My top 10 of 2010

ApolloFC

Sax-Man
Sep 18, 2009
Greensboro, North Carolina
I had to actually go on metalstorm so that I could remember what albums were released in 2010. I wasn't sure I was going to make even 10 before I started to make this post. I'm putting this list in alphabetical order to make it easier on me.

1. Blind Guardian - The addition of the orchestra blew me away. Not only one of my favorite albums, but one of the best live performances I've seen.

2. Dream Evil - Dream Evil's Dragon Slayer was one of my first metal albums along with the likes of Nightwish - Wishmaster etc. Sure this album is nothing really new but its still got the dream evil sound. Stoked to be able to see them for the first time this year.

3. Joe Satriani - I liked this album a lot more than his last release.

4. Kamelot - This album took me a while to get into. Its grown onto me.

5. Overkill - Soooooo much better than the last one they put out. Overkill remains one of the few thrash bands that I like along with the likes of Artillery and Testament.

6. Pain of Salvation - Easily in my top 5. Much like everybody else I had a very hard time getting into this album when it first was leaked/came out. Didn't listen to it for like two months or so and then gave it a proper listen. Fell in love with it and ended up buying it at PPUSA. Can't wait for RSII.

7. Rage - I've really enjoyed the last couple of rage releases. They blew me away with their Speak to the Dead album with the orchestra. New one may not have as much orchestra pieces but its still a great album.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0IZiTueHk[/ame]

8. Seven Kingdoms - I keep on listening to it so it must be in the top 10 somewhere. They put on a great live show too. Sabrinas vocals are infectious at times.

9. Seventh Wonder - Ok this one. I love it instrumentally. But I still have no idea what its about. The last album it was easier to paint a picture with the lyrics, this release not so much at least for me it wasn't. Anyone care to fill me in on what this albums about lol? Its still a great album. These guys blew me away at PPUSA. What you heard live is what you heard on the cd and I just had to get a group hug from them as a way to thank them for being so badass.

10. Tetrafusion - Great album. Theres a lot of everything going on here. Jazz, prog rock, prog metal, hints of core. This kid has got a great set of pipes and the other members are fantastic. This is one of those albums where you just have to listen to it in its entirety a few times and then it becomes really.. catchy for a lack of a better term. This isn't my favorite track but its the only one on youtube i think.

Original List
-----------
Blind Guardian
Dark Water
Haken
Joe Satriani
Kamelot
Masterplan
Orphaned Land
Overkill
Pain of Salvation
Rage
Sabaton
Seven Kingdoms
Seventh Wonder
Tetrafusion
Versailles
Yngwie

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, you got me on the Seventh Wonder album. I love the album, but I never figured out if it's a story, or just a collection of random songs. Angel Maker alone makes me wonder WTF.

Well, to be more accurate i suppose, the most recent albums that I really enjoy are from 2008 or 2009 and I'm waiting on those artist's new releases.

I hear you! This was a tough year! A lot of my favorites throughout 2010 had actually come out beforehand. It's a shame, but it happens every year.

9. Seventh Wonder - Ok this one. I love it instrumentally. But I still have no idea what its about. The last album it was easier to paint a picture with the lyrics, this release not so much at least for me it wasn't. Anyone care to fill me in on what this albums about lol? Its still a great album. These guys blew me away at PPUSA. What you heard live is what you heard on the cd and I just had to get a group hug from them as a way to thank them for being so badass.
It's not a concept album, each song has a different story. The 30 minute title track is based on a Swedish science fiction poem: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aniara
The Angelmaker is based on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_farming
And King of Whitewater is based on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neck_(water_spirit)

It doesn't. Its just that the last album was obviously a concept album and with a title like "The Great Escape" I originally thought it was going to be an album from like WWII or something with that classical tune in mind.

So, are you saying if it was a concept album or you knew what the songs were about it would have been higher up the list?

So, are you saying if it was a concept album or you knew what the songs were about it would have been higher up the list?

Yes and no. Yes if I had an easier time understanding the lyrics and what the songs were about it would of been a little higher up. I didn't really have to think this much with the previous album. After reading Martin's comment and looking at the wikis I about the science fiction poem I was like: DAMN. Now thats fucking prog! But i still had to figure it out unlike with Mercy Falls. Mercy Falls you were painted a picture it was that easy. In other cases, Devin Townsend's Ziltoid for instance, the music is absolutely brilliant. The lyrics were just icing on the cake and it was easy to follow the story, i didn't need a wiki page or anything. It was easy to understand who the characters were and understand the plot.

No because there are concepts albums out there that I like, ie the Genius Rock Opera or other Pain of Salvation albums (BE for example) or even Operation Mindcrime that are easy to follow as well but I don't think they would be near my top album lists.