6 Orphaned Land
7 Symphony X

1 maudlin of the Well
2 Chaos Divine
3 Serenity
4 Edguy
5 Gamma Ray
6 Helloween

Very nice list, but I think Glenn said 1-2 returning bands. Out of those 13 bands, 9 (counting Helloween) would be returning bands.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but after Serenity's cancellation in 2008, didn't Glenn say something like "anyone who wishes to see this band live should book themselves a trip to Europe" or something to that degree? Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Serenity @ PP, but if I'm correct, I don't think it's ever gonna happen.

Friday
1. Amaranthe
2. Dragonland
3. Falconer
4. Myrath
5. Shadow Gallery
6. Sabaton
7. Nightwish

Saturday
1. Dark Moor
2. ReVamp
3. Angel Dust
4. Freak Kitchen
5. Redemption
6. Rhapsody of Fire

Why? Because of my affiliation w PPUSA? Heck, Glenn doesn't tell me everything...

I wasn't suggesting that. I just thought you were coming to the side of fellow countrymen, aren't you and Artillery from the same country?

So I see their name mentioned twice, is there something new going on with them that I'm not aware of? I guess I'll check.

1. Lost In Thought
2. Serenity
3. Wolverine
4. Psychotic Waltz
5. Jag Panzer
6. Pain of Salvation ( please almighty one make it happen, please :worship:)
7. Rhapsody of fire

Saturday;
1. Cynthesis
2. Halcyon Way
3. Unexpect (that would be unexpected :erk:)
4. Falconer
5. Devin Townsend project
6. Symphony X

Friday:
1. Sinbreed
2. Cynthesis
3. King Crow
4. Wolf
5. Artillery
6. Jag Panzer
7. Sabaton

Saturday:
1. Lost in Thought
2. Jolly
3. Crystal Skull
4. Grand Magus
5. Devin Townsend
6. Rhapsody of Fire

So I see their name mentioned twice, is there something new going on with them that I'm not aware of? I guess I'll check.

Well, they did release a new album this year. Plus, I think of many older thrash bands, they would fit pretty well with the fest. At least those are the reasons I picked them.

I realize this probably is too "foreign heavy", but anyways...

1. Eumeria
2. Theocracy
3. Tankard
4. Falconer
5. Astral Doors
6. Vintersorg
7. Andre Matos

1. Artizan
2. Cythesis
3. Loch Vostok
4. Wolverine
5. Hellacopters
6. Symphony X

And I'm still hoping for Spiritual Beggars....:worship:

didn't the Hellacopters break up?

Friday:

1. Eumeria – because they are a new talented band that deserves a shot and is getting lots of buzz
2. Cynthesis – best effort by the Tipton brothers in a long time and great progressive cops
3. Sinbreed – Glenn likes them and they are power metal
4. Cloverseeds – more EMO metal (ala Riverside) and they are on The Laser's Edge label
5. Grand Magus – popular with the masses and Glenn
6. Tarja - ditto
7. Pagan’s Mind – It’s time for them to headline

Saturday:

1. Lost In Thought – talented if not original progressive metal with buzz
2. Kingcrow – Glenn loves them and they have some following
3. Hell – why the Hell not? Old school metal, great album and fun to boot
4. Engel – Glenn loves them and the oddball this year
5. Devin Townsend – popular with the masses and funny showman (ala Freak Kitchen)
6. Masterplan – Jorn is back and will pull ticket sales.

This is my best guess at reading Glenn’s mind. Personally many of these are not my favorite or even likes. I’d much prefer to see Silent Memorial, Cloudscape, or When The Empire Falls. But only Cloudscape has the albums and following to pull any ticket sales.

The likelihood of Symphony X or Sabaton seems remote and I am surprised to see them show up on these lists. Both bands now tour regularly in the States. Not even an original (one-off and special) show would warrant their addition to ProgPower again. Don’t get me wrong, I like both bands or at least I enjoy Sabaton’s fun shows even if the music and cheese is over-the-top. I just don't see the need to have them at PP.

This is my best guess at reading Glenn’s mind. .

You realize that I'm not going to book a single one of those bands now just to piss you off right? :Smokedev:

The one thing I do want to point out is in regards to your suggestion on regularly touring headliners not being invited back. Those days are coming to a very quick and abrupt end. I'm trying to put a bit of years between those that have played already though so the new crowd coming in will have a chance to see the band on a real stage like at our venue compared to some of the shitty places those bands are still playing.

I have had just about everyone that is an established headliner already and most are touring at some point. Kamelot & Hammerfall from last year where touring/had toured already. Therion/Santuary type special shows are the exception, not the norm.

Granted, there are still some exceptions out there and they are on the consideration list...but getting harder & harder to pull off for various reasons that I will not go into.

Btw..the thoughts behind your list were well done regardless.

7. Pagan's Mind
6. Psychotic Waltz
5. Freedom Call
4. Falconer
3. Amberian Dawn
2. Triosphere
1. Lost in Thought

6. Rhapsody of Fire
5. Sirenia
4. Heavenly
3. Amaranthe
2. Powerwolf
1. Sun Caged

You realize that I'm not going to book a single one of those bands now just to piss you off right? :Smokedev:

I would expect nothing less. :heh:

The one thing I do want to point out is in regards to your suggestion on regularly touring headliners not being invited back. Those days are coming to a very quick and abrupt end. I'm trying to put a bit of years between those that have played already though so the new crowd coming in will have a chance to see the band on a real stage like at our venue compared to some of the shitty places those bands are still playing.

Really? Well that is a change. Maybe for the better. But I question the ticket draw of such a decision. While I will agree the stage at PP is better than the local bar stages, is it really that special? It's certainly bigger and has better lights but the backdrops and stage props still have to be kept to a minimum. So why pay to go to Atlanta for a band performing on a regular basis in the local area? Where's the bang for the buck?

So why pay to go to Atlanta for a band performing on a regular basis in the local area? Where's the bang for the buck?

You are glossing over the main point though. There are only a handful of established headliners that have yet to play the festival and they are damn near impossible to book. I don't have much of a choice. It's not as easy as you think to simply go get a band that hasn't played yet (or they probably would have already played). I would argue that a solid, established headliner is more of a pull than a questionable, mid-tier band that is placed in a headline position regardless if it is exclusive. Call it the "adahar prinicple." :heh:

You are also focusing solely on the headliner draw when it's the entire roster that sells the ticket. I will always stack the rest of the roster with exclusive appearances. Futhermore, I sell tickets to the entire U.S., not just the tour hot spots. Ask the folks in Alabama, Iowa, etc how easy it is to catch these tours. I sell tickets to a lot more new folks than you think. Those that have been around since the beginning are less than 40% these days (and those are the core of this forum which I maintain scues your logic).

Kamelot was on tour & Hammerfall had toured earlier last year. Both had toured the U.S. numerous times. I had sold 98% of my available tickets for that show prior to the Kamelot tour cancellation announcement. Hell, Hammerfall held the crowd on Saturday night better than any band in years. How do you apply the exclusive headliner appearance logic to that success?

The bottom line is that if putting a roster together was as easy as everyone thought, then there would be a hell of a lot more festivals out there to compete with. It's easy & awesome to be an armchair quarterback though when it's not your ass on the line though right? :loco:

The bottom line is that if putting a roster together was as easy as everyone thought, then there would be a hell of a lot more festivals out there to compete with. It's easy & awesome to be an armchair quarterback though when it's not your ass on the line though right? :loco:

Fair enough. There are many bands that previously played that I'd love to see again. Whether they are "headline" bands that fit your definition maybe another matter. I've tended to prefer the opening and middle bands in the past few years. Many of the headliners failed to live up the status or hype in the past two to three years.

I am always up for seeing Pagan's Mind, Redemption, Jon Oliva's Pain, Andromeda, and Seventh Wonder again. Many of my other festival favorites are now history or extremely rare: Superior, Balance Of Power, Savatage, Nightingale (rare), Angel Dust, Threshold (with Mac), Dreamscape, Conception, and Stride.

Friday

1. Cynthesis
2. Amaranthe
3. Lanfear
4. Dark Moor
5. Mercenary
6. Adrenaline Mob
7. Pagan's Mind

Saturday

1. Anthriel
2. Cloudscape
3. Sons Of Seasons