So Tate is out of 'Ryche

Good. I'm glad Tate is gone. I agree with Glenn. Now there's at least a CHANCE. Tate, IMO, was a dictator and I'm sure he had the final say on everything. So, perhaps creating by any of the others within the band was stifled. I'm sure this move would not have been made if the band didn't think they could do it. It's only too bad they didn't do this immediately after Empire. The only way to get rid of a cancer is to cut it out and that's what was done by relieving Tate of his duties.

Those that he is credited on, typically say Degarmo/Tate/Wilton, but very few that say Tate/Wilton or DeGarmo/Wilton. You get the sense that he wasn't often the primary songwriter.

In addition, Wilton had a chance to shine when DeGarmo left. However, this was the band's worst period.

Finally, the fact that most of Operation: Mindcrime II was written without him contributing, suggests he didn't have a ton of ideas. If they were trying to recapture the magic of O:Mc, than who better than one of the guitar players who helped pen it? Yet... he contributed nothing. It's hard to believe he was just hanging out in studio, with all these killer O:Mc like riffs, and they chose to let Slater and Stone write it instead.

Perhaps Michael Wilton is sitting on a pile of great Queensryche riffs, that will harken back to the days of The Warning. I just don't think so.

I'm pretty sure the reason Wilton was always listed last on the songwriting credits is because they were listed in alphabetical order of their last names. There are a few examples where Rockenfield was listed before Tate, as well as Jackson. I'll list some examples of where DeGarmo/Wilton & Tate/Wilton were given writing credit (not to be a dick, but simply as a reference). There are a bunch more songs where credit was given to DeGarmo/Tate/Wilton. I always felt that during the classic period (The EP through Empire), that DeGarmo and Wilton wrote the music and Tate wrote the majority of the lyrics/vocal melodies. If you look at it, DeGarmo probably wrote 60% of the music to Wilton's 40%. DeGarmo always seemed to have a little bit more of a melodic tinge to his riffs/songs, whereas Wilton was more straight ahead metal IMO.

I agree with you that Wilton had the chance to shine once DeGarmo left, but it was obvious even before he left that the bands sound was changing. Was it due to different musical tastes or lack of inspiration? Who knows, but I think its safe to assume that Tate hasn't really been into playing metal/hard rock for sometime now. Does Wilton have the ability to write some tunes that harken back to the glory days? Only time will tell, but I'm happy Todd has gotten the opportunity to shine and that the negative energy that Tate brought to the other members is finally gone. They seem happy, and that's really all that matters. Happy bandmembers usually equals great music and ideas.

Nightrider (DeGarmo/Wilton)
Blinded (DeGarmo/Wilton)
Surgical Strike (DeGarmo/Wilton)
One And Only (DeGarmo/Wilton)

Warning (Tate/Wilton)
Before The Storm (Tate/Wilton)
Child Of Fire (Tate/Wilton)
Walk In The Shadows (Tate/Wilton)
I Dream In Infrared (Tate/Wilton)
Chemical Youth (Tate/Wilton)
Revolution Calling (Tate/Wilton)
Speak (Tate/Wilton)
Spreading The Disease (Tate/Wilton)
The Needle Lies (Tate/Wilton)
Empire (Tate/Wilton)
Resistance (Tate/Wilton)

Interested in seeing where they go, but i am with Zod on this one. DeGarmo and Tate wrote most everything. if they are smart they will just tour and tour and tour and tour and do all the old stuff they haven't been doing for years. it is POINTLESS to do a new album right now. momentum dictates touring non-stop and get the fanbase back in good shape. i know i haven't wanted to see Queensryche in a decade so i am curious once again.

Luckily this opinions on this forum are not the overall consensus. I say bring on a new RYCHE album wih Todd! Really the whole thing about it making no sense to make a new album is what makes no sense. Got that? :lol:

What you want yet ANOTHER Tate inspired snooze fest like the last decade has brought? This might REVITALIZE the other members.

Here's an idea why not criticize the NEW material when it comes out....sounds pretty logical to me.

BIGBANGFREAKOUT.gif

:kickass::headbang::lol:

I just don't understand why people think three musicians, who have never written a decent song without Tate and DeGarmo, will suddenly start outputting great material. What reason could anyone possibly have to believe that? The only song (from the classic period) Michael Wilton wrote by himself was "Deliverance"... in 1984!

Pretty much thinking the same.
It has been over for Queensryhce for a long time now and there is no coming back. And I will not let myself get excited again hoping to see a good album; after Astronomica' I learned to never get my hopes up just to be crushed.
I'm sure these guys will be able to pull off an ok album but nothing more; two factors are missing from that band now.

I look at it this way, worse case senario even if they don't write another good song again, at least have become an enjoyable nostalgia tour again. They have not even been that for years. Whether it is cabaret tours, playing subpar new songs or Tate's lackluster performance on older material, they have not been a band I have seen live in years (and used to see them multiple times on one tour). At least now if they came around playing the greatest hits, I would check them out for sure.

I am a little torn but not surprised. The last few years of Geoff and QR have not been the best and after seeing the Rocklahoma performance on t.v and the past issue this move is understandable. I am looking forward to the new music and hopefully with a singer that can capture the spirit of what QR was maybe that will light a fire under everyone in the band to step it up.

The change can even be good for Geoff Tate. Now he can pursue something new that may even turn out o.k.

All in all nothing can touch Queenryche's early era (EP to Empire).:headbang:

Here's an idea why not criticize the NEW material when it comes out....sounds pretty logical to me.
I'm not criticizing the new material, there's no material to have an opinion on. I'm simply expressing my surprise at the folks who think QR will all of a sudden return to writing quality material. This band hasn't written anything decent in twenty years, and now finds itself without its two best songwriters. The belief that this is somehow a recipe for quality, seems misplaced.

2 of its best writers, and when was the last time they wrote anything worth a shit? Yeah maybe in their prime but DEDICATED TO CHAOS? If thats what great writing is....I guess shit smells like roses too.