Name an album or new group that..

Cheiron

Jan 11, 2006
In the last 3 years, will be still listened to and considered a classic in 15-20 years. (metal only for this thread).

I'm curious what people think, because this has been 'bothering' me a bit lately, that while I have heard lots of good albums in the last few years, I don't know if I've heard an album (particularly a new group), that in 15-20 years people will be saying, 'yeah they defined a genre' or 'one of the greatest albums ever.' I could be wrong. There are some that I think could be. Just not sure yet. So want to know what others think. Thanks.

Hank Williams III -- Straight To Hell

This is a classic to me already, I can only hope that it gets the recognition that it deserves in 15-20 years. I know that pushing a Country album on a Metal Forum doesn't make alot of sense, but this album is amazing. The whole attitude of this album has a rebellious feel to it that alot of Metalheads can probably relate to. It also doesn't hurt that Hank III was in Super Joint Ritual and has his own metal band, Assjack.

Which album do you think. Hate Crew Deathroll and/or Are You Dead Yet? (the two albums from them released in the last 3 years).

CoB has been around for what 9 years now, so they aren't completely -new-, but I think I get your point.

Pagan's Mind - Celestial Entrance (2003)... comes to mind. It's one of the best discs of the past few years, and it probably appeals to a wide variety of metal fans. It should appeal to the prog fans, and the power fans.

Orphaned Land - Mabool (2004) -- After a seven year or so hiatus OL comes out with a monster of a disc, that was quite the epic. It also seems to appeal to a wide range of folks.

Evergrey - Recreation Day (2003) -- Not my favorite of theirs, but probably the disc that gained them their greatest jump in popularity. I would think just about anyone who likes Prog or Power metal has this one, and enjoys the heck out of it.

Britt

Cheiron said:
Which album do you think. Hate Crew Deathroll and/or Are You Dead Yet? (the two albums from them released in the last 3 years).

CoB has been around for what 9 years now, so they aren't completely -new-, but I think I get your point.

Yea, I know they're not brand new, but they're one of the standout bands of the last 10 years that single handedly defined an imitatable (is that word?) sound.

I can't speak for Europe, but I'd say in the US it was Hate Crew that put them on the map.

Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys the Legacy

There are very few if any bad songs ont his 2 disc set, all songs are great. Everyone should have this in their collection, and I think they do. That alone to me is one of the key points of a classic.

But there have been many great albums over the last 3 years it's really not easy to pick anything as the ultimate CD, even the best songs will get tiresome if overplayed. But if you are asking about songs that you'll dig up in a few years and enjoy them still or even moreso, well I can name so many.

The last few Nightwish CDs, Freedom Call's Eternity(I might even say this above Keeper 3),Anything by Edguy like Hellfire Club, Blind F'ng Guardian ANATO.

I can't choose sorry :(

Jasonic said:
No, seriously man.... err... really?
I consider myself a Helloween fanboy, but that is easily one of the weakest albums in all of Helloween's lengthy catalog.

I was waiting until someone else said that. Agreed with you 200%.

If you put it like 'yeah they defined a genre' - then Nightwish really did set the frames for the genre of symphonic/operatic metal. Not only that, they have also reached the sales numbers usually reserved for the mainstream corporate poppers, which has been an amazing achievement for a metalband.

None.

When I think of classics, I think of "Operation: Mindcrime", "Ride the Lightning", "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son", etc. Has there been a disc released in the last three years, that I think will one day stand along side those releases in terms of quality, originality and popularity? No. Not a single one.

Zod

I don't know about how original some might consider it, but I can certainly imagine considering NOVEMBERS DOOM - PALE HAUNT DEPARTURE as amazing in 15 years as I do today
(Though I know only a few of you here might be familiar with them)

Jasonic said:
I don't know about how original some might consider it, but I can certainly imagine considering NOVEMBERS DOOM - PALE HAUNT DEPARTURE as amazing in 15 years as I do today
While I agree with you that it's an excellent CD, can a disc that sold 12,000 copies be a classic?

Zod

I think many people will look back at Angra's Temple of Shadows and realize that it was a power metal masterpiece and kick themselves in the ass for not acknowledging it sooner.

Jasonic said:
No, seriously man.... err... really?
I consider myself a Helloween fanboy, but that is easily one of the weakest albums in all of Helloween's lengthy catalog.

Um.. the person said name something that will still be considered a classic in the next 15 years, that was released in last 3 years( "In the last 3 years, will be still listened to and considered a classic in 15-20 years. (metal only for this thread).").

I did not say it was better then Better then Raw or Time of the Oath, Time of the Oath is my all time favorite Helloween album. I also do not think Keeper 3 is their weakest album from their catalog, that statement is just so not right, after The Dark Ride and Rabbit Don't Come Easy, I think Keeper 3 is a sigh of relief, and stands well on it's own merits despite being better then the previous 2 CDs making it look better regardless.

*EDIT* P.S. Chameleon and Pink Bubble Go Ape nullify your statement about Keeper 3 being the worst Helloween Album, they are so bad I didn't even want to think about them when writing my post, and if you like those albums, then you truely are a bigger Helloween fanboi.

*EDIT #2* Name a bad song on the Keeper 3 album that you don't like excluding "Light the Universe"? You are saying King for 1000 years is bad, Born on Judgement Day, Silent Rain,etc. are all bad songs? Sorry, I just get worked up when a band like Helloween gets dissed, they practically invented power metal.

General Zod said:
While I agree with you that it's an excellent CD, can a disc that sold 12,000 copies be a classic?

Zod

I had to delete my original suggestion, because I realized it's older than 3 years. With that said, I don't think the number of copies sold totally marks an album as classic. It's part of the equation for sure, but there's a lot of crap out there that sells thousands of copies each year.