Name an album or new group that..

Entrerie said:
*EDIT* P.S. Chameleon and Pink Bubble Go Ape nullify your statement about Keeper 3 being the worst Helloween Album, they are so bad I didn't even want to think about them when writing my post, and if you like those albums, then you truely are a bigger Helloween fanboi.

Pink Bubbles rocks hard. I guess that makes me a bigger Helloween fanboy?

This is highly debatable, because most of the bands that we love haven't really hit the mainstream and can't really therefore be considered super classics. Iced Earth's next effort, if it really was pulled off well and hits the mainstream full force, might reach classic status. Hell, nothing that even Maiden or Metallica puts out anymore is really 'classic' to the degree that Number of the Beast or Master of Puppets was.

If scream stuff truly is the future of rock and metal, I think Trivium will probably gain the most recognition and thus, Ascendency will be considered a classic.

Two thoughts -

Circus Maximus - The First Chapter. If the band makes it big, the debut will be a big reason.

Now, I'm going back 6 years, but I predict Symphony X's V will be labeled a classic, if it isn't already.

Steve in Philly

Hard call but I would like to think that these discs will remain popular for the up coming years.

Circus Maximus - The 1st Chapter
Dream Theater - Train of Thought (balls and chunk)
Orphaned Land - Mabool
In Flames - Come Clarity (I wanted to say Clayman but thats from 2000)

This sort of question is way too subjective anyway, but I think we can all agree Sushi is the best food in the universe! =)

edgeofthorns said:
I had to delete my original suggestion, because I realized it's older than 3 years. With that said, I don't think the number of copies sold totally marks an album as classic. It's part of the equation for sure, but there's a lot of crap out there that sells thousands of copies each year.

There are many albums that sell millions of copies today that will be quickly forgotten tomorrow, true. But excellent, original, or innovative musicianship alone doesn’t result in a "classic." To be a classic it has to do at least one of the following, if not both:

1. It has to become ingrained into peoples' memories; therefore, to become a classic it has to have been heard by someone. Not necessarily by the general public, but at least by a large enough portion of a specific sub-culture. A large enough portion that it could spontaneously spark a discussion by any two randomly meeting members of said sub-culture 25 years after it was released.

And/or

2. It has to be influential enough that elements are adopted by future generations of musicians, and the influence should be commonly cited.

I don't see anything that's been released in the last 3 years that qualifies regardless of how much I personally like a lot of it.

Entrerie said:
This sort of question is way too subjective anyway, but I think we can all agree Sushi is the best food in the universe! =)

This is the truth!

I think trying to consider anything released in the last three years as a future classic is too hard. Three years is not a long time to really see how a disc stands the test of time. Five years or older might be a better way to go.

dt

DarkTide said:
Orphaned Land - Mabool (2004) -- After a seven year or so hiatus OL comes out with a monster of a disc, that was quite the epic. It also seems to appeal to a wide range of folks.

Britt

I couldn't agree more with the mention of Mabool, it's absolutely brilliant. Also, I think Disillusion's debut album Back to Times of Splendor will stand the test of time well.

3DimensionalAperture said:
And since when did album sales have anything to do with quality?
Who said album sales had anything to do with quality? I merely suggested popularity has something to do with being a "classic".

Webster's defines "classic" as follows - serving as a standard of excellence : of recognized value : historically memorable.

How can something "serve as a standard of excellence", be "of recognized value" and be "historically memorable" if only 12 people have heard it? There's a big difference between a CD being one of your personal favorites and being recognized as a "classic".

Zod

I'll tell you in 15-20 years, but chances are nothing to my knowledge. Maybe BG's Nightfall? Maybe....Even then I doubt it. Glory To The Brave or Legacy Of Kings may be looked upon as a classic album purely because of the fact that it pretty much caused a resurgance of power metal. While many of the discs mentioned are great and such, they will not be considered classics (except by yourselves of course) by the general metal public.

General Zod said:
Who said album sales had anything to do with quality? I merely suggested popularity has something to do with being a "classic".

Webster's defines "classic" as follows - serving as a standard of excellence : of recognized value : historically memorable.

How can something "serve as a standard of excellence", be "of recognized value" and be "historically memorable" if only 12 people have heard it? There's a big difference between a CD being one of your personal favorites and being recognized as a "classic".

Zod
I initially thought "none" like yourself. I then thought it over and decided to base my answers on what will be a classic among fans of prog and power metal. I answered based on the small scale instead of the grand scale. None of the albums I listen too will ever come to being widely accepted classics.

Britt

DarkTide said:
Pagan's Mind - Celestial Entrance (2003)... comes to mind. It's one of the best discs of the past few years, and it probably appeals to a wide variety of metal fans. It should appeal to the prog fans, and the power fans.

Britt

AMEN! IMO the greatest Metal album ever recorded.

DarkTide said:
I initially thought "none" like yourself. I then thought it over and decided to base my answers on what will be a classic among fans of prog and power metal. I answered based on the small scale instead of the grand scale. None of the albums I listen too will ever come to being widely accepted classics.
Exactly. There are those CDs that are individual favorites, and among those there are those which will stand the test of time. But even that latter group isn't neccesarily a "classic" in the sense that discs like OMc and 7Sof7S are.

Zod