ProgPower USA XI

This lineup is one of the best IMO. I can honestly say that with the exception of Paradox and Oceans of Sadness that I love every single band and I am really looking forward to seeing them all. I'm not familiar with Paradox and Oceans of Sadness, but will check them out and will probably be pleasantly surprised. Awesome job Glenn as always! :kickass:

I did pick up the Delain CD April Rain because I happened to see it at Best Buy today and figured if Marco Hietala was on it, it should be decent. It was such a letdown. It's a freaking pop album. Sure some songs start with a nice metal riff and double bass attack, but then they transition right into your average pop song verse chorus verse chorus. There are so many layers of vocals that I can't even tell if she has a good voice. The lyrics also were nothing too unique and similar to pop songs ("Stay Forever"). Very over produced and very disappointing. Hopefully they will be better live, because I can't stand this album.

Other than that, I'm very excited for this line up...I mean who would have guessed Stormwarrior? Very nice surprise!

And finally, perhaps I'd like to see Marco perform a guest spot during their set as he does on the albums? I have not spoken with either band about it and have no idea if could happen. However, if I put them back to back (and Tarot does deserve their slot), then Marco will not only be there, but be vocally prepared as well. If you are going to pull off something special, then why not stack the odds in your favor as much as possible.

G.

P.S. "Hold the Heathen Hammer High"...slow paced? hruh?

I like the way you think brother! I thought of the same exact thing once I saw they were lined up back to back... here is to hoping that it does happen!
I am enjoying the heck out of Delain in my commute to work... can't stop playing it :headbang:

Even though the festival did not sell-out this year, it was by no means empty... it seemed to me that maybe 100-150 of the tickets were not sold... if that. Given the economic turmoilt, I'd say the festival was a success!

Moreover, it seemed like there were significantly more people in the venue on Saturday vs. Friday, so it looks like the one-day ticketing made a difference there. More money for Glenn = A Good Thing.

That's exactly what I was thinking. The new CD is killer!
(I haven't opened mine yet, but Ripper has been playing the shit out of it. :lol: )

Or maybe because Tarot have been releasing solid metal albums since 1986. I enjoy Tarot way more than Nightwish.

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but I don't think Tarot had any chart toppers (maybe one in finland and one in japan) until after marco had joined Nightwish.

I'm going to enjoy their set regardless, so don't take this as a "tarot sucks" post....it's far from that

***Edit Tarot had 5 albums pre Macro joining nightwish....only one of these albums made it into the finnish charts for 3 weeks w/ 1 single****
I'm still standing by my "Nightwish bassist claim to fame" remark

Holy shit! Oceans of Sadness!!!!! By far the best band on the roster. Them and Kamelot!!!! I was hoping for a little more prog, like many of the fellow forumers, but a Progressive Doom band is worth 2 DT clone's IMO. Next stop, Opeth for PPUSA XII :D

Ok, so maybe my comment came out the wrong way...

With TYR many of their vocal melodies are monotone and slow paced with very little change in dynamics. Unless a band has a vocalist that has a decent octave range, i rarely find myself enjoying said band.

Also i find the drum beats and the guitars to be redundant from song to song.

And this is not from listening to a song or two...this is after listening to two albums multiple times....they do nothing for me...can't change that.

2And finally, perhaps I'd like to see Marco perform a guest spot during their set as he does on the albums? I have not spoken with either band about it and have no idea if could happen. However, if I put them back to back (and Tarot does deserve their slot), then Marco will not only be there, but be vocally prepared as well. If you are going to pull off something special, then why not stack the odds in your favor as much as possible.

Um, this is exactly what I thought at the time. Sure, we were running out of slots for Tarot, but then? Delain? I'm pretty sure I started jumping up and down, screaming, grabbed Jeremy and said "TAROT IS NEXT! HE CAN DO GUEST VOCALS!"

I dream big. See what you've made me do, Glenn? ;)

I am looking forward to Delain, too. It has kind of been my surprise album of the year, as it's not something I typically dig. But I do dig their latest. :)

I haven't heard Delain yet, but those criticizing the album for being too poppy are actually increasing my interest. I do enjoy female-fronted pop quite a bit. If it's female-fronted pop with some heavy guitars, I'm a happy camper.

I'm not quite clear on what the point of complaining about the lineup is. Just don't see the bands you aren't interested in watching. It's such a simple solution! It's not like anyone is forcing anyone else into watching bands they aren't too thrilled about, so why complain?

Don't like a headliner? You get to go to bed sooner! Or start partying sooner, however your preferences lie.
Don't like one of the other bands? Go get something to eat! Or go into the lobby and chat with others, have a drink, etc...
Or you can hit up the vendor area. They're easier to get around in when everyone else is inside the venue watching a band.

See? Easy! ;)

A metal fest needs it's Britney Spears/Lady GaGa/ Madonna fans too.

There's way more to female fronted pop than those artists......... lol wow... I'll take The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart and Tegan & Sara over most of these opera metal Nightwish clone bands any day of the week.

I'll have to deal with all you Delain haters in some way :saint:

Really though, totally agree with Orbweaver... stop crying! Go do something else :) while they are playing, there is so much to do at this festival, enjoy yourselves!

I for one think this is one of the best line-ups Glenn has pulled together, from bottom to top. I have to say that it is fun to watch some of the armchair promoters voice their displeasure and try to second guess Glenn, now don't get me wrong you are entitled to your opinion, but come on guys your going one on one with someone who has been doing this for 10 years, and I do believe he has learned a thing or two about putting a show together and slotting the bands. This happens every year, you can please some of the people some of the time but you ain't never gonna please everyone.

Then there are some who have no clue as to the personality of this festival, and what sells and what doesn't, the Prog people WILL sit or stand and listen to the power bands, but most and I did say MOST Power people will not sit or stand for a Prog band. It's a fact of life in the metal community, Glenn knows it and tries to go 50/50 to satisfy his paying public.

With that said, i think this is a really balanced line-up, and some of the bands can be classified as cross genre Prog or Power or even Power/Prog, so let's just sit back and enjoy the music and the comaradre that ProgPower USA is know for, and who knows, maybe Shane will surprise everyone with the Showcase line-up, and Hoyt with the Mid Week Mayhem.

Oh by the way Glenn, Shane and Hoyt have done a stellar job each year, and that is all that counts.