So Tate is out of 'Ryche

BIGBANGFREAKOUT.gif

Now I'm intrigued to see what these guys do now. I'm willing to bet that they'll be a decent, metal sounding, Queensryche album coming out in the future. Basically, this is a similar situation to what has happened in the Journey and Foreigner camps...and they still look and sound great! I'll actually make a conscience effort now to attend a show when they come near me.

~Brian~

Now I'm intrigued to see what these guys do now. I'm willing to bet that they'll be a decent, metal sounding, Queensryche album coming out in the future. Basically, this is a similar situation to what has happened in the Journey and Foreigner camps...and they still look and sound great! I'll actually make a conscience effort now to attend a show when they come near me.

Hard to say. Tate has been a driving force for that band for a while now. No guarantee that the guys without him will be able to write better music. It will be interesting, but as with Queensryche the past decade, I'm not holding my breath.

Or Black Sabbath firing Ozzy! :heh:
Or this. But at least Sabbath had a 31 year old Tommy Iommi, who was the core of the band's sound. QR has a 50 year old Michael Wilton.

I just don't understand why people think three musicians, who have never written a decent song without Tate and DeGarmo, will suddenly start outputting great material. What reason could anyone possibly have to believe that? The only song (from the classic period) Michael Wilton wrote by himself was "Deliverance"... in 1984!

People seem to be running around singing, "Ding dong the Wicked Witch is dead." I don't think they realize the Lollipop Guild is now running the show.

People seem to be running around singing, "Ding dong the Wicked Witch is dead." I don't think they realize the Lollipop Guild is now at the helm of the ship.

I think it's more of a case of fans being thrilled that there is now a 1% chance of something good coming out of the camp compared to 0% over the past decade.

I think it's more of a case of fans being thrilled that there is now a 1% chance of something good coming out of the camp compared to 0% over the past decade.

Eh, there has been more than that that has been good IMO, but I think anyone hoping that Queensryche will turn into pre-HITNF Queensryche because of this is going to be disappointed.

I don't understand why everyone keeps saying that Wilton hasn't written anything. He's got a ton of writing credits.

Nightrider
Blinded
Warning
Deliverance
NM156
Before The Storm
Child Of Fire
Roads To Madness
Walk In The Shadows
I Dream In Infrared
Surgical Strike
Chemical Youth
London
Screaming In Digital
Revolution Calling
Operation Mindcrime
Speak
Spreading The Disease
The Needle Lies
The Thin Line
Empire
Resistance
Hands On Heart
One And Only
Promised Land
My Global Mind

Obviously DeGarmo was a huge writer and creator and had his hand in most everything until he left. Promised Land and Hear In The Now Frontier were DeGarmo heavy albums. But to say that Wilton hasn't been involved in the songwriting is just absurd. I don't understand how this is a valid argument, and I've read several posts in various threads saying Wilton hasn't been a major player in the writing.

Perhaps. I guess I'm simply of the opinion that the odds just went from 1% to 0%.

Proverbial definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting a different result. We've tried that for (what? six?) albums now with the Tate regime in place, and it obviously isn't working. Might as well try mixing things up and seeing what results are achieved. Worst case scenario is STILL going to be better than the last album!

I don't understand why everyone keeps saying that Wilton hasn't written anything. He's got a ton of writing credits.
Those that he is credited on, typically say Degarmo/Tate/Wilton, but very few that say Tate/Wilton or DeGarmo/Wilton. You get the sense that he wasn't often the primary songwriter.

In addition, Wilton had a chance to shine when DeGarmo left. However, this was the band's worst period.

Finally, the fact that most of Operation: Mindcrime II was written without him contributing, suggests he didn't have a ton of ideas. If they were trying to recapture the magic of O:Mc, than who better than one of the guitar players who helped pen it? Yet... he contributed nothing. It's hard to believe he was just hanging out in studio, with all these killer O:Mc like riffs, and they chose to let Slater and Stone write it instead.

Perhaps Michael Wilton is sitting on a pile of great Queensryche riffs, that will harken back to the days of The Warning. I just don't think so.

My one and only tattoo is the Queensrÿche symbol, and so I'm a biased fanboi. Tate was my favorite vocalist - followed closely by Dickinson and Halford back in their heyday. That said, I've been so disgusted by their output over the past several albums that I don't bother to see them on tour - especially with Tate's range diminishing over time, and their odd choices - Cabaret, really?

While Tate is certainly the main draw because of his (past) vocal ability, I'd be kidding myself to say I believe that the band has flourished of late. Geoff is still a great singer even with the toll age and cigarettes have placed on his vocal chords, but clearly his heart and mind are not in the same universe as the one the fans of the band crave. Simply look at their 1st week record sales on the past releases, which have each declined dramatically from one to the next, and it's clear the band has lost its way with its fanbase (B'mouth used to put the stats in nearly every article on QR, but it's not in this one.)

Rush, on the other hand, just had 100K 1st week sales and debuts at #2 on Billboard.

While this is sad for me as a fan of the band since the debut, perhaps this will be the proverbial shot in the arm the rest of the boys need to release a metal record worthy of the name. My hope is that Geoff/Susan have been controlling the band's direction, and the other guys have been saving up their metal riffs for a day just like today. It may be a longshot [no, not directed at you, John ;-)] but at least it's a shot, and simply based on the YouTube videos of the Rising West shows - I'm at least willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.