Cheers 'n Jeers '12

5 - Seven Kingdoms for not only bringing physical form to memes, but using them as a marketing ploy. Come on guys, you're better than that.

With the sheer amount of 'serious' marketing we did at the fest this year, we wanted to do something light and fun. I had nothing but complements all weekend :)

Sorry you couldn't see this.

Cheers

- Just being able to attend the fest this year - its been my first vacation since the UTPOM tour we did in august of 2011. What better way to take a week off?
- PRETTY MAIDS and SINBREED stole my show - they were amazing.
- the sound was a lot better this year than it was at the only other time i've gone (XI)
- I was able to meet TONS of people and the band felt very at home.
- obvious marketing a new product is obvious
- being able to watch Glenn do what he does best
- learning from the performances of other bands
- The food at the VINYL was actually pretty awesome! they should increase their menu and reap the benefits of people not wanting to leave.
- Seeing the whole intromental team minus one (inserts sad face)
- Vendor Prices were very reasonable!!!
- Patrick for being a boss and yelling at the drunk guy hahaha
- Hoyt for saving me a copy of the program and sampler from LAST YEAR! woot!

**also want to thank Wayne Joyner for saving my ass and burning me a correct dvd!**

Jeers

-The drunk guy was very annoying to our band at the courtyard
-I wish taxi's were cheaper
-I wish I had more money to blow

*that's really it*

I have a question for the Atlanta locals. Do you have poison Ivy or Sumac, Oak around town? I thought what was maybe a rash or something on my legs but its itching like hell and has been since Saturday... This definitely goes down as a Jeer :Smokedev:

Bear

Late to the thread this year, but it was an awesome year overall. If it had been really crappy I might have posted sooner, but I'm not sure Glenn, Jen and crew could put on a crappy PPUSA if they TRIED to. :)

Cheers:
-No more sidewalk construction work between Artmore and the venue

Heh, I was wondering if I was the only person who noticed this. At one point walking toward the venue from the Artmore I thought "Hey! Last year this same course would have twisted my ankle!" Kudos to the City of Atlanta for getting the work done.

Jeers:
Toilet overflow, and staff not turning the room the day after. Yay, sticky crap floor!

I'll go out on a limb and surmise that you were at the Artmore. Same thing happened to us -- twice. And it's not like we were really bombing the porcelain porsche, either. I guess their toilets are just...less robust. :(

Cheers:

- Glenn & Jen. Thank you so much for another fun filled fest. It was the best one yet. I know you two work you butts off all year long and as a multi-year sponsor I wish to personally thank you both. :worship: :headbang: :kickass:

- The Jon Olvia workshop. The man, the legend. Words can't describe this experience fully.

+1 to both of these. Can't thank Glenn, Jen and the entire crew enough for all the hard work they put into this shindig.

And that Jon Oliva workshop was a great start for my PPUSA 2012 experience; we got to watch a pretty ass-kicking song created by a master step-by-step in about 90 minutes. Absolutely phenomenal. They said it was recorded; I hope it came out well. I'd pay good money for it. And "When the Crowds Are Gone" was a perfect ending. "OH! YES!!" :worship:

Cheers:
The Catering company (that obviously took a big hit by even coming to the Artmore. I don't think they sold a thing that day) But they still gave me a free lunch because I tried to help them with their van that broke down out front of the hotel.

By an independent count, they sold two (2) platters, at $10 each. A bit steep considering Davinci's was only 3 or 400 feet away with their glorious $6 lunch special.

Cheers
-Alan of Primordial. He was, is, and will be the most interesting and amazing person to attend Progpower, on stage and off. I really, really loved seeing him on stage and talking to him off. Especially on Saturday, he really seemed to cut loose a lot and have a ton of fun.

Being able to chat with him on Saturday, and hang out with him and an attentive crowd until 5:45 am (!) Saturday morning was a true high point of the festival. He's a man of many opinions and he's not afraid to express them...but he also has many facets that might not be obvious at first, but come out when talking to him.
--And yes, he can smile and laugh. He did when I referred to myself as a "recovering" Catholic. ("I was sick, but I'm trying to get better....") :lol:

-The people in the pit. It was cramped, there were a lot of us in there, but you were all so incredibly professional and amazing. Thank you to the sponsors especially for making room for the photographers, and thank you to the photographers for giving up the good spots on a rotating basis.

I was only up there twice during performances, but everyone was really considerate. Awesome!

Cheers:
-Exceptionally generous Artmore partiers. The cupcakes, pizza, and liquor were much appreciated.
-DaVinci's pizza -- didn't even know about this place and it rules. Went Friday and Saturday. It's likely to turn into my new lunch spot since it's close to my office.

+1 on both of these.
"Bacon Dave," you were awesome for bringing a pile of Chinese food late Friday night and pizza on Saturday night. As for the cupcakes......it occurs to me that they're not all THAT far from me up here in Auburn. :worship:
DaVinci's just flat-out rules. Really awesome pizza and according to my friend Ripper, the best wings he's ever found in Atlanta. I didn't realize that their parking lot next door is free, so I have a new eatery to consider when I'm in town for a show.

The only jeer was the dang parking deck at the law school. I left the Thursday night from Nightwish/Kamelot and when I typed in the code it prompted me to do so again and then informed me it was a duplicate code and to see an attendant. Right. What attendant? Not even a darn telephone number to call an attendant! I got out eventually as did another young couple in the sane fix but if the law school wants all the money they are due, they really need a mechanism for getting assistance to people glitched by their exit terminal. Spending the night in their parking garage is simply not an option!

You can always sue them later........oh, wait, maybe not. :)

Bacon Dave was the pizza man - he rules on so many levels! i will pass this along to him, Jaime xx

Add some thanks for me, please!

Oh, and another cheer I totally forgot - Nathan for sharing his cookies with the sponsors before one of the sets (forget which one). That was very nice of him. :)

Agreed! Yummy!

CHEERS/JEERS to the Artmore this year. They had me checking in Wednesday night instead of Thursday night, and I'm told I wasn't the only person this happened to. When I asked if I could simply arrive Thursday they said "sure...but we'll still charge you for Wednesday night." So I poured $240 down a hole for one unneeded room-night and picked up the key on Wed.
That was when I discovered that the room I supposedly booked wasn't a two-story mini-suite like I'd gotten for several years in a row, but a deluxe studio, and it faced into the courtyard. Oh! No!
The cheer comes from the nice lady at the desk who told me to get there right at noon on Thursday since they had exactly one deluxe studio vacating, and it faced out. They were able to move me there, but the whole experience left a rotten taste in my mouth.

JEERS to the lighting during Nightwish's set on Thursday. Guys, we came to see a band, not be blinded over and over by those bright white lights. Almost as bad as Unearth at the Tabernacle a few years ago opening for Dimmu Borgir.
Also a slight jeer for the looong outro and no encore. It was a great performance, but it ended not with a bang, but a whimper and some disappointment.

CHEERS to Solution .45 for making me proud, Primordial (particularly Alan) for putting on the most intense performance ever at PPUSA, Kamelot and Nightwish and Jon Oliva for a truly amazing Thursday of entertainment, Epica for wrapping up with "Consign to Oblivion," all the bands who I saw because they were all amazing, to Glenn for scheduling PPUSA next year only one weekend after Dragon*Con instead of two....and cheers to (almost) everyone at the festival for the camaraderie. We have a very special thing going, and it'll be awesome to see everyone again next year!

I have a question for the Atlanta locals. Do you have poison Ivy or Sumac, Oak around town? I thought what was maybe a rash or something on my legs but its itching like hell and has been since Saturday... This definitely goes down as a Jeer :Smokedev:

Bear

I'd go to the doctor ASAP and make sure its not staph.

Bear

Poison ivy does grow everywhere around here, but unless you were rolling around in some overgrown, untended lot somewhere I doubt you got any...

I'd go to the doctor ASAP and make sure its not staph.

Thanks its not Staph, its fading now, been killing it with Benadryl all week. To me it felt like Poison Oak but in smaller clusters. I have never had Poison Ivy but if its out in Atlanta and I did a lot of walking around, I may have inadvertently passed through some....All good now

Bear

You would not believe what magic Jake and his guys did to pull that set off.... and those issues were beyond control of the band or crew.

+1

Amaranthe deserves special kudos. For those unaware, Lufthansa lost their luggage that contained all of their backing tracks. We met at 1100 that morning to discuss the situation as their stuff would not arrive in time. I seriously thought they were going to have to go with an unplugged show. However, they worked all day to get the tracks from their producer overseas into a basic format that would work. Thus, they had to start every song from an ipod without any rehearsal. It was hell on them, but they came across as total pros.

I have to admit in all of my Progpowers (and I have attended every one since the beginning) never, ever thought there would be a visit from a real police officer. That being said, I think Glenn has prolly had his bullsh@t meter go off the charts this year, it was probably that proverbial "CHERRY ON TOP" to a taxing year.

Yep.

~Jen

+1

Amaranthe deserves special kudos. For those unaware, Lufthansa lost their luggage that contained all of their backing tracks. We met at 1100 that morning to discuss the situation as their stuff would not arrive in time. I seriously thought they were going to have to go with an unplugged show. However, they worked all day to get the tracks from their producer overseas into a basic format that would work. Thus, they had to start every song from an ipod without any rehearsal. It was hell on them, but they came across as total pros.

Yep.

~Jen

WOW. I would never have guessed in a million years. The set sounded tight as a drum, they all looked like they were on top of their game, and IMO they were one of the highlights of the festival as far as the energy they brought to the stage.

CHEERS

Paul Cashman's generosity. The dude always comes through for his friends.
My friend and Dragon*Henchwoman Carol getting consistent compliments on the "I Love Symphonic Female-Fronted Atmospheric Euro-Metal" t-shirt I bought her last year!
Seeing a lot of my friends, near-ish and far.
Getting to tell Jon Oliva that "When the Crowds Are Gone" is one of my favorite songs by anyone.
Winding up getting in a 45 minute conversation with Urban Breed about random stuff.
Talking to Alan from Primordial, especially his heartfelt story about knowing Phil Lynott when he was growing up in Ireland.
Da Vinci's, great food, nice people, late hours. An enthusiastic recommendation from me.
Exploding Mike.
The guys at the Century Media table for cutting me a great deal on a Judas Priest "Sin After Sin" t-shirt.
Kevin and Keith Byrd from Seven Kingdoms passing the Derek Tatum Acid Test. All those guys (and gal! ;) ) were cool, and great new song, too!
ProgPower being the weekend following Dragon*Con. While I will be wiped out, it also means I have to ask for fewer days off from work! \m/
And lest I forget, all the hard-working crew and bands that performed that weekend!

JEERS

The Artmore. Very unimpressed with the way things were this year.

Thank you, you are very kind.

No, I was not referring to compliments. I was referring to the asshat that yelled during the Amaranthe set while there was a quiet moment "take your shirt off" to Elize. I was so embarassed and upset about that. I also read throughout the forum that other people had heard asshat "yelled out" comments to the female singers made by idiotic sexist pigs...not cool!

Glad to hear it, and you're welcome. =] Hope to see you next year!

CHEERS

Paul Cashman's generosity. The dude always comes through for his friends.

I do what I can.

Getting to tell Jon Oliva that "When the Crowds Are Gone" is one of my favorite songs by anyone.

That was one of the best performances of the entire weekend, too. I'm still in awe of his keyboard drumming. Well, really, all of the workshop. :worship:

Winding up getting in a 45 minute conversation with Urban Breed about random stuff.

Only 45 minutes? I have to assume that wargaming did NOT come up. :D

Talking to Alan from Primordial, especially his heartfelt story about knowing Phil Lynott when he was growing up in Ireland.

THAT was an experience and a tale we'll be able to treasure forever.

Da Vinci's, great food, nice people, late hours. An enthusiastic recommendation from me.

Best discovery of the weekend: their parking lot next to the restaurant, which is free for customers. Now I know I can stop there after a show or when I'm in town for some awesome pizza or, per my friend Ripper, the best wings in the City of Atlanta. :kickass:

my cheers are to Glenn, Jen, Tommy, Wayne, Lara, and the rest of the crew: you guys are amazing. hands down, the best, most hard-working people i have had the pleasure of knowing. thank you for the depths of my world for everything you do for all of us. thank you for my wonderful family - without you guys? i would be one sad panda!

my only real jeer goes out to myself.