First Headliner Announcement (and roster change)

Not interested in Iced Earth too much(although I do like them a little). But Rob Rock replacing Astral Doors is awesome! I always felt Astral Doors was a little too generic. Rob Rock has put out some really good stuff since 2000 though.

That is in no way a reflection on the talent of Rage, regardless of whether they get played on your radio show or not.

FYI Rage does get played on my show even though I'm not a fan (I know you're not questioning that I'm just saying). My show isnt about me, its about supporting the scene I love so dearly.

Everybody seems to be claiming that this will ensure a sellout. I don't know that I agree. It's not like IE doesn't tour, or that they won't tour after this. If they don't tour, then yeah, it will sell out. If they announce a tour, I don't think IE will really draw a hell of a lot.

If this is the first concert with Barlow back, then it will sell out fast.

If they tour before PP, then it would be just another show.

The bands that have been announced prior to IE aren't the ones that would attract the large crowds, but IE changes the perspective. Even if Ripper was still at the microphone, they'd still get a decent showing.

Kudos to Glenn for pulling this one off. :headbang::kickass:

No doubt you and some others didn't and don't like Rage. That's fairly irrelevent, as that happens to evey band. It is, however, highly doubtful that 2/3 of the crowd (800 people) walked out because they didn't like them. Never in the history of ProgPower USA has 2/3 of the crowd walked out on a band because they were unliked. Glenn doesn't sign bands that's likely to happen to, much less a headliner.

The fact is that few bothered to get to know them, because their back catalog was too much to bother with. The lack of familiarity resulted in the majority walking out because there was something they were more interested in going on outside.

That is in no way a reflection on the talent of Rage, regardless of whether they get played on your radio show or not. I would agree with Zod that if they only had 3 or 4 albums the familiarity, hence the attendance, would have been far higher.

Why is it so hard for you to understand that not EVERYONE feels a desire to "get familiar with" every band that plays... Maybe it truly is that people didnt/dont like them.Thats not a knock against Glenn because he does manage to get a solid mix for EVERYONES enjoyment.

Accept the fact that Rage just wasnt well recieved that year and let it the F go .

Everybody seems to be claiming that this will ensure a sellout. I don't know that I agree.
PP nearly sold out with Jorn headlining. Is more evidence needed?:heh:

It's not like IE doesn't tour, or that they won't tour after this. If they don't tour, then yeah, it will sell out.
The last time they played NYC, they sold 1,300 tickets and people we're scalping them on eBay for $350.

If they announce a tour, I don't think IE will really draw a hell of a lot.
I seriously doubt they will. They just don't have time, given Matt's schedule. I wouldn't be shocked if this is their only U.S. performance of the year.

Zod

"Elizabeth I am coming to join you honey" "This is the big one" Holy Shit Batman, now this is awesome news, ICED EARTH, And ROB ROCK oh man can it get any better?? Oh yeah there is still one more headliner to be announced. Can you say SELLOUT? I sure can. Thank you Glenn from the bottom of my old heart you just made it young again, and with the VOLBEAT sponsorship I am a happy camper.

...and don't forget that there is a whole PREPARTY that has not even scratched the surface yet. :headbang:

When Jon said less touring I think he meant one Euro and N.A. tour per album, not like 5 dates every 10 years.
If you think about it, Matt probably only has three weeks vacation. And you have to suspect, he might actually want to spend that time with the wife and kid. Add to this equation, Jon's back issue. Being on a tour bus, and getting bounced around, absolutely kills him. I suspect Iced Earth will play big Euro fests and very select state-side dates.

Zod

Iced Earth...no surprise.
See ya in 2009.This lineup doesn't even begin to excite me,and I hate to say that.Theres something for everybody with this lineup,but overall its too generic for me.I've seen IE three times and the last time was just that...the last time.We won't even begin on the Jon credibility issues...on that note...Beyond Fear in 2009!

,but overall its too generic for me. quote]

I've been criticized a lot of way over the years about my rosters, but "generic" is a new one to me. I'm honestly not sure how to even take that? I would normally assume that your tastes have moved on beyond the normal prog/power circles, but the Beyond Fear rally cry confuses me further (as I do not see them as genre breaking..just well done power metal).

It's all good though. Thanks for the support in the past and hopefully we will see you in 2009.

I think what the naysayers are forgetting is that this can be classified as an Iced Earth REUNION. The classic lineup with Barlow as the frontman. That is why many of us are saying that this sucker is gonna sell out within hours. Glenn did a great job landing this. Now, the only question remains is how can he top this? With IE, the PPUSA name has been cemented. Now, who does Friday night?

If you think about it, Matt probably only has three weeks vacation. And you have to suspect, he might actually want to spend that time with the wife and kid. Add to this equation, Jon's back issue. Being on a tour bus, and getting bounced around, absolutely kills him. I suspect Iced Earth will play big Euro fests and very select state-side dates.

Zod

Zod, he also has RDO's. If he is on a 5-2-5-3 schedule (Again, speculation), he may very well have that weekend off and not need to blow throgh Vacation time.

Theres something for everybody with this lineup,but overall its too generic for me.

Generic???? How so? What I see in this line-up is the most diverse that Glenn has ever put together. There is you straight ahead progressive, Melodic power, straight power, mid-tempo progressive and then there is VOLBEAT. Volbeat is gonna be the biggest treat for everyone. I wouldn't miss this line-up and btw there is still one headliner and 4 showcase bands to be announced.

Here's a good Wednesday Night suggestion Stephen Lynch, hehehehehehehehe

I cant believe people are bitching. Since #3 when jon introduced Blind Guardian, all I have ever heard and wanted was to see Iced Earth play this thing. Yes, they have toured semi regularly in the past, but this is basically a massive show to their crowd. Not the Megadeth crowd, not 150 people in some shitty bar (back in 1998)

If you dont like the band, dont go. I didnt like the lineups in 05 and last year. Did I bitch and complain? No. I just didnt buy a ticket.

I am so pumped up for this it isnt even funny.