Headliner #2 Confirmed:

I suspect that the growl haters are just silently disappointed. There are a lot of usually very active posters that have had nothing to say in this thread.

I don't know why growly-haters would be disappointed this year or any other as long as Glenn sticks to his marketing plan...

Yes, the standard progressive & power metal bands are my bread & butter. However, if you don't step outside the box just a bit & build some diversity, you will begin to stagnate. I cannot count on the same fans to attend over & over because they want to see the same bands or styles again & again. New fans are the lifeblood of this festival and taking chances will bring them in, hopefully to stay once they experience things. Now will I head down the death/doom/black/whatever road? Of course not. Prog & Power will always dominate, some years more than others. However, I cannot say that I may not dip my toes into the darker water whenever I feel it is appropriate and helpful with the roster.

None of the bands on the PP9 roster will be performing a 100% straight-up "death/doom/black" set (and no band ever has performed a 100% straight-up "death/doom/black" set at PP). Only one band this year (Amorphis) may chose to growl extensively. Nevermind that only one of the three songs Glenn chose to introduce Amorphis with in this thread contains some growling, and little at that - probably because their vocalist has a sweet-sounding, impressive mid-to-low melodic singing voice that the band is choosing to showcase more at this time).

None of the other bands this year utilize growls to any significant extent, if at all. I'm not a fan extensive growling, but when only 1 of 12 bands (8.3%) on the roster may end up using that style extensively (but not exclusively), there are going to be few with reason to be upset with this year's roster based on vocal style (that is, unless they wanted to hear a lot of the growlies this year, in which case they won't).

NP: Spheric Universe Experience - "So Cold"

I don't know why growly-haters would be disappointed this year or any other as long as Glenn sticks to his marketing plan...

They would be disappointed because there are a lot of lesser known bands on the roster this year. The deciding factor for a lot of people, this year even more so than others, was the headliner spots. There is a faction of attendees who don't want to want to make the trip to simply see some unknown bands, regardless of how talented you, I, Glenn, or anyone else think they are. Many of those same people have no tolerance for growls. None. Zero. Therefore, they're disappointed and some won't be attending.

There are other anti-growlers who will be attending, but hoped for a "better" headliner. Those anti-growlers are disappointed in the selection of Amorphis, rather than being disappointed in the festival as a whole.

To their credit most have remained silent and haven't turned this into an anti-growling bitch session.

Nicely put Magius.

I hope my rant wasn't perceived as bitching because I am not. It is what it is and it's not the growling that is keeping me away this year as I have explained in my rant. It is the overall unknown factor of 95% of the music. I personally cannot justify the trip. Does it make it a bad festival, hell no. Will it be a bad concert with bad music, hell no. I have no doubt that I would enjoy it just as I did when I went to Houston to see Krucilbe, Magistal, and SMC. I didn’t know anything by these bands but I was in town and I thought I would take advantage of seeing some bands in the genres I love. I had a great time, as I am sure I would at this PP. But, I will not already be in Atlanta like I was already in Houston at the time.

I have bitched before and to be honest, there is no reason to bitch… at least not for me. My likes are not as broad as the likes of most here or the attendees of PP. Glen is running a business and thus needs to cater to the broader paying audience base.

I wish all nothing but the best of times at this years PP and I hope to return in 09.

EDIT: I think it is important to add that I have been unfamiliar with many bands that have played PP and a year or two down the road I get into them and then wished I had seen them. There is plenty of prog on this line up and that is right up my alley. I am sure I will look back at some time and wish I had gone. Every ProgPower USA line up looks better in hind sight to me than it did at the time of each show.

Here's the bottom line... if you don't like the roster and is disappointed, stay home. I'm sure it'll sell out regardless of a few whiny people in the forum who didn't get their requests..

Anyone up for providing an Opeth and Amorphis comparison? I'm a big fan of Opeth and I'm curious as to the similarities. So far the vox and some of the musical style sound similar, but does Amorphis anywhere near Opeth's progressiveness?

morphis is more similar to bands like Sentenced and Paradise Lost.

Britt

Cool to read this. It's been years since I've listened to any Sentenced, but when I first heard the Amorphis clips that Glenn posted on Tuesday, the Sentenced sound buried in my memory became active again. That only means that one reminded me of the other - not that I'm claiming two sound a lot alike.

They would be disappointed because there are a lot of lesser known bands on the roster this year. The deciding factor for a lot of people, this year even more so than others, was the headliner spots. There is a faction of attendees who don't want to want to make the trip to simply see some unknown bands, regardless of how talented you, I, Glenn, or anyone else think they are. Many of those same people have no tolerance for growls. None. Zero. Therefore, they're disappointed and some won't be attending.

There are other anti-growlers who will be attending, but hoped for a "better" headliner. Those anti-growlers are disappointed in the selection of Amorphis, rather than being disappointed in the festival as a whole.

To their credit most have remained silent and haven't turned this into an anti-growling bitch session

I do agree with your post above, but to clarify, in your original post (below), you made no mention that the number of lesser known bands may also be contributing to your suspicion that that growl haters are silently disappointed. That's a big (and very legit) talking point which you introduced after I replied to your original post.

I suspect that the growl haters are just silently disappointed. There are a lot of usually very active posters that have had nothing to say in this thread.

No offense, but... because harsh vocals SUCK! I've been a metalhead for 33 years, owned thousands of releases in that time, but still could never get into the growling shit.... sorry. I think I speak for the people that dislike the growling vocals when I say this, but it's so talentless and pointless. There's no emotion in it for me - it just sounds like pain. And before you slag me for saying I should check out the band first, I actually bought three AMORPHIS discs over the years, hoping that they would drop the cookie monster vox, and to some degree they have, but still, not a good headliner IN MY OPINION. I know I am in the minority here but hey, those of you that dig it, rock on.

I agree 100% dude. I was really hoping for either Blind Guardian, or Evergrey. Or even Sym X, or whatever. I do disagree however that it should not be only Prog & Power Metal bands though, as to avoid it ebing stagnant. It's called ProgPower for a reason! You wouldn't expect to see Pagan's Mind headline the Milwaukee Death Metal fest would you? I will check out some of Amorphis's NON-Death stuff, but if I'm not overall impressed I can always just go back to the hotel early Friday night! At least I.E. is headlining Saturday night! They are the best fucking band in the universe, & I've waited a LONG ass time to see them live! This might be the ONLY time I see them on this tour.

Unless what Todd told me pans out the way it is planned that is! But, alas, I'll keep that secret until they are oficially announced! :Smug:

Also, at least most of the openers are bands I'm excited about. Too bad about Astral Doors though!:(

Which is why I will not be watching Amorphis' set. No thank you. The rest of the festival are bands I would like to see, and bands I've not heard of prior to their announcement, but I am interested in seeing how they do live.

Which is why I will not be watching Amorphis' set. No thank you. The rest of the festival are bands I would like to see, and bands I've not heard of prior to their announcement, but I am interested in seeing how they do live.

Yip and I aren't huge fans of 100% growls but have learned to appreciate them in some music (Epica, After Forever, Opeth to name a few). We make it a point to listen to at least 2-3 songs of every band and see how they grab us live. Sometimes you're surprised by something you didn't think you'd like.

I'm not one that likes a lot of the growling. You've got to give Silent Waters a chance. The beginning has some growls in it but they mix well with some really cool melodies. The album is great from beginning to end.

I'm not one that likes a lot of the growling. You've got to give Silent Waters a chance. The beginning has some growls in it but they mix well with some really cool melodies. The album is great from beginning to end.
Silent Waters is awesome, my #1 this year, but I think a lot of you people who aren't fully into the growls would like the previous disc .. Eclipse, even better. Both discs are very, very good, but Eclipse does contain less growling, and is a little more upbeat sounding album. Silent Waters is kind of dark and brooding, and a little heavier on growls.

Britt

I do agree with your post above, but to clarify, in your original post (below), you made no mention that the number of lesser known bands may also be contributing to your suspicion that that growl haters are silently disappointed. That's a big (and very legit) talking point which you introduced after I replied to your original post.

You may not have noticed, but my original post was in response to skyrefuge's post that there was less negative reaction to the announcement than might be expected.

...Really though, the reaction actually seems a fair bit less negative than I expected; I'd almost say the growly-defenders have made more noise in this thread than growly-complainers.

Silent Waters is awesome, my #1 this year, but I think a lot of you people who aren't fully into the growls would like the previous disc .. Eclipse, even better. Both discs are very, very good, but Eclipse does contain less growling, and is a little more upbeat sounding album. Silent Waters is kind of dark and brooding, and a little heavier on growls.

Britt

I am going to look into these. Thanks.