Metalfest rumors/news?

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
Let's just say I have a morbid curiousity in regards to Koshick. Considering the event is just 23 days away and not a single band has been announced, is it even going to happen this year?

Glenn H.

I didn't hear anything about Koshick this year but reguardiang Rob Grohl...

AFTER WEEKS OF CONSIDERATION WE HAVE DECIDED TO INFORM ALL, THAT DUE TO THE FOLLOWING REASONS, METAL REDEMPTION I WILL NOT OCCUR IN 2005.

1-TOTAL LACK OF INTEREST WITH THE SO CALLED LOCAL METAL FANS TO SUPPORT A QUALITY AND INEXPENSIVE SHOW.

2-THE RECENT HUGE FINANCIAL LOST OF FELLOW PROMOTERS IN THE LAST FEW MONTHS WHO ALSO TRIED TO DO A QUALITY AND FAIR TICKET PRICE SHOW.

3-OTHER LOCAL PROMOTERS WHO BELIEVE THEY HAVE THE ONLY RIGHTS TO DO SHOWS AND PREVENT BY ALL MEANS NOT TO ALLOW HEALTHY COMPETITION.

4- AND THE MOST INSTRUMENTAL CAUSE. THE RIDICULOUS AND ALMOST CRIMINAL PRICES BANDS AND AGENCIES ARE LOOKING FOR TO PLAY SHOWS.

THANKS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE SUPPORTED US. THERE WILL BE SEVERAL ONE NIGHT SHOWS BEGINNING WITH BODY COUNTS ONLY AREA SHOW ON SEPT.10TH. PLEASE CHECK OUR WEB SITE REGULARLY FOR THE OTHER SHOWS. HAVE A GREAT SUMMER AND SEE YOU IN 2006.
ROB GROHL & SCOTT MIKENNY RG CONCERT PROMOTIONZ

He had Agent Steel, Raven, and a couple other decent bands lined up but it was shit for the most part. They need to stop this pay to play bullshit and get together 8 or 10 good bands and leave it at that.

That's funny, I've been checking the site regularly myself wondering the same thing. Maybe you've put him out of business.... hahahaha! I said myself after seeing my first Metalfest in '02 followed by the legendary PP3 later that same year that I'd never go to Metalfest again. So poorly run-- a huge fight in the beer line, arena lights on bright during performances, scheduling problems galore, and the Angel Dust no-show. It was a mess. And, true to my word, I'm going to my 3rd PP show this year, without a second visit yet to Metalfest.

Bravo to you and your crew for doing it up right. ProgPower is the most 'comfortable'/fan-friendly of all the dozen or so festivals I've checked out here and abroad.

"The total lack of interest from so called metal fans"?? That's funny, I didn't see or hear one thing about this other than whispered gossip on this board. There was no advertising that I saw. There was nothing on any news site that I saw.

That being said, I would not have gone if this guy was related to the Metalfest fiascos in any way. I was there for the infamous "Virgin Steele vs. Death metal curtain" and the 20 minute shortened set for Sentenced because the kids earlier in the day went too long. Not for me, thanks.

It was just a matter of time.
Not sure if anyone when to that Sun N Steel thing in Florida???? Man, that was AWFUL...

rottingflesh said:
It was just a matter of time.
Not sure if anyone when to that Sun N Steel thing in Florida???? Man, that was AWFUL...
It was basically in my backyard and I didn't even consider it.

Some of the bands listed on those metalfests are just ridiculous, is it a wonder that people won't take a gamble on them? What a waste of everyone's time. Best story I ever heard was of a guy who didn't even attend the metalfests, but asked to be allowed in to browse the stuff at the vendor tables (rotfl).

The March Metal Meltdown of 2004 was actually not too bad. Alot of those pay to play/awful bands but things ran rather timely and the big bands got their share of time. I saw Twisted Tower Dire, Attacker, Raven, Fozzy, Seven Witches, and Symphony X the first night. And I saw Trivium, M.O.D., Vital Remains, Testament, and Obituary the second night. Aside from this one year the March Metal Meltdown = the March Metal Letdown.

TheGraveDigger said:
The March Metal Meltdown of 2004 was actually not too bad. Alot of those pay to play/awful bands but things ran rather timely and the big bands got their share of time. I saw Twisted Tower Dire, Attacker, Raven, Fozzy, Seven Witches, and Symphony X the first night. And I saw Trivium, M.O.D., Vital Remains, Testament, and Obituary the second night. Aside from this one year the March Metal Meltdown = the March Metal Letdown.

I don't know if it is a "letdown" aside from 2004. I remember seeing Pain, Primal Fear, Anvil, Amorphis, and others one year. Plus, I also saw ShadowsFall, Virgin Steele and Witchery way back around 1998-2000.

Done right, this had the potential to be a good thing. No ProgPower, but still a good thing for the scene. Now, it's shot.

You know what's really sad? I live in Milwaukee and haven't heard a peep about this. After checking out the "official" Metalfest website, I had to laugh. At least Koshick is consistent - EVERYTHING about the fest is lame. I was curious as to what hotels they were suggesting for folks to stay in while here since the fest is no longer downtown near all the big hotels, and when I clicked the link all I got was a link to the Orbitz site. LOL. Nice. I also loved the "more bands TBA". Well hello...the festival is 19 days away...that seems like something you'd want to have finalized fairly well in advance. Seems like everything Koshick does is a striking example of how NOT to run a festival. He could learn a lot from Glenn, his polar opposite :)

Why would he even have the fest?
He announces the crap line up 20 days before the fest?
Even if he had some incredible bands playing why would you go? They probably wouldn't be there - since he is known to do this.
I hope Koschick and his associates ( Grohl etc..) just go away. These are the people who gave American fests a horrible name in the first place. You can say what you want about the bands chosen for either PP or BWBK but at least you know if you go to either fest it will be a very well run/highly organized metal event.

Aeturnia said:
You know what's really sad? I live in Milwaukee and haven't heard a peep about this. After checking out the "official" Metalfest website, I had to laugh. At least Koshick is consistent - EVERYTHING about the fest is lame. I was curious as to what hotels they were suggesting for folks to stay in while here since the fest is no longer downtown near all the big hotels, and when I clicked the link all I got was a link to the Orbitz site. LOL. Nice. I also loved the "more bands TBA". Well hello...the festival is 19 days away...that seems like something you'd want to have finalized fairly well in advance. Seems like everything Koshick does is a striking example of how NOT to run a festival. He could learn a lot from Glenn, his polar opposite :)

I live less than an hour from Milwaukee, and I only went to ONE of his fests, and that was only because Primal Fear & Jag Panzer were playing. EVERYTHING else about that fest sucked! I wanted to go when Angel Dust was supposed to be there, but I'm glad I didn't make the effort....

From a pretty reliable source, I've heard Koshick has no money. He still owes bands from past festivals also. He's a joke and should be put out of his misery once and for all. I've gone to three of his fests and they are run as badly as humanly possible.