Progpower 5 submissions and requests

It seems we're talking about two different things. Or maybe not. I don't know.

When I say progressive I mean the band has actually ventured into territory they haven't explored before. I don't buy into Progressive Music as a genre. That is just giving something a tag so it can be classified. Progressive is moving ahead.

Solefald released a very progresive album with Neonism. Then they de-progressed with the dismal Pills... Now with In Harmonia they are back to the sound of Neonism, which can be given the Progressive Metal tag, but has not pushed anything further and is just re-treading old paths.

I confused myself. You know what I'm saying. :lol:

I do, and that now makes more sense. I think both terms can apply with progressive music. Both meaning, progressive = avant-garde (i.e. Solefald), and progressive = treading new ground (i.e. Enslaved). That makes U2 & R.E.M. a couple of the most progressive bands on the planet though, you do realize that, right?

Well, here's my list...

TAD MOROSE
RAWHEAD REXX
JAG PANZER
ICED EARTH
WOLF
ANGEL DUST (if active)
MASTERPLAN
HELLOWEEN
LOST HORIZON
PRIMAL FEAR
EVERGREY

Geez, I honestly don't understand the people on this board who are so high on OPETH. I guess the music is alright, but the vocals totally suck. I wouldn't walk across the street to see them...

@steelreign - have you heard the "Damnation" Album or some of the other "slower" Opeth songs. The song "A Fair Judgment" off Deliverence was worth seeing them twice on their last tour. But, they won't be at PPV anyway due to the band taking time off after their current slate of tours. I don't think they will be back by next fall.
Speaking of vocals though, don't give me that Masterplan crap. Jorn Lande was better with Ark. The rest of your list however, I totally agree would be Awesome.

OK, so let's leave off MASTERPLAN and go with the rest of my list for the final lineup! HAHAHA!!!

Don't I wish!

Maybe I'll give OPETH another listen (the CD you mentioned), and perhaps I'll have a revelation...

Since I have every intention of making it to PP5 this time (missed the last one and will miss this one too), I'd very much like to see Thunderstone (Finland) get a shot at American audiences. They toured with Stratovarius and SX this past year, and they were surprisingly good. I think they'd be an excellent new addition as one of the early-on bands, and I think *they'd* certainly be overjoyed for a chance like this.

http://www.thunderstone.org/ -- has samples n' stuff. CD's available at The End Records.

And Pain of Salvation. It doesn't seem like they'll ever play in the US otherwise and I really really REALLY want to see them live at some point!

Heres some bands that would be pretty cool in my opinion.

Virgin Steele The only TRUE band in the "barbaric romanticism" genre. David Defeis is a true metal genius.

Sonata Arctica Timo Tolkki probably hates this band as they blow Stratovarius away.

Twilightning A new band from Finland that combine the "Finnish sound" of Power Metal with elements of hard rock and old school prog bands.

PRETTY MAIDS If Rage can make it over here and even headline then these Danes sure as hell can. One of the most underrated bands in the metal genre.

Vanishing Point a perfect mix of Prog and Power.

Theres my bids.

Ben

Yes, I just heard that Green Carnation is playing PP Europe, which has a damned good lineup this year, every bit as good as the stateside festival (with some overlap in the form of VP and Pagan's Mind.)

Oh wait, the original request was Dead Soul Tribe, I just thought you made a joke about seemingly impractical suggestions in this thread... :)

Blind ( they lyrics just give me the goose bumps )
Shaman - like y'all said before see Andre Matos sing live would be just great, and also see "The Mariuttis" playing lol...what about Carry On with andre on the vocal??
Kamelot - i just lve that band didn't have the chance to see them when they payed on the others PPs.
Lacuna Coil - great feale vocal, great musicians...
Helloween - C'mon Glenn they are living legends!!! and affordable lol

Hey Steelreign!

I really encourage you to give the mighty Opeth a try. They are truely *breathtaking* live. The "heavy vocals" are definitely a bit of an acquired taste, but Mikael Akerfeldt is an amazing musician. There is much of their music that virtually demands the rough/heavy vocal. Buy "Blackwater Park"(send me an e-mail and I'll mail you a copy) for a killer introduction to this band. Just to clarify further, I'm certainly no death-metal fan! Opeth is *profoundly* more than a death-metal band, however. See them with Porcupine Tree this month(and I believe into Aug.) here in the states......