Autotune in Metal?

Oh I'd also like to add that it can be a very useful tool when say trying to find a harmony that a singer is having a hard time memorizing. You can fake it, just so they can hear the notes and sing along with it, memorize it, then keep the "real" take. Once again this falls under the helping save money category.

i really do think most people on this board would be surprised at how much "fake" is on albums today. from re-amping to computerized drum programs, etc. it's a digital world where perfection is the name of the game, sadly enough.

Reamping doesn't change the performance, it just allows the artist/producer to change the amp sound after the performance has be recorded.

As to the OP, I'd be shocked if there many bands that have played PPUSA that did not use auto tune on their vocalist. With recording budgets dropping so low, it's becoming very hard to have enough time to get good takes, much less great takes, in the few days each singer has to spend on an album.

As an aspiring singer, I am not interested in using Autotune for any reason other than to find the note that I need to hit in a given line. If it's noticeable that I'm falling flat or sharp on a note, I will sing the line containing that note until I get it right. If I can't get the note right, I will re-work the melody. I don't mind adjusting the volume of my notes, as mine admittedly tends to rise with my range. In addition, Dustin and I will copy and paste any repeated sections of a song to save time. However, that's the only kind of studio magic you'll hear on an album featuring my vocals.

My goal with the upcoming Katagory V album is to present a performance that I can re-create live as accurately as possible. I've already spent countless hours singing my lines in the studio (much to Dustin's chagrin, I'm sure!), but I can at least listen to the recordings knowing that I alone sang every note on the album. I understand the arguments for additional uses for Autotune, but that's not how I want to approach my music.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

This is the type of integrity I was speaking of in my post...I not bashing anyone or their techniques. You can tell from Albert's post he is proud of his accomplishment and that he should be... That is the approach I take in the studio with singers because from my experience, they are more satisfied in the long run knowing it was all them with no correction. My hats off to you Albert Al:kickass:

Reamping doesn't change the performance, it just allows the artist/producer to change the amp sound after the performance has be recorded.

With recording budgets dropping so low, it's becoming very hard to have enough time to get good takes, much less great takes

HAHA yep, not everyone has $15K + to drop on an "industry standard" recording.

I for one will be looking into possibally building a computer to tackle the guitar work (reamping) and some orchestrations on the next album just to save some money. Those two processes there could soak up 5-6 days in the studio easily at roughly $1,200/day depending on what studio you're at. spend the $1,200-$2,000 on a computer to soley run protools and some apps and you have all the time in the world to nail your takes and experiment with cool shit, put it on a hard drive and go back to your studio and finish it up there. Thus, drums, vocals, midi re edits, mixing and mastering is all you have to basically pay for.

In a perfect world you would have all the time to do everything in the studio and not have to figure out how to budget cut. Hell, if someone gave me some rediculous budget that record, I promise you, would just be mind blowing. Not nessisarly the physical writing and structure of the material but all the crazy stuff you could do with say a real orchestra, and actually having the time to go back in and change things here and there..... basically like 6 months in the studio. Granted at one point all big bands were doing it the hard way before they got real budgets, today it just seems different because of the advances in technology.

Which brings me to another question. It seems to me there has become a standard of "tone" for a recording. If some awesome band has a terrible recording and sends it out their cd would probably get tossed into the pile with the rest of them. BUT if you have a "meh" band with a rediculous in your face recording.....OMG this is the next big thing.......

Which brings me to another question. It seems to me there has become a standard of "tone" for a recording. If some awesome band has a terrible recording and sends it out their cd would probably get tossed into the pile with the rest of them. BUT if you have a "meh" band with a rediculous in your face recording.....OMG this is the next big thing.......
This seems to vary greatly by genre. For instance, people who are into tr00 Black Metal dismiss bands when their sound is too polished. I'm sure Jazz and Blues fans have their own production/tone idiosyncrasies. With Power and Prog, I don't want to hear a muddied mix. Obviously, if the songwriting is over the top brilliant, I'll cope. However, I just have very little tolerance for crap recordings.

This seems to vary greatly by genre. For instance, people who are into tr00 Black Metal dismiss bands when their sound is too polished. I'm sure Jazz and Blues fans have their own production/tone idiosyncrasies. With Power and Prog, I don't want to hear a muddied mix. Obviously, if the songwriting is over the top brilliant, I'll cope. However, I just have very little tolerance for crap recordings.

you know its funny, I just saw some black metal DVD where it had guys from burzum and some other rediculous BM bands. They said when they went to the studio they wanted the most terrible recording process possible. They were wanting to "rebel" against this "so called good produciton" because rebelion is what black metal was about.

the temperature then dropped several degrees in my appartment.

Yes, on some of the Burzum records, Varg didn't use a guitar amplifier at all but instead plugged his guitar into a stereo system. Recorded the drums with the microphone from a telephone headset.

The rumors of some LLN bands sticking a microphone up a dead rat's ass and recording their album in a castle take the cake.

you are correct and i know this, but i was referring to how it's used as something to save time than rather sit and mess with your head for hours to try and get the right tone that will transfer to "tape" the best (haha - analog reference there). jamie king used to sit in front of an amp for what seemed like a full day trying to get the tone the bands wanted. hahaha. so much has changed since those days.

you know its funny, I just saw some black metal DVD where it had guys from burzum and some other rediculous BM bands. They said when they went to the studio they wanted the most terrible recording process possible. They were wanting to "rebel" against this "so called good produciton" because rebelion is what black metal was about.

It's said that Ulver recorded Nattens Madrigal (except for the acoustic section in track one) to a boom box in a forest. They allegedly spent a good chunk of the advance that Century Media gave them on designer suits, a vintage car, and blow. Century was PISSED, which was fine with the band because they also used the advance to start Jester Records.

Note the band picture in the William Blake liner notes: Car. Suits. No blow, but they might as well be holding a sign that says "Thanks, Century!"

THAT'S rebellion.

Good stuff. Black metallers never cease to crack me up. What an eccentric group...amongst an already fairly eccentric group.

It's said that Ulver recorded Nattens Madrigal (except for the acoustic section in track one) to a boom box in a forest. They allegedly spent a good chunk of the advance that Century Media gave them on designer suits, a vintage car, and blow. Century was PISSED, which was fine with the band because they also used the advance to start Jester Records.

Note the band picture in the William Blake liner notes: Car. Suits. No blow, but they might as well be holding a sign that says "Thanks, Century!"

THAT'S rebellion.

Ulver rumors are always great. They dispelled the Nattens Madrigal ones though, saying "there is no electricity in the forest." Short and sweet.

Ulver rumors are always great. They dispelled the Nattens Madrigal ones though, saying "there is no electricity in the forest." Short and sweet.

Yeah, it always smelled like bullshit to me, but so much of it retroactively makes sense that it had an air of truth about it. I've always kind of perceived Nattens Madrigal to be a parody of the black-metal aesthetic...like, it seemed that Ulver was done with black metal after Bergtatt (Kveldssanger is not a black metal album), but then Century came around and threw a stupid amount of money at them so it could have a black metal album by a band that was tangentially related to the whole Mayhem fiasco. So Ulver took the money and delivered one of the shittiest-sounding albums ever committed to tape, which may or may not have been exactly what Century wanted. It's an interesting story that I'd love to get to the bottom of someday.

Oh I'd also like to add that it can be a very useful tool when say trying to find a harmony that a singer is having a hard time memorizing. You can fake it, just so they can hear the notes and sing along with it, memorize it, then keep the "real" take. Once again this falls under the helping save money category.

Very good point. In some ways, singing harmony is more difficult than singing lead. You don't have to have a "nice voice" to sing harmony as tone color is much less important than key, but to keep the harmony key correct, sometimes the notes sound very odd from what you think you should be singing and are almost hard to muster up, especially live. Musicians that are great harmony vocalists, like many of the modern country harmony singers (notorious for having nearly impossible harmony vocals) and guys like Ritchie Sambrora, and even Stephan and Gunter from Vanden Plas are not appreciated enough for that craft.

Bryant

Excellent point, Bryant. I'm always amazed by a great harmony vocalist, and the musicians you mentioned are perfect examples. If I meet a musician and I think his or her backing vocals are great, I make sure to tell them. They often look puzzled when I do this, as if no one has ever complimented them for it. I guess most listeners don't realize just how much of talent it is to harmonize vocally while playing an instrument.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert