Rowed for miles and miles upstream
Passed by Aldeigjuborg
Seen Lake Ilmen gleam
Ingvar took the lead
After Holmgard as agreed
What the end of Lovat meant
Was soon to be seen..." :kickass:

also just something to think about...

when did a country's culture become a fad or flavor of the month? VIKING METAL is called that for a reason. Vikings are part of Scandinavian culture so why would it not be prevalent in their music?! Sure it may be flavor of the month to us here in the USA, but like people have been discussing already Einherjer have been doing it for YEARS, hell, even Yngwie was writing songs called "I Am A Viking" and "Now Your Ships Are Burned" back in 85 so as far as i can tell it's not going anywhere, and nor should it.

Here is my problem:

1) I don't like bands that have a "theme" and only write about that one theme. I think it's silly.

2) I don't see very many bands that lean on their cultural origins as a form of music - certainly nothing else that approaches this recent massive surge. Just because I'm from America doesn't mean I'm going to only write songs about the Industrial Revolution, American Civil War, and the Great Depression - and base my songwriting off of a bunch of Stephen Foster songs.

On second thought - maybe I should. I'd probably start a musical movement and attract clones in no time.

2) I don't see very many bands that lean on their cultural origins as a form of music - certainly nothing else that approaches this recent massive surge. Just because I'm from America doesn't mean I'm going to only write songs about the Industrial Revolution, American Civil War, and the Great Depression - and base my songwriting off of a bunch of Stephen Foster songs.

On second thought - maybe I should. I'd probably start a musical movement and attract clones in no time.

No offense, but sounds like you're completely oblivious to a whole lot of metal then.

Here is my problem:

1) I don't like bands that have a "theme" and only write about that one theme. I think it's silly.

Some of the best metal albums are "concept" albums, based on one theme.

Here is my problem:

Why?

And as far as bands using thier cultural heritage as an inspiration for their music? Why is that a problem? If you look outside of the US There are a ton of great bands (even outside of metal.) that incorporate traditional cultural aspects into their music. That's a rather narrow view you've taken....maybe you just need to broaden your horizons a little bit. This is nothing new, the only reason we're starting to see more of it is because we're starting to see more of the world in general, thanks in large part to the Internet. There's an entire *genre*. It's called "World music", and there is a lot of fantastic stuff to be found therein. There's also, I think, a desire for people to produce art that better coincides with their cultural identity, but still maintain a more modern sonic aesthetic. Some bands put this to amazing use (Orphaned land...Hell nearly all of Amorphis' lyrics are based on old poetry, to name a couple everyone here should recognize.) You're really missing out on a ton of great music.

This. Some of the best albums -period-.

Here is my problem:

You forgot about writing songs about coming to this country and killing the natives here just because people wanted more land. :mad:

Also you must not be a rock n roll fan, most of those songs are about sex, which could be considered a theme. o_O

Of course, as usual, my post is in jest and I ask how many concept albums you have in your collection and perhaps a Gwar album hiding someplace. :)

sweet -- "new to The Su" music :)
(once again, showing my lack of knowledge in the realm of Prog/Power/Viking but my appreciation for getting to learn!!)

PS---Glenn, don't forget: if they need the good quality strings for that violin, you know I know where to get them :)

No offense, but sounds like you're completely oblivious to a whole lot of metal then.

For the record, anytime anyone says "no offense", it means they are about to say something that will offend the person it is directed at.

I may have been able to word what I said a little better than I did. I realize that everywhere you go there are going to be some bands out there that incorporate music and themes from their culture into their music - and I don't have a fundamental problem with that. But I don't like when bands lean on it. I love when Angra incorporate more latin concepts into their songs (see: The Shadow Hunter), but I would hate a band that blew that to outrageous proportions and in my opinion didn't really have the substance to back it up. It's really an "everything in moderation" issue for me.

I agree. But how many of them are released by bands who devote their entire career to that one specific theme? Note that I'm complaining about a THEME, not a story. Again, it's kind of an "everything in moderation" thing for me.

Yeah, no matter what I say I'm going to get flamed, because clearly I'm in the minority here. I will still give these bands a chance if I have to see them live, but I've had my mind more or less made up about this for quite some time, and someone's not just going to be able to change my mind by yelling at me or calling me close-minded. I can try to rationalize it all I want, but at the end of the day - I don't like it, it's just that simple.

also just something to think about...

when did a country's culture become a fad or flavor of the month? VIKING METAL is called that for a reason. Vikings are part of Scandinavian culture so why would it not be prevalent in their music?! Sure it may be flavor of the month to us here in the USA, but like people have been discussing already Einherjer have been doing it for YEARS, hell, even Yngwie was writing songs called "I Am A Viking" and "Now Your Ships Are Burned" back in 85 so as far as i can tell it's not going anywhere, and nor should it.

I think Faithful Breath had everyone beat by a few years with the Viking metal thing.

Anyway, was watching the Turisas DVD recently and yeah it looks like they put on a hell of a live show. Good addition.

Here is my problem:

i know this is off topic but i just had to throw this in there. why should their culture be like ours? i mean they are ANCIENT civilization, we aren't. plus they have far more history to choose from and write about.

recent surge? we are listing off examples as far back as the 1980's. also it's more than just lyrical subject matter, it's the instruments they use or even the melodies they choose to incorporate into the songs which are also culturally based. Amorphis use tales from Finnish folklore for their lyrics and if i am not mistaken their music is based on traditional Finnish folk songs. Their album Elegy is still a classic of progressive metal in mind.

also ICED EARTH beat you to the Civil War CONCEPT album.

what was the topic again? oh yeah, how much TURISAS is going to lay the smack down this year!!

Turisas is one of my favorite bands....great on disc and live. I think this will add some different flavor to the show. Sure it isnt prog or power....but I think they will put a show on that will amaze everyone. I am glad to hear that they are going to tour. I cant wait to see them do a full headlining set.
I dont see why anyone would complain about them playing...it would be a different story if it was some metalcore band. I think the whole idea of what fits and doesnt fit for the fest is the thinking that will hurt the fest more than do good. I would rather see some different styles tossed in to mix it up. Maybe this is what the fest needs. I think it is great that they are playing.

Too add to some of the comments earlier....sure there are more traditional folk metal bands but the ones that are suddenly more popular are the ones that are out there touring and making a name for themselves. While it stinks that there are bands that made the genre what it is and they are not making any money....thats the way it is for almost every genre it seems.

Sounds more to my tastes than Tyr. I'll definitely check them out! I do wonder though: for a band with a HUGE digital keyboard symphonic sound, why do they not actually have a keyboardist in their band?

Also wik..."You forgot about writing songs about coming to this country and killing the natives here just because people wanted more land." Ah, Viking history of Ireland, Scotland, England, Greenland, Northern France, etc.

Woo! Growls! I thought it was going to be growless for the most part this year. And apparently I'll have to bring more than my plastic sword this year. I'll probably have to buy a hammer and an axe too...

If you weren't already planning on bringing a hammer for Tyr's set.....well, you're just not right in the head. :heh:

Saw Turisas *and* Tyr at paganfest a couple years back. Turisas is *AWESOME* live. Tyr is good too, but it's an entirely different experience....well at least it was then. Dunno if they've changed their act.

They have. At PaganFest, Tyr were definitely the "odd band out" -- by far the least-crunchy (can't really say "softest") band on the bill. When they opened here recently, it was a whole different experience, much more amped up. Tyr and Turisas back to back will be a great combo!

I think TURISAS are a good band and I heard they are great live. As I have said before, I just never really would think a flavor of the month genre would be so prevalent at Prog Power.

As others have said, dismissing Viking metal as a "flavor of the month genre" is pretty damned callous, IMO.

I'll bet the house that you walk away a new fan of 2-3 more bands minimum provided you give everyone a chance. It happens to every attendee.

Just make sure you get the autographed drum-heads and the band-logo carvings out of the house first! :lol:

As for Turisas, IMO they are far and away the best band that was (reasonably :) ) suggested as a potential addition to the fest based on Glenn's criteria. Awesome news; they're great live. :kickass:

Turisas is one of my favorite bands....great on disc and live. I think this will add some different flavor to the show. Sure it isnt prog or power....but I think they will put a show on that will amaze everyone. I am glad to hear that they are going to tour. I cant wait to see them do a full headlining set.
I dont see why anyone would complain about them playing...it would be a different story if it was some metalcore band. I think the whole idea of what fits and doesnt fit for the fest is the thinking that will hurt the fest more than do good. I would rather see some different styles tossed in to mix it up. Maybe this is what the fest needs. I think it is great that they are playing.

Too add to some of the comments earlier....sure there are more traditional folk metal bands but the ones that are suddenly more popular are the ones that are out there touring and making a name for themselves. While it stinks that there are bands that made the genre what it is and they are not making any money....thats the way it is for almost every genre it seems.

My sentiments exactly.