Gigantour Second Stage Bands

BABS

Feb 11, 2002
Visit site
[Side-note from Babs - "Thank God for Mike Portnoy!"]

MEGADETH mainman Dave Mustaine has posted the following message in the "Forums" section of the band's official web site:

"I am going to go riding today on my horse Matjse (first time on a horse since Cassandra died last year), and start back on my routine to get ready for the summer tours with the gym. Sure, we burn calories on stage, but somehow I can't shake my urge to EAT, and I know there are going to be a lot of healthy, good-looking people out this summer on this tour, and I wanna be one of them too. I am going to check on the surfboards that TDK surfboards are making for me and Justis and get some sun in while I am down there. No 'courthouse tan' for me!

"I went to this fabulous meeting last night called 'Third Tuesday' with Pam, and Trevor and Andrew, and saw Guido there. What a trip! It came at a good time too, because I was feeling really run down and blue, and I got my spiritual batteries charged.

"Anyway, I spent a few hours yesterday checking up on the bands that are on the list for the second stage; going to their web site, seeing their faces, their bios, their videos, etc. It was a very interesting morning. To give you a glimpse at who was submitted and seem to be in the running, they are DRY KILL LOGIC, DIECAST, OTEP, OVERKILL, PAIN OF SALVATION, TAPROOT and Mike Portnoy's recommendation, SYMPHONY X.

"There are still many more bands to review, and now I am waiting for their music to be sent. Once I hear how they sound, I wish to talk to them so that they will understand what I am trying to do, and how important their involvement will be with me on this maiden voyage.

"There will be no 'I'M THE TOP GUY' attitude on this trip, as I will make sure and treat everyone, in every band, like they were my very own. I wish to make this the best festival for these groups that they have ever been on; I know it's a huge undertaking, but kindness and respect go a long way. Plus I know a lot of these guys are fans and/or are better than me as a guitarist anyway. So I look forward to learning what I can from them.

"These updates will cease to be as informative in my column here, as they will be once the Gigantour site is launched next month. And I think it will be a fun environment for fans of all the bands.

"Lastly, THE DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN will join up with us after the first week or so, and we are looking for a perfect fit for the second slot on the main stage until they do. I hope to make a decision that will benefit us all as much as the final line-up appears to have done. Also, as I mentioned before, out of respect for the other festivals out this summer, we are purposely trying to put some space in-between our arrival and theirs. There should be no big dilemma what to do, because there will be no conflicting days of 'Do I go here, or do I go there?'

"To the Aussie fans, you never cease to amaze me, and we are in talks to bring Gigantour down there now. It may not be with any of the current line-up of other bands, but at least we are starting the preliminary footwork. This means, either this year or early next you may see this festival down there (maybe even in Perth).

"I love you all."

I read that the second stage bands will have 20 minute sets, with a half an hour headliner. Seeing Pain of Salvation and Symphony X are in the running, I really hope those set times won't be final. The last thing we need is to see otep and taproot play longer than PoS on Megadeth/DT's festival, haha.

Same here! HOWEVER, its not final, its just who's in contention. I think they should start it earlier, give all headliners 40 mins, FF an hour, headliners 90, and second stage 30 mins. I think w/ a 20 minute set, SX should play the Odyssey and SPLIT =O

A lot of people here will most likely hate Diecast, but their guitarist, John Kita, is a real nice guy.

I have to say that this is an eclectic line-up. I don't care for all the bands, but that's cool - it's going to expose people to styles they haven't heard before. I mean, the possibility of Pain of Salvation (good) and Taproot (not my thing) on the same bill. That's going to be some diverse crowd, and I'm all for it.

HOLY SHIT!!!

PoS on this tour would make this year the perfect show year. There's nothing else I could possibly ask for from the music gods if this goes on.

I was really opposing the idea of a second stage for more bands. I don't like having to split my attention.

BUT...

Splitting the workload, the gear, the physical space requirements, it makes a whole lotta sense. But I want each band to be able to show fans what they are like, without having to feel squeezed for time.

45 minutes per band on the second stage could give us 6 really good second stage bands. Build a big rotating stage like Ozzfest has, allow the next band's gear to be loaded, plugged in, miced, and ready lickety split would allow more bands as well.

I just wanna know that for each band, I get to see a 'full' setlist. Not five songs and then puff puff give!

Twenty minutes? That's stupid.

Anway, I will never, ever, ever, ever in a billion years like Dave Mustaine if he puts one of those pop bands on the second stage and gives the boot to PoS or Symphony X.

Actually, I think I'd rather PoS didn't get picked and they do a headlining US tour.....but I guess that won't happen.

dusro2 said:
I dont belive this.

I know, I have to keep pinching myself too!

I swear, I'm gonna die broke from this summer/fall, but I'll go HAPPY!

[NOTE: I don't have plans to die, but you get my point.]

Really. If Symphony X get picked they just need to play "The Divine Wings Of Tragedy" and get off the stage if they're only going to have twenty minutes. They couldn't even get the Odyssey in in that time frame. I guess they'll be touring for their upcoming album, though.