not as much as Transcendence, mind you, but it was still pretty good.

Silent Rage - Don't Touch Me There, what a great rock album, too bad it didn't get the press it deserved, just about every song on that album was perfect for airplay.

the Roxx Gang album was "Things You've Never Done Before", they're right down the street from my home town here in Florida. Their 1st 2 albums were great, never really got into anything after them.

Here's some more I'm into along those lines...

Tigertailz
Roughhouse
Company of Wolves
Cold Sweat
Child's Play
Electric Angels
Electric Boys

For me it's anything by Manowar as I know many of the people on this board don't like Manowar.

As far as Alice Cooper's Raise Your Fist And Yell goes, that album has been burned into my brain. I listened to it on cassette for a year until the tape wore out. I bought a second copy and made it last 5+ years till I got the album on CD. No matter where I am, I always have that album with me.

Ditto on all Tony Martin-era Black Sabbath. I love Tony's new solo CD, "Scream" but am sure plenty of people will hate that too, so I mind as well add it to the list.

Met-Al said:
Black Sabbath--"The Eternal Idol," "Headless Cross," "Tyr," and "Cross Purposes"--I totally agree with Dustin on the Tony Martin era of Black Sabbath. That guy has a killer voice. He just put out a solo album that's supposed to be within the vein of this material. I'll have to check that out soon. Has he ever been asked to play the festival, and if not, then why not?Met-Al

I agree with you on all counts. You'll love his new solo CD if you love his work with Sabbath. I was sold on the second listen. He would be a great choice for a 1 (opener) or 2 slot, or even a 3 if he would play a good part of his Sabbath catalog.

TheWhisper said:
We have a new contender!:ill:

I don't LOVE this disc (Tate's solo effort), but I do like it quite a bit. An intimate, relaxing disc that has it's place. Nice rhythm. I guessing for most guys that place would be the trash can, but I wouldn't be suprised if some of the ladies would like it in the bedroom.

Although I'm quite outspoken about the direction Tate has lead QR after Promised Land, I don't fault him at all for a solo disc like this. This is what solo CDs are for.

I thought of one tonight because I was listening to it on the drive home from Powerfest.

Thinn Lizzy - Thunder and Lightning

Well, actually, I was listening to Live and Dangerous, but it made me think of T&L.