New Band Announcement

Are we allowed to bring swords? I ahven't noticed any at previous PPs but maybe I missed them. Because that would be epic for these guys and Tyr! :hotjump:

foam/plastic ones that is

As others have said, dismissing Viking metal as a "flavor of the month genre" is pretty damned callous, IMO.

Well, it is here in the States.

I think it is a smart move to expand the roster to remain afloat.

My point was simply that prior to viking metal being more mainstream in the States, such a band would not have even been considered for the fest.

Let's be honest here.

Ok - I have said enough. As Glen said, this thread is to be about Turisas. They are a good band, and no doubt will bring it live.

Well, it is here in the States.

I think it is a smart move to expand the roster to remain afloat.

My point was simply that prior to viking metal being more mainstream in the States, such a band would not have even been considered for the fest.

Let's be honest here.

Ok - I have said enough. As Glen said, this thread is to be about Turisas. They are a good band, and no doubt will bring it live.

This might be true, but also remember that the surge in viking metal's popularity also started right around the time that the fest had to start expanding and bringing in bands like Amorphis. Prior to that, there was no need to book 'different' bands because the power and prog bands still drew just fine.

Are we allowed to bring swords? I ahven't noticed any at previous PPs but maybe I missed them. Because that would be epic for these guys and Tyr! :hotjump:

foam/plastic ones that is

A bunch of folks brought 'em in when Elvenking played a couple years back.
Which was an awesome performance, despite the fact that I find their music really boring.

This might be true, but also remember that the surge in viking metal's popularity also started right around the time that the fest had to start expanding and bringing in bands like Amorphis. Prior to that, there was no need to book 'different' bands because the power and prog bands still drew just fine.

Absolutely!!!!!!

I think there is a major difference though in how Amorphis fits and how Turisas fits. Just goes outside of what made the festival special in the first place. Once again, just my opinion.

Look, Chicago Powerfest got the same criticism when booking BLS and Devil Driver. The reality is that any fest has to do what it has to do. Still, it's going to receive some criticism.

There has always been oddballs at PPUSA. I fail to see how Turisas is going any more "different" than Mercenary, Into Iternity, Epica, or After Forever.

PayPal on the way Glenn.

The Swords were for Virgin Steele IRRC.

Look, Chicago Powerfest got the same criticism when booking BLS and Devil Driver. The reality is that any fest has to do what it has to do. Still, it's going to receive some criticism.

So you are trying to say that Turisas is as mainstream as Devildriver and BLS? Can compare apples and oranges

Absolutely!!!!!!

I think there is a major difference though in how Amorphis fits and how Turisas fits. Just goes outside of what made the festival special in the first place. Once again, just my opinion.

The reason Powerfest was criticized was because they went with Ozzfest style bands instead of the "true" metal bands they have had in the past. basically they thought they would be able to cash in on bigger names in sake of helping the fest grow but it backfired way more than they thought. These were the same guys cracking on folk metal but had Pagan Fest be thier pre-show for 2 years.

Times have changed for all fest. Like stated earlier....sure like 5 years ago it was all power / prog but now lots of these bands tour and having those same bands play the fest isnt drawing new people there. Sure Turisas tours here also now, but having something a little different may bring in more locals to the show who may not have considered going. Sure no one is going to travel in just to see Turisas..but it may be that factor that may make a few decide to now. Maybe they like 2 or 3 of the bands playing and they could be that 4th band to make the trip worth while now. With so many tour happening and bands being less and less exclusive.....it is hard to try to stick to just one or two styles and not make yourself extinct. I hope this opens the doors for more different styles of bands to play in the following years.

but having something a little different may bring in more locals to the show who may not have considered going. Sure no one is going to travel in just to see Turisas..but it may be that factor that may make a few decide to now. Maybe they like 2 or 3 of the bands playing and they could be that 4th band to make the trip worth while now. With so many tour happening and bands being less and less exclusive......

Justification: http://forum.atlantametal.net/viewtopic.php?t=3663

That's the lineup shakeup? HOLY MOLY!!! Stormwarrior/Paradox is one hell of a one-two punch. Hell, while I like the Friday lineup...that Saturday lineup DESTROYS!!!

Saturday from start to finish absolutely SMOKES!!!:worship:notworthy:worship: