Headliner #2 Confirmed:

Listening to the songs on their Myspace page. I am digging the songs that they have. I have never really listened to these guys so I will take the recommendations and start with Silent Waters.

I'll absolutely echo Britt's sentiments Fates - give these two platters your undivided attention. I could see you warming up to them a thousand fold over time.

Jason

Will do Jason. Who knows, if it clicks, I may see you again this year. :kickass:

I'm not sure why the growling vocals are turning so many people off of Amorphis. They growl in like 1/3 of their songs. In addition, they're some of the most tastefully done growls ever. Some songs the guitars are higher in the mix than the growls, making them more like atmospheric background than anything.

Threshold had some growling on their latest disc. Don't see many Threshold haters on these forums. It's because it was tastefully done. Same story here, just done more often.

I'm not really trying to change any minds on the topic of growling. I just think it's unfair to label Amorphis as a "cookie monster" band. Just as their name implies, they're much too variable to be labeled and tossed aside.

I'm not sure why the growling vocals are turning so many people off of Amorphis. They growl in like 1/3 of their songs. In addition, they're some of the most tastefully done growls ever. Some songs the guitars are higher in the mix than the growls, making them more like atmospheric background than anything.

Threshold had some growling on their latest disc. Don't see many Threshold haters on these forums. It's because it was tastefully done. Same story here, just done more often.

I'm not really trying to change any minds on the topic of growling. I just think it's unfair to label Amorphis as a "cookie monster" band. Just as their name implies, they're much too variable to be labeled and tossed aside.

Even when Amorphis was more of a "cookie monster" band, they weren't a "cookie monster" band. Honestly, Primal Fear is a much harder band than Amorphis so I don't know why anyone would get so turned off by the intermittent growl. Personally, I hope to hear some stuff like Black Winter Day thrown in the set. Do they still play stuff from that period?

Even when Amorphis was more of a "cookie monster" band, they weren't a "cookie monster" band. Honestly, Primal Fear is a much harder band than Amorphis so I don't know why anyone would get so turned off by the intermittent growl. Personally, I hope to hear some stuff like Black Winter Day thrown in the set. Do they still play stuff from that period?

I did a google search for their recent set lists. The most current one I could find was from the Far From the Sun touring days. However, I think it's enough to prove growling haters will be happy with this band. Here's a song by song for the unfamiliar:

DELETE SET LIST

Sorry to do it, but you need some sort of spoiler alert, etc because there are those that try to avoid finding out in advance.

Glenn

Summary:
Out of 14 songs, 5 are growled a lot while 3 more have a growled line or two. That means 1/3 of the songs they played at during a show WHERE THEY FIT IN were growled songs. The implication here is that it might be even further toned down for ProgPower. That doesn't sound like a reason to hate these guys. Hop on iTunes and download Alone, My Kantele, Divinity, The Way, Elegy... you'll be ready to "suffer" through an extreme song or two for those songs.

Kimavir is to Amorphis as nailz is to Elvenking.

^That's a nice setlist, although obviously I think you can swap out alot of songs from the previous couple albums for brand new ones if you want to think about what a PP set might be. Drowned Maid is a killer song, I hope they play it - and Black Winter Day. Those are the two best songs off of Tales. I wonder if they try and update them at all or just do it all growled...I suppose we'll find out.

Obviously everyone can' tbe pleased with everything, but people ought to at least try and dislodge the stick from their asses a bit and give a different kind of band a shot. Silent Waters is one of the best albums of 07, and its probably Amorphis' most folk-oriented album. Its full of great melodies and arrangements, really strong atmospheric elements...its a different sort of thing to have at PP, sure, but people who aren't that familiuar with them but are dismissing them out of hand will probably be surprised if they give 'em a chance.

DELETE SET LIST

Sorry to do it, but you need some sort of spoiler alert, etc because there are those that try to avoid finding out in advance.

Glenn

Sorry, figured it was old enough to be ok, haha.

Anyway, the main points to take away from the set list would have been this: a couple classic, must play songs from their heavier period. Two or three of those will be growled. The rest will be newer and lighter. This band's set will be less intense than Mercenary, Into Eternity, or Orphaned Land. As far as I can tell, all of those bands went over well.

DELETE SET LIST

Glenn

Considering the set-list was from the time they had the old singer and were pursuing a different direction, I don't think it spoils anything.

When I saw them in 2006 with the current singer, they had growls all over the place and played a good number of songs from the old days.

Considering the set-list was from the time they had the old singer and were pursuing a different direction, I don't think it spoils anything.

When I saw them in 2006 with the current singer, they had growls all over the place and played a good number of songs from the old days.
Exactly ... there will be growls a plenty. Their setlists seem to stay pretty similar from place to place, and based off of what I've seen we'll be looking at a 50/50 or 60/40 ratio growls to clean.

Britt

I don't know about the rest of you guys out there, but I'd be disappointed if there were no growls at all at PPUSA. For example, I just LOVED After Forever's set last year, partially due to the cookie vox. Sander rules! Anyway, see y'all at Gigantour!

Kimavir, you are way off on your setlist. That setlist you got was OLD, OLD. Go to www.metalsetlists.com and you'll see some more recent ones. About half of the set will be tracks that contain growling. People are just going to have to deal with it.

Britt

The latest set list they have is Nov 05 in Moscow. That makes it less than a year newer than mine. The second newest set list they have is from the same tour as mine.

They may be going yet another direction now, but it's still not a heavily growling direction. Let's not squabble over percentages, because they're obviously going to change from tour to tour anyway. The point is, this isn't a band that needs to be dismissed just because you dislike growling. From Elegy on, there are songs with growling, it's true. However, they barely account for half the songs, and many of them are mixed with clean vocals anyway. I think more of the doubters are going to enjoy the set than those that have to just deal with it.

The latest set list they have is Nov 05 in Moscow. That makes it less than a year newer than mine. The second newest set list they have is from the same tour as mine.

They may be going yet another direction now, but it's still not a heavily growling direction. Let's not squabble over percentages, because they're obviously going to change from tour to tour anyway. The point is, this isn't a band that needs to be dismissed just because you dislike growling. From Elegy on, there are songs with growling, it's true. However, they barely account for half the songs, and many of them are mixed with clean vocals anyway. I think more of the doubters are going to enjoy the set than those that have to just deal with it.
I'll send you a PM with those latest setlists .. there's a few over there on that site, but they are mixed in with some festival setlists. There's at least one of two I've seen from 07'.

I think the majority of the folks will enjoy they if they give em' half a shot. There will surely do several tracks along the lines of House Of Sleep, Alone, Divinity, and say The Way.

I actually think if they stick to what it seems they normally play it should please both the newer and older fans.

Britt

I'm not one that likes a lot of the growling. You've got to give Silent Waters a chance. The beginning has some growls in it but they mix well with some really cool melodies. The album is great from beginning to end.

Also, people should note that Silent Waters is somewhat growl-heavy early. It starts with a 1-2 punch on "Weaving the Incantation," but as the CD progresses, the more melodic tones become more assertive. Several later songs have much-reduced or (for example, "Black River") absent growls.

I've compiled some Amorphis setlists from the past two years .. if anyone is interested PM me, and I'll send them to you.

Since you posted there, I assume you got the late '07 ones from their forum?

The fact that they've almost completely ignored the 'Tuonela' through 'Far From The Sun' era (pretty much just one song from those three albums) works out nicely for me because the two previous times I've seen them they covered that era pretty heavily.

Neil