My final Rockstar Supernova thread

Cheiron

Jan 11, 2006
New album out today. No I didn't buy it. But its on a service I subscribe to. The first thing to do is to completely ignore the review over at Blabbermouth. Mostly because that reviewer has no clue what he is talking about. While Supernova certainly advertised the hit bands the musicians were in, and he's write the artists didn't have much to do with the writing for those bands; Gilby did have a lot to do with his solo band (obviously), and Newsted had a lot to do with Echobrain.

So onto the music. Lucas says he wrote 5 of the songs. Fine. But I hear a lot more influence from Gilby and Butch Walker.

The music was meant to be on the radio, and to have the goal of playing some future large venues. So lets compare it to other bands with that goal. Its better than what is on the radio. When I turn on the radio I'm listening to a lot of music that does nothing for me. It sounds like crap, no passion, no creativity. Rockstar Supernova is not exactly an original band. But they aren't bad either. Butch Walker is one of the best producers in the business, and the quality of the sound on this album stands out for me. The melodies for the songs are easy to get into. They stand out, and they will stand out on the radio (if it gets play), purely because it sounds a bit different. The songs, It's on, It's all love, Can't bring myself to light the fuse (probably the best song on the album) are all solid.

This album is definitely an 80s hair meets 90s/2000 alternative music. Which isn't a bad blend. The songs that we heard during the show I have to say are the weakest. Because they are the most simple, unimaginative, and almost trendy songs they have to offer. Oh yeah, Lukas seems to be able to enunciate magically. He sounds really good. Studio magic. Good job Butch. Underdog is an odd song. It goes from being their show song (the intro song), to having some pop sound, to switching up to something different, and back to the pop sound.

So in total. Its better than a lot that is on the radio. Isn't good enough that I'd buy it and listen to it a lot of times. Some of the songs have too much 'pop' to them. If you liked the show, its worth downloading.

There is NOTHING, and I repeat NOTHING, hair band like AT ALL on this cd. Sounds like they are trying to be like Stone Temple Pilots mixed with a 70's rock sound to me....

There is NOTHING, and I repeat NOTHING, hair band like AT ALL on this cd. Sounds like they are trying to be like Stone Temple Pilots mixed with a 70's rock sound to me....

I hear it in some of the melodies, temps, and moods. But its fine to disagree.

Butch Walker is one of the best producers in the business, and the quality of the sound on this album stands out for me.

I know next to nothing about Supernova, but I will say that Walker's previous band The Marvelous 3 put out one of my favorite albums of all time: ReadySexGo!

This is one turd that can't be polished...even by Butch Walker.

Sad to say, I expect you are right. With all due respect to Jason Newsted (by all accounts a pretty cool guy), this whole thing just reeks of "yet another commercial hard rock band." Which, in the 1990's, probably means they have a post-grunge sound.

Have I mentioned yet on this board how much I despise post-grunge? No? Well, here goes: I am usually a "live and let live" kind of guy, heck I even like some nu-metal. But commercial bands trying to sound like they are "alternative," no thanks. The reason real alternative bands were alternative was because there was no appeal to the mainstream. This unending wave of post-grunge craperroo tries to have it both ways apparently, and the result is a drab, lifeless, artless musical atrocity. And it annoys me even further that the labels are now trying to sell that same wretched sound they've been pushing for the past 10 years as a return to straight-up "rock 'n' roll."

DIE POST-GRUNGE.

And Happy Thanksgiving to everyone else.