ProgPower USA XI

I think it will be a quick sellout, assuming the economy looks better 6-8 months from now. Even though Hammerfall and Kamelot have toured the US, they are both as legit headliners as we've seen in awhile. And Nocturnal Rites and Tarot are extremely solid pre-headliners. Plus the lower slots have a lot of bands that have gotten a lot of buzz, and not just from the overrepresentation of progheads here.

This lineup is the ultimate fan favorite lineup, at least when it comes to bands we haven't seen before at the fest(Kamelot excluded, of course). In a normal economic year, this is a 10-day sellout.

Really excited for Tarot, Stormwarrior, TYR, and Nocturnal Rites. I am stoked to see TYR with good sound (they played in Chicago w/ Alestorm and the sound system was terrible). I've never seen Hammerfall or Kamelot, but I've been listening for a while so it will be nice to see them though. Hopefully they will put on a unique shows since these bands tour the states more often than other bands usually at Prog Power USA.

My hopes for XII: Hibria, Alestorm, Blind Guardian, Arthemis, and Witchcraft!!!

HOLY CRAP.. I Just realized why Paradox seemed familiar!!!

I got this tape in 9th grade or 10th grade and just dug it up. Revisiting this tonight.

her-front.jpg

Hammerfall, Nocturnal Rites are a dream come true for me I have been wanting to see them two at ppusa for several years now and to have them come at the same show is amazing, I already bought my tickets can't wait to see everyone there! Hammer, and nocturnal are going to be amazing.

Is there any time frame for when Wednesday/Thursday might be announced? Being that tickets are on sale NOW, I'd hope relatively soon. I know I'm not the only one banking on those nights to ensure my trip, so I'd like to know ASAP so I can commit to buying tickets.

The government needs to get its shit together. What happened this year was an atrocity, and it happened at PPVIII at the last minute too, didn't it, with Vanden Plas having to cancel and Primal fear almost getting halted at the airport?

Totally different situation. As I recall, VP and PF that year didn't have work-visas, just tourist visas. If CIS percieves that you are a band coming to perform, you are turned around at the international port of arrival. Which is what happened to VP.

In PP X's case, Glenn went through all the proper channels to apply for work-visas -- and pay the hefty $1,000-per-visa fee that requires -- but for the first time in festival history, the imperial federal government denied the applications.

Prog Power III (the one with Blind Guardian and Edguy right?) did well because it was the first time those bands ever played the US, but now that most of these bands are touring their appeal has worn thin. I fail to see how this show is going to be a guaranteed sell out, regardless of my personal opinion of the bands.

Note, I never said it would be a guaranteed sellout. BUT, all other things being equal, this lineup should sell more tickets than PPUSA X.

The old adage comes to mind: progmetal fans are more likely to 'get into' a powermetal band's set than powermetal fans into a progmetal band's set. It's almost by definition, really.

Note, I never said it would be a guaranteed sellout. BUT, all other things being equal, this lineup should sell more tickets than PPUSA X.

The old adage comes to mind: progmetal fans are more likely to 'get into' a powermetal band's set than powermetal fans into a progmetal band's set. It's almost by definition, really.

I agree with what you say. IMHO there are more power metal fans than prog metal fans out there. Power metal will sell tickets. Glenn probably broke even this year, and if he wants to continue the festival, he probably will have to go a little heavy on the power metal side. Not that I'm anti-prog, but I'm just not a huge fan of it. I've always said that I like a little prog with my power.

Even though the festival did not sell-out this year, it was by no means empty... it seemed to me that maybe 100-150 of the tickets were not sold... if that. Given the economic turmoilt, I'd say the festival was a success!

Considering the aftermath of the Rage effect, and that Virgin Steele didn't really swing the pendulum back the other way, maybe Paradox is Glenn's next feeler in the old-school band area. If they get a good response maybe that'll open up more consideration for old-time bands in the future.

I am happy just to see Kamelot in this setting, instead of something like the Masquerade. I believe that Kamelot will sound good at Center Stage, because all of the bands at the Kamelot show at the Masquerade sounded awful. I just want to hear them when it sounds good. Despite comments about the sound, I think anything can sound good in this arena.

Please keep this thread on topic. If you would like to discuss the merits of prog vs. power or how "prog" Amorphis is, please start a new thread.

~ Jen

When Kamelot is on, they're ON. I've seen them three times, but one particular time in 06 is particularly memorable just for how powerful the performance was, particularly Kahn's singing.

So, my zen attitude says accept what happens, for what we see at the beginning may not be what happens in the end.

I'm excited for TYR, Tarot, Oceans of Sadness, Nocturnal Rites, Seventh Wonder, and maybe even Stormwarrior.

I honestly couldn't care any less about Hammerfall and Spamalot, who had a terrible performance back at PP5

Delain and IllusionSuite may be alright.

I have two words

Seventh Wonder

As soon as they were announced my mind was made up. I would do anything to see them live and now my dreams are coming true.
Thank you again Glenn :worship: :worship: :headbang: :headbang: :Smokin: :Smokin:

Fri:
1. Illusion Suite- Solid Opening Band. Loved their debut release.

2. Stormwarrior- A decent choice. For fans of Kai Hansen esque playing and singing. Their newest release is good. Their older stuff is a bit generic though.

3. Seventh Wonder- OMG THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH. By far the best band on the bill. One of two bands that i would skip this year if they weren't playing

4. Tyr- EWWWWW Viking metal....never been a fan, never will be. Too slow paced for me.

5. Nocturnal Rites- Such a boring power metal band. I've been advocating to keep them away from PP for years. Definitely will have a lot of time away from the venue between TYR and this overrated band.

6. Kamelot- Not sure why Glenn is bringing them back. They tour the US way too often, and i'm pretty sure they're touring in the Fall of 2010 (probably a money saver for Glenn since they're most likely already planning to come here). I'll still enjoy it none the less.

Sat:
1. Paradox- Never heard of them. Not impressed by the samples i've heard thus far.

2. Oceans of Sadness- vocals definitely have an "amorphis" feel to them. I'll give them a chance to win me over. The sample i've heard have been ok. No reason yet to buy their cd's though.

3. DGM- The 2nd band that guarantees me to be there this year. The new album is killer!

4. Delain- Predicted them. Love Delain and very excited about this! However a 4th spot??? seriously???

5. Tarot- Enjoyable music, but not a co-headliner in my opinion. A few decent releases but nothing special. (i guess having the bassist from Nightwish gives you a claim to fame)

6. Hammerfall- Awful awful choice. So boring and overrated. I consider myself more a power metal guy, but I cannot enjoy this band. This is one of two big named power metal bands that i hate (the other being nocturnal rites).

Once again, I will state that some of you are going on your personal opinion of bands while I have to use business decisions, festival decisions, and my gut feeling. To clarify..it's ok to hate the lineup based on your personal opinion of the band. I can respect that totally. However, I draw the line at someone questioning me otherwise unless you have the experience or data to back it up. I will defend myself and call you out on it.

Let's look at Delain since more than one has questioned my judgment on their slot...

1. They have a comparable following to Epica overseas at the time I brought Epica over. In fact, I placed Epica higher at the time even though they had the same amount of albums released. The place was packed for them. Don't look at Epica now. Look at Epica then for the comparison. Epica are now doing their own headline tours here in the States now. I must have done something right....

2. Delain have an actual U.S. record label now. Most of the bands on the roster do not. If you don't think that will make a difference in terms of publicity for the band over the coming year, you have no foresight.

3. Delain sell more records overseas than you are obviously aware of. They are placed appropriately in the lineup based on that fact alone.

4. They have a high profile online in terms of forums, facebook, myspace hits, etc. Like it or not, that does matter and they outrank a lot of the bands on not only this roster, but in the past as well.

5. They balance the roster in terms of style.

6. They have a very wide appeal to females and with new blood outside the typical draw. This is key for continued growth unless inbreeding, sword parties, & eventual death is acceptable to you.

And finally, perhaps I'd like to see Marco perform a guest spot during their set as he does on the albums? I have not spoken with either band about it and have no idea if could happen. However, if I put them back to back (and Tarot does deserve their slot), then Marco will not only be there, but be vocally prepared as well. If you are going to pull off something special, then why not stack the odds in your favor as much as possible.

G.

P.S. "Hold the Heathen Hammer High"...slow paced? hruh?

And finally, perhaps I'd like to see Marco perform a guest spot during their set as he does on the albums? I have not spoken with either band about it and have no idea if could happen. However, if I put them back to back (and Tarot does deserve their slot), then Marco will not only be there, but be vocally prepared as well. If you are going to pull off something special, then why not stack the odds in your favor as much as possible.

I really hope he does The Gathering with them. :kickass: